Print Thread
Hop To
J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
My 6-month old Basset-Lab mix wants to put everything in his mouth.
I have gotten used to watching him constantly, always scanning the area around him for something he shouldn't have. Always.

Sunday afternoon, my wife was putting up some Halloween decorations in the living room. I stepped outside for five minutes to plug in a new timer.

Came in and there was Henry, chewing a small nightlight sized lightbulb! I had no way of knowing if he had ingested any.

Panic set in. No local vets open on Sunday, so I found a vet website that said to feed him a Vaseline sandwich on whole wheat bread, to help any fragments ease on through. Follow that up with a combination of canned pumpkin, rice and boiled chicken, 5×per day.

Got him to the vet's office first thing Monday morning.
X-ray showed 3 tiny bits of glass in his intestines. She recommended a high fiber kibble along with the pumpkin mixture.

Took him back for a follow-up x-ray this morning. All clear! What a relief. I lost a lot of sleep worrying about my pup this week.

Total cost for that lightbulb? Just over $500.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sounds like fun, friend of mine got on the save a puppy thing and those rescues cost him a ton of money. He spent 3k on one dog in about 3 months, joker ate everything, after the 3rd surgery to remove something he took the dog back to pound.

J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
So, what you're saying is that pedigreed pups don't chew on things they shouldn't when they're teething?

Must be nice to have a perfect pup.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I been there too. Kids left the garage door open and he chewed up a pack of fish hooks. I got the kid from school and had her clean everything up while I took the dog to the vet. Dog had no hooks in him and then when I got home, that kid had dug through the grass and found all 50 fish hooks. I felt kinda bad about that so we all learned a lesson. I'm glad your dog is ok.

J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thank you, my friend. He keeps me on my toes!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not as expensive, but last night my GSP ate a Akaushi steak off the counter when I wasn't looking!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
When my Springer was a puppy, he ate a whole light bulb. No vets open at the time . A good friend told us to feed him as much bread as he'll eat. Passed it all with no bleeding. Then came back a few weeks later and ate the wife's razor blades. He's four now.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by JeffyD
My 6-month old Basset-Lab mix wants to put everything in his mouth.
I have gotten used to watching him constantly, always scanning the area around him for something he shouldn't have. Always.

Sunday afternoon, my wife was putting up some Halloween decorations in the living room. I stepped outside for five minutes to plug in a new timer.

Came in and there was Henry, chewing a small nightlight sized lightbulb! I had no way of knowing if he had ingested any.

Panic set in. No local vets open on Sunday, so I found a vet website that said to feed him a Vaseline sandwich on whole wheat bread, to help any fragments ease on through. Follow that up with a combination of canned pumpkin, rice and boiled chicken, 5×per day.

Got him to the vet's office first thing Monday morning.
X-ray showed 3 tiny bits of glass in his intestines. She recommended a high fiber kibble along with the pumpkin mixture.

Took him back for a follow-up x-ray this morning. All clear! What a relief. I lost a lot of sleep worrying about my pup this week.

Total cost for that lightbulb? Just over $500.

Ha ! You should see the bill for a Dachshund's effed up back surgery! No, I am not going to publish it, it's so ridiculous.

Last edited by las; 10/27/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (22250rem, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1minute, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,338
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.