Print Thread
Hop To
G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
GWPGUY. I know your all about the 303 . So not likely this one, but it is a real oddity. Have only seen one other one in my life (I don't get out much)! It's a Mohawk semi auto in 303. A neighbor that I've hunted with before in a camp had one, fugly for sure but the dang thing has never ever jammed!!! Like some others I've seen & used. There's one up at Epps now, $599.00 I think. Neighbor has put some venison in the freezer with his, just thought I'd better let ya know just in case it would interest you. Hope ya have a good hunting season!! We're did these come from & who made them??? GWPGUY out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
They are ugly, that's for sure. Those things started life as SVT-40s. A Soviet designed 7.62x54r semi-auto. They weren't particularly well received by their army and ended up being sold off as surplus. A company just outside of Ottawa bought a bunch and reworked them into 303s in the early 1960s. Globe called their "rework" a Model 555.

Globe Firearms was around for about 40 years and went out of business in the early 90s.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Evenin Steve, thanks for the input was always curios about them. My neighbours had the 10 shot clip & one time I was on a deer run just over the hill from him. The doe went his side & it sure sounded pretty good when he opened up, he emptied & never touched a hair..... I guess the the clip would have to be blocked now. I better let him know, think one of his sons still uses it. GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I guess they would be attractive to a collector, but I owned one briefly and it wasn't very accurate. I traded it at Epps smile for a 6.5x55.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Me Steve, one of those stalking rifles in 303 would be pretty cool A? GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

IC B2

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
As I recall Globe was one of the better surplus firearms sporter conversions back then. I have a 303 sporter from them I bought years ago for my father. He passed on so I inherited the rifle back. It has a very nice checkered stock and is professionally worked over. No complaints on that end.

No serial number of course. I really like it except it doesn't shoot the most precise (3.5 to 4 inches with Win PP). My other hunting rifles have spoiled me, but I guess this is quite normal for an Enfield.

It's kind of a keepsake so I'll hang on to it.

G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, is yours a semi auto or a bolt action? No the semis were horrible for accuracy. Done up right the old enfield could shoot. I done one for my Dad, cut off all the unnessecary military horns, turned down the bbl, put a recoil lug at the rear of the action, made a new stock, checkered it but wasn't happy with my first attempt at checkering so removed it and left it smooth. Put a Williams peep at the rear of action & a new sourdough front site. It would hold a 2 to 2-1/2 in group @ 100. Off coarse I could see better back then. It only weighed 6-1/2 lbs & was nice to carry. Dad liked it & shot a few deer with it while he was still hunting. He hunted & trapped till he was 82 I think. Way better shape than I will be. Tough old guys back then. Used to love listening to him & his brothers telling hunting stories, should of had a tape recorder. Get Steves book on the 303 you'll find it pretty informative, even a section on the 303 imp & 303 Epps . GWPGUY πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by PSE
As I recall Globe was one of the better surplus firearms sporter conversions back then. I have a 303 sporter from them I bought years ago for my father. He passed on so I inherited the rifle back. It has a very nice checkered stock and is professionally worked over. No complaints on that end.

No serial number of course. I really like it except it doesn't shoot the most precise (3.5 to 4 inches with Win PP). My other hunting rifles have spoiled me, but I guess this is quite normal for an Enfield.

It's kind of a keepsake so I'll hang on to it.

Keepsakes are forever. The memories are always good!

The days of cheap surplus rifles are over. frown As are the days when the Cdn govt sold surplus to Canadians. I remember buying various surplus rifles - Lee Enfields, Mausers and others at Kmart and Woolco.

Globe was one of a number of companies that took advantage of all the surplus coming out of Europe and here at home. But almost all of those businesses have closed too.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 60 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.