Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Oh, that would be you, bitch.

Jimmy has been drinking cheap whiskey all day again in his single wide.

Oh you poor little stalker.

Got an elk pic for us?
I’d settle for a clam shot.
Ask, and you shall receive…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice!

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Stunt shootin'....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Japlvr
300 yards for me, situation right and stay off the big bones. Been done. Lungs are lungs. Animals don’t go far with those punched thru.
Not my first choice in caliber however.

Osky

Thank You for that info. Most guys that I know from PA that go out west for elk, always take a magnum of 7mm or larger.
If traveling a good distance, spending good $$ and on limited time it is probably best to take more power than needed.
The cost for me to go elk hunting: gas to drive 60 miles each way, and the price of an in state elk tag.

I would take nothing less powerful than a 30-06/7 mag for elk. Our typical shot is 300 to 400 yds, and power is significantly diminished at that range. Couple that with the fact that you often do not get that perfect butcher's shot at the lungs.

My 7 STW w/ 162 gr Hornady leaves the muzzle at 3200 fps. According to the book, it was down to 2470 fps when it hit each of my last two bulls.

Sometimes you have to start just under the root of the tail to reach the vitals, or sometimes all you can see of the bull is the front point of a shoulder.

Carrying a 7-08, 6.5 Creed, 243, or a 22-250, I would pass on those questionable shots, and go home with a blank tag.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Oh, that would be you, bitch.

Jimmy has been drinking cheap whiskey all day again in his single wide.

Oh you poor little stalker.

Got an elk pic for us?
I’d settle for a clam shot.
Ask, and you shall receive…

Nice!
Kind of pale. Looks like it's been dead a while. I like it pink.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nice, and you he uses a sling.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Way to go.

Nice rifle and load.

Eat well.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
300 yards for me, situation right and stay off the big bones. Been done. Lungs are lungs. Animals don’t go far with those punched thru.

Osky

Thank You for that info. Most guys that I know from PA that go out west for elk, always take a magnum of 7mm or larger.
If traveling a good distance, spending good $$ and on limited time it is probably best to take more power than needed.
The cost for me to go elk hunting: gas to drive 60 miles each way, and the price of an in state elk tag.

I would take nothing less powerful than a 30-06/7 mag for elk. Our typical shot is 300 to 400 yds, and power is significantly diminished at that range. Couple that with the fact that you often do not get that perfect butcher's shot at the lungs.

My 7 STW w/ 162 gr Hornady leaves the muzzle at 3200 fps. According to the book, it was down to 2470 fps when it hit each of my last two bulls.

Sometimes you have to start just under the root of the tail to reach the vitals, or sometimes all you can see of the bull is the front point of a shoulder.

Carrying a 7-08, 6.5 Creed, 243, or a 22-250, I would pass on those questionable shots, and go home with a blank tag.

I guess I agree. I’m surprised no one recommended a 223 with fast twist and a 75 grain bullet at 2700 fps. Elk are easy to kill, or so I learned on the campfire, but as long as they are on their feet, I keep feeding them 180 grains of failure until they walk no more…

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, nice Bull and country!

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Osky

I guess I agree. I’m surprised no one recommended a 223 with fast twist and a 75 grain bullet at 2700 fps. Elk are easy to kill, or so I learned on the campfire, but as long as they are on their feet, I keep feeding them 180 grains of failure until they walk no more…

Based on the size of that bull, a .223 would have been more than adequate.

Congratulations!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Osky

Congratulations!
You don't know the difference between a bull and bull$hit. You have an abundance of the latter.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Congratulations!

Prepping for the 37 pic drop of Master Hunter Buzzy's monster bulls[while hunting on our dime].

Congrats Shrap

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey now, nice bull. You have yourself some great table fare.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BangPop

Osky

Congratulations!
You don't know the difference between a bull and bull$hit. You have an abundance of the latter.

I know enough to help one of my best friends a few days ago stalk this bull to 5, yes 5 yards and kill it with a .270 and nosler partitions. I bet a .22 would have done the job.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Raeford

Congratulations!

Prepping for the 37 pic drop of Master Hunter Buzzy's monster bulls[while hunting on our dime].

Congrats Shrap

I could post 83 pics of the ones I've killed, probably more than that I've helped friends and family with.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Buzzie pissed because Shrap doesn't have to suck dicks to get hunting access or have access shut down.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations, Shrap. Love your choice of caliber, too.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
I shot this elk with a 300 Weatherby and 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I was really fortunate to actually kill something with so little going for it, but I do like a challenge…

Did it "pencil on through...?"

There's no denying the BC sucks for that bullet.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Buzzie pissed because Shrap doesn't have to suck dicks to get hunting access or have access shut down.

I had written permission from Tracy Stone Manning for me and my buddy. Along with 340 million of my best friends.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Last thing I killed was with some 180 accubond 3rds that I have a pile of. (black with red tip) Guessing that 180 ballistic tip is similar.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

In my case, 162 gr, but yes. Just as fast as I can reload the #1.

When I was about eight years old, I was sitting on a little barren knob with younger sister and brother, waiting on Mom and Dad to make a circle and come back to us. I heard a shot in the distance, then a few minutes later Dad came past and picked me up to follow him on his horse as he tracked a lung shot cow.
30-06, 180 gr Win silvertips, Rem 760.

There were puddles of pink foam in the trail every few yards, occasionally a big puddle where she had hesitated for a few moments. But after a few hundred yards, those puddles became drops. Then the drops got further apart, until they stopped entirely. Apparently a high lung shot.

The area was very dry and elk tracks were all over the hillsides. It was impossible to discern where this cow had gone among all those tracks. We searched for a long time to no avail.

That is the day I learned, the recipe for elk is keep adding lead until four feet point to the sky.

A "dead" elk can go a damned long way in a hurry. Especially when he is headed downhill into a schithole which will make extraction much more difficult. Or in some cases, across a fence onto private land.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (1_deuce, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 27 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,624
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.