Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Who, in Montana, has taken California or Gambels quail. I came across a covey of approximately 15-20 birds. I scratched down a nice triple crowned rooster. They are non-indigenous to MT.
I have hunted upland birds in MT for better than 30 yrs. This is the first quail I have taken in MT. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Interesting. I wonder how they got there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Theeck
Interesting. I wonder how they got there.
Not by their own volition.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm surprised you guys aren't running into California quail in Montana yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would bet that's what the OP bagged.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We come across bobwhite occasionally near some training areas, getaways and released birds no doubt.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What is this "quail" you speak of?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The qual in MT are escapes from private dog training people and the like. They can be hunted whenever and no bag limits as I understand it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
California quail have really taken hold in the Bitterroot Valley. I shoot them there on occasion when I find them off private but they’re largely concentrated in the private bottomlands.

The state doesn’t recognize them as game birds. As far as I know they’re all considered feral and are unprotected.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I figured California quail would be moving to Montana since everything else from California is.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Good work to remove them. By 28 gauge. MTG

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
As mentioned prior the California quail are often seen daily here in the Bitterroot Valley.
The first one I saw was approximately six years ago or so. I have yet to shoot any yet but will given the opportunity.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
We went to the Sapphires in 2019?? and found the farmettes and ranchettes near Hamilton etc to be quite full of the adorable little birds. We didn't shoot any as we had no shotguns along but it looked like an opportunity at some great fun to me.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The history of "quail" in the Bitterroot Valley of western MT is not as simple as it might seem.

I've scoured the reports of upland bird harvest in western Montana in the 1930s-50s which at that time were regularly published every fall in a couple newspapers. Interestingly Charles Thornton was the first person to import German shorthairs into the U.S. just prior to WWII, bringing them to the Bitterroot valley because of the abundance of upland bird hunting opportunities. Ravalli Co. had the #1 harvest of pheasant in the state at that time, amazing since at this point there are probably fewer than 100 roosters shot there annually. There were also reports of large numbers of "quail" shot in the valley at that time... turns out these were Bobwhite quail which had been introduced during intense agricultural settlement there at the turn of the century. There was lots of corn, wheat, apple orchards and sugar beets grown in the valley at that time, which today are nearly non-existent but for the apples. The Bobwhite disappeared sometime in the 50's... really tough winters around here every decade or so.

So then the Valley quail showed up (same species as "California" quail), first in small numbers in the late 80's. I suppose it is possible these were birds released during dog training activities, but I doubt this. This species is a bit harder to raise in captivity and are a poor substitute for Bobwhite in terms of easy husbandry and actually "holding" for pointing dogs. Valley quail are real runners. Bobwhite quail have been available for purchase through the mail from many sources for decades, whereas Valley quail could only be purchased in recent times (and even today cost ~35% more per bird).

In contrast there are natural population of Valley quail immediately adjoining the Bitterroot valley in the Salmon River country of Idaho to the south, and even westward over 4th of July Pass also in Idaho. I believe Valley quail have naturally colonized the Bitterroot valley by radiating northward from Idaho, making a foothold after finding an abundance of year around seed under the backyard feeders of today's residents, many of them on 20 acre lots. They have now "fit in" there largely unhunted and widely appreciated by the people as an interesting and animated addition to their property. For the same reason, it is often hard to get permission to hunt them. Even if one property owner allows hunting access, it often upsets the neighbors.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
That's an excellent reply thanks for the info!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yes, I think these quail have been released by dog trainers. Gonna continue to hunt them for table fare. MTG

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've hunted eastern Montana for upland for many years and have never seen them there. Huns are always around. I wonder if they will work their way East.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Birddog1031
I've hunted eastern Montana for upland for many years and have never seen them there. Huns are always around. I wonder if they will work their way East.
They might make it to eastern Montana if they got into the lower Yellowstone river drainage. But I can't see them getting naturally over the Continental Divide and radiating to lower elevations fast enough to dodge severe winters. They need snow free soil to forage in, big shrubs or tall juniper to roost in, and grain constantly dumped atop snow (a.k.a. bird feeders) to get thru deep winters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Originally Posted by Birddog1031
They might make it to eastern Montana if they got into the lower Yellowstone river drainage. But I can't see them getting naturally over the Continental Divide and radiating to lower elevations fast enough to dodge severe winters. They need snow free soil to forage in, big shrubs or tall juniper to roost in, and grain constantly dumped atop snow (a.k.a. bird feeders) to get thru deep winters.
https://www.montanaoutdoor.com/2023/10/brett-french-reports-california-quail-spotted-near-billings/

Stuff moves a lot faster in the back of trucks.

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 11/19/23.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting enough that this topic has piqued so many upland bird hunters in and around MT. Hard to believe these small bids can weather the severe climates of western MT. They do make for great quarry to hunt. I never get bored with upland birds after the big game season has ended. Looking forward to new and additional posts in this regard. MTG

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 22250rem, 2500HD, 219DW, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,797
Posts18,496,262
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.