Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
You don’t need a tractor.

Sell it to somebody that does.

Old iron like this will be invaluable in the decades to come.

Whether it’s a Jew/muzzy or a yellow chinaman that sets off the next big one, what was suburbia will be put under the plow by tractors just like this.

MAGA

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ascertain first that the engine is actually stuck and it's not a case of the pressure plate being frozen to the fly wheel. That happened to one my dad owned..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I'd be cautious about torquing on the balancer, I've seen that go bad.
Maybe it was my gorilla back, over powering the monkey brain.
But when she don't move, you pull harder.
Those bolts aren't as tough as you might think!

Dillonbuck;
Good afternoon, I hope that wherever this finds you it finds you well.

You are, in my somewhat checkered experience at any rate, not wrong in suggesting that bolts can be broken and sometimes much easier than we'd suspected.

Further, sometimes I suspect it's a bit of a mechanic's dark double entendre to name that tool a "breaker bar"..... wink grin

My thought and again it might be entirely incorrect, but my thought about going in from the front end of the crank is that if something is well and truly stuck internally and we spin with force and vigor on say the rear wheel, we're perhaps endangering axles, pinions, etc.

If they were working, there's no use wrecking them and making more work for ourselves.

Admittedly I have been in many instances the author of my own sad tale and made more work for myself by not entirely thinking through my actions.

To me, its been an interesting exchange and I appreciate most of the responses here, even the ones that just made me chuckle.

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by deflave
You don’t need a tractor.

Sell it to somebody that does.

Old iron like this will be invaluable in the decades to come.

Whether it’s a Jew/muzzy or a yellow chinaman that sets off the next big one, what was suburbia will be put under the plow by tractors just like this.

Sure, pard.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Ascertain first that the engine is actually stuck and it's not a case of the pressure plate being frozen to the fly wheel. That happened to one my dad owned..mb
very possible ...

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Put in in 4th gear and pull it with your truck.

We did that many times when I was young when our 8N wouldn’t crank. Can’t believe it hasn’t been tried yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 1966 Oliver 1850 diesel. I blew up the battery one day trying to start it. I didn't have an immediate need for the tractor so I let it set for 2 years in the barn until I needed it and put a new battery in it. It started on the first turn of the crank. I'm about to put it to sleep for the winter so I need to get it running again for about an hour to get everything loose until April.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Trying a rolling start will bend connecting rods, and/or trash some transmission gears. 2N- - -not 3!- - - -D'OH! N-series Fords don't have sleeves- - - -I've rebuilt enough of them to know. They run the same pistons and rings as a flathead V8, and the connecting rods are very similar- - - -pretty thin and spindly, and easy to bend. A 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid works better than most commercial penetrating oils- - - -3 or 4 ounces in all the cylinders, screw the spark plugs back in hand tight, and wait about a week- - - -then try the 2 X 4 on the rear wheel.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Jack up the tractor put the transmission in neutral and engage the PTO. Use a pipe wrench to turn the PTO shaft being careful not to damage the shaft splines. This should rotate the engine. Observe the direction of the engine as it should rotate clockwise if you are standing in front of the tractor. Others may offer a better solution. Also a mixture of acetone and transmission squirted down the spark plugs holes will help free it up

that's an idea, might have to do that next weekend

75% acetone, 25% Tranny fluid.

Not this kind of tranny fluid.

[Linked Image from australianliquorsuppliers.com.au]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dwayne,

I've broken a crank bolt, and screwed up a balancer(different tale),
wouldn't rule out the ability to bust an axle too.

Never have, but I once sheared off the input shaft for a power divider.
Took 318 Detroit ponies and 3 or 4 bunny hops, going up a mountain log road road. Steep enough that 2nd hear was required, empty.

Hop, hop, hop, BANG!
The big iron sound that's makes you sick in the guts,
thinking
"F'! That sounded expensive!".
🤢🤢🤑🤑🤑🤑

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 9point3
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
8N production began in 1948 (that's where the 8 comes from). The 9N started production in 1939, and the 3N (1943) was a simplified wartime production version of the same tractor. 8N has a 4 speed transmission- - - -9N and 3N are 3 speed. .

Are you sure you don't mean 2N?
Yeah, I did not go there.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Trying a rolling start will bend connecting rods, and/or trash some transmission gears. 2N- - -not 3!- - - -D'OH! N-series Fords don't have sleeves- - - -I've rebuilt enough of them to know. They run the same pistons and rings as a flathead V8, and the connecting rods are very similar- - - -pretty thin and spindly, and easy to bend. A 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid works better than most commercial penetrating oils- - - -3 or 4 ounces in all the cylinders, screw the spark plugs back in hand tight, and wait about a week- - - -then try the 2 X 4 on the rear wheel.
You are very, very wrong here. They most definitely are a sleeved engine. Sleeves come in standard and in thin wall.
[Linked Image from yesterdaystractors.com]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by ldholton
I doubt it's the motor actually locked up. I would be looking at the starter / solenoid system.

I didn't think it would be - I haven't taken the starter off yet but I was going straight to the starter bypassing the solenoid. It would make a noise like it was trying to engage. Then I started reading about these guys who had them lock up after sitting awhile - admittedly not for 10 months, usually in terms of years.

I don't have time to mess with it now, I just went out to bump to check the battery and then that led me down the rabbit hole. I'll let M.M.O do its job for a few days.

I'll put the starter next weekend. I checked online and damn, those thing are $117 a pop for the cheap chinese crap

There's still an outfit over in Wichita Falls (TX) that rebuilds starters, generators and other stuff like that.
A lot of the oilfield folks carry breakdowns to them to be rebuilt. They've been doing it for years and better than factory!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
You are very, very wrong here. They most definitely are a sleeved engine. Sleeves come in standard and in thin wall.
[Linked Image from yesterdaystractors.com]

Literally every 9/8/2n rebuild kit I've ever seen comes with cylinder sleeves.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 6V '48 was dragging down and "killing" the battery pretty quick this summer. Got tired of hooking up the charger all the time so I broke down and pulled the starter. Cleaned all the connections really well from the battery posts to the starter and pulled the starter apart. Likely the original starter, and had a fairly good coating of "greasy" dirt throughout the armature and windings. Cleaned it all out with brake cleaner and rags. Figured try that before ordering a new starter. Spins now better/faster than I've ever seen it since dad bought the thing back in the early 70s. It's got all kinds of issues that need fixing, but turning over isn't one of them now. Check your starter and connections.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
will do, thanks - I plan on pulling it next weekend

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Couple of questions does it click once when you try to start it? Or is it locked in gear ?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (10Glocks, 35, arky65, afisher, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,521 guests, and 790 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,600
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.