Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lemme see...where are we?!? Hint.

Always nice to see,that the first/last person,didn't dead head fastener(s) into the barrel shank. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Read about these on the Interweb and figured I'd whirl 'em. Hint.

A Skookum/Square Landing Strip,ain't "surprising". Hint.

Fingered I'd try one of them there Reupold's,you guys are always talking about. SFP and Duplex! Hint.

One pass with '06 brass and 175 NPT's! Hint.

To be fhuqking continued. Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice. I put on suppressor on my daughters. (6.5cm Mesa fft). 100gr TTSX and it about has no recoil.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
162's at 2.875" is a nice place to be. Hint.

Boresighted on fresh 50yd paper,then fired the first round from the hip elsewhere. All looked well,after same,so gunned (1) at said paper. Hint.

No thang to correct and jump to the 100yd line. Cranked a HASTY Trio,followed by another HASTY Trio. Wind was howling and I didn't hold for it. So shots #3,4 and 5,then 6,7 and 8,in the PRISTINE bore,while pounding moly down. I KNOW things will shrink a bunch,in just a few more pokes,but I greedily wanted DOPE. Zero'd turrets and headed to do just that,.5 Mil high,for 200yd zero. Hint.

Shots #9 and 10 were at 900yds and prospective AE DOPE was money. Went to 1100yds next and erector says 2680fps and I had poked 2875fps in AE. I'm golden. Hint.

Positive headspaced false shouldered Virgins played nicely,like ALWAYS. Just shy of .001" headspace increase,after firing. Hint.

I've FAITH in RCBS Grey Box Seater Bitches,as runout is typically dick nothing. Super' meters easily and the 162 BTHP leaps less than a 162 'Max or ELD M. (1) powder,(1) charge weight,(1) bullet and (1) seating depth. Am thinking after I have the first 50 through it,that I'll dabble loading the fore end a CH. As it sets in issued guise,NOTHING can fhuqking get away. Stock shoots rather soft,given the modest mass of the parcel. Only saw (3) Bucks on the jaunt. Hint.(grin)

GrandBaby Weekend,hoping he can call a few in,with the newest Jupe Call. They make good tone,pitch and volume,though I HATE Calling in this much wind. It's early,but ball is rolling and I'll have the Mesa in tow. Hint.

To be fhuqking continued. Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Get a 308 Tikka. 1 in 11 twist. Shoot 130 grain TTSX bullets in it, seated to standard length.

Put a Leupold scope on it.

Probably will shoot better than every rifle aforementioned, and just the thought will cause veins to pop out on someone's head with feverous typing and cut and paste. LOL.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My Schultz and Larsen 308 win was built by the renowned Grant Dick in Ohio who was known for old school accuracy. 1:14 twist in a 26" bull barrel. This 308 win thinks it's a 30-06. I've had a normal albeit maximum load 155 palma match load consistently clock 3100 fps, and it shoots tiny groups. This slower twist shoots the lighter 155 to 168 weights amazingly well. I occasionally run the bullet length vs velocity equation to see if proper stabilization will be achieved. Usually not a problem if you keep the speed up on a slower twist. All else being equal a slower twist barrel will allow higher MV than a faster twist barrel with the same load.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Oh boy. Johnny one note is about to go full moon PMS batschitt. If the last 3 shots of rotgut wear off enough to focus on the screen and dig up cut and paste material.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
7-08. Have read about them,but never shot one. Hint.

Apparently a 30-'06 necked up to .284". Hint................

Thanks - reason I asked, is it looks kinda familiar...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

30-06 with shoulder pushed back (wishing it was a 7-08) grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I never asked the back story,I just swooped it up. Hint.

My Crummy Catching Nature,has me up "too early" like usual,but GrandBaby will be here in a coupla hours and the Mesa made the cut to the front seat. SELDOM do that happen,so quickly and easily. The parcel is rather Skookum. Hint.

I bought it from some guy in Alaska,of all places. Hint.............

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seems fitting this is in the longrange hunting forums. Except the OP is complaining about 100 yard groups.

My buddy had some issues with his CA past 200 yards today. We dialed in at 100, and checked 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards. At each increment, it was further and further off to the right. Wind was 2-3 mph today, so almost damn near non existent. Light enough that I rang the 10" steel plate at 1,000 with the CTR and put those shots into 3". His Christensen on the other hand ended up being 18"+ off at 600 yards. He was slightly pizzed at his high dollar rifle. His brand new RAR Ranch 6.5 Grendel shot better!!!!

So, this CA is going to be diagnosed to see what is wrong with it. A shame too because it cloverleafs groups at 100, which is for damn sure not "longrange"...

You guys saying your CA rifles shoot good. How do they do past 600 yards? Since this is the longrange forums.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
My buddy had some issues with his CA past 200 yards today. We dialed in at 100, and checked 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards. At each increment, it was further and further off to the right. Wind was 2-3 mph today, so almost damn near non existent. Light enough that I rang the 10" steel plate at 1,000 with the CTR and put those shots into 3". His Christensen on the other hand ended up being 18"+ off at 600 yards. He was slightly pizzed at his high dollar rifle. His brand new RAR Ranch 6.5 Grendel shot better!!!!

That seems like an aiming problem. What going on with the scope?

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That seems like an aiming problem. What going on with the scope?

It's a Vortex my friend. I hate to assume right off the bat, but you may be right, even though it is a more expensive Razor HD..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A tall target test on a windless day could reveal much.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
THIS!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I agree..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I'm wondering why there are no threads on the tall target test? It's a pretty simple check, and necessary to see if your scope is actually tracking, or if it is doing something wonky. Would be a good/great thread idea. I'll be checking my buddies rifle/scope tomorrow. I'm thinking it's an aiming error, AKA: scope problem. Just like you said earlier. May not even be the rifle. I may start a thread on it.

Shot a tall target test today with a few rifles, but won't be checking my buddies Christensen Ridgeline until tomorrow morning. That rifle shoots great at 100 yards. One of the first CA's, I've seen, to do that. Wondering if the OP has found out anything with his rifle yet? Maybe borescope it and see if there is anything that stands out.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by xphunter
THIS!

You guys were definitely on to something. It turned out being a scope issue. The damn windage was wonky on his $1,500.00 Vortex Razor HD LHT. Formid did a test on rockslide about these scopes and they failed miserably. I know this is another man's thread regarding his CA with accuracy issues, but wanted to report that my buddies rifle shoots well enough and it was/is a scope issue. You be the judge:

So for this rifle, it's CA 1, Vortex 0!!! Didn't do a really tall, tall target test because my buddies maxed out at 27.9 moa or some such thing. Made the test go to 25 moa. Told me enough that the scope tracks good enough with the elevation dial, but the windage is not good at all. Read notes on the target above.

Still wondering what the outcome of the OP's rifle was???? it would be nice if we got a follow up on that. I'm hoping he sent it back and he gets one that shoots as well as my buddies rifle does. It doesn't keep up with the measly $500 Tikka that I shot on the same target, but it does well enough.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tall target tests are EXTREMELY revealing.

A consideration is, or at least can be, that the shooter is by necessity changing the position of the rifle on the rest(s) as they dial the scope, since they are aiming at the bottom X of the target yet the POI is climbing. It can be fairly extreme- think what a different angle it takes to hit, say, 3 feet high at 100 yards than to hit dead nuts. Just something to be aware of and to plan for when setting up your rest(s) for the test. Don’t start out with a rear rest that’s on the low side, certainly, and the rest(s) need to be able to be adjusted or even swapped out without invalidating the test.

But yes, tall target tests have been very illustrative and frankly, have cost me a bunch of money! Couple examples… my Swaro AV doesn’t track plumb with the reticle. It drifts off to one side or the other; I forget which. It now lives on my .358 M7 where dialing isn’t a thing. My old Zeiss 6.5-20 Conquest had a hiccup about 12 MOA up from zero if memory serves… elevation tracking was ok, but the group would suddenly print over 1 MOA to the left. Then it’d come back to the centerline. Not confidence inspiring behaviors!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Tall target tests are EXTREMELY revealing.

A consideration is, or at least can be, that the shooter is by necessity changing the position of the rifle on the rest(s) as they dial the scope, since they are aiming at the bottom X of the target yet the POI is climbing. It can be fairly extreme- think what a different angle it takes to hit, say, 3 feet high at 100 yards than to hit dead nuts. Just something to be aware of and to plan for when setting up your rest(s) for the test. Don’t start out with a rear rest that’s on the low side, certainly, and the rest(s) need to be able to be adjusted or even swapped out without invalidating the test.

But yes, tall target tests have been very illustrative and frankly, have cost me a bunch of money! Couple examples… my Swaro AV doesn’t track plumb with the reticle. It drifts off to one side or the other; I forget which. It now lives on my .358 M7 where dialing isn’t a thing. My old Zeiss 6.5-20 Conquest had a hiccup about 12 MOA up from zero if memory serves… elevation tracking was ok, but the group would suddenly print over 1 MOA to the left. Then it’d come back to the centerline. Not confidence inspiring behaviors!

Good points Jeff. Now, I'm surprised you did not mention the Zeiss V4. I am damned amazed at how well those things actually track. I sold my buddy, with the CA, my V4 4-16x44 with the ZMOA reticle. That damn scope tracks great. I just don't like the glass as much as I do my Nightforce scopes. I'll talk to my buddy, but I'm thinking I am going to suggest he put that scope on his Christensen. My feelings on the Vortex is that it was moving horizontally under recoil when we were shooting it at longrange a couple weeks ago. You can see on the target that it jumped after a couple shots, even without adjustment before that shot, but adjustment 2 times before. He has really liked Vortex in the past because he's had to use their CS and they always treat him right, plus he gets great LEO and military discounts, but he's at a point now where he doesn't want to have anything to do with them.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey bud!

My experience with the V4’s has been that they track really, really well. However, that’s “just” from shooting at long range; I’ve never done a tall target test with any of them.

This thread got me to thinking I should, just to quantify it… it’s a pain, though. Even just properly setting up for one takes a while… as you know. Then if you are serious about it, you gotta let the barrel cool to roughly the same temp between shots… and it’s a lot of shots.

My current theory is if it hits where it’s supposed to at longer ranges then it MUST be workin’! 😎 But I’d be the first to concede, that’s lazy.

I’m debating rebarreling my Kimber to 6.5 SAUM (from 7 WSM, throat is pretty eroded @ around 1500 rounds). If I commit to that, it sets off a scope shuffle and at that point it’d be fairly easy to toss a couple on my 223AI and shoot some TTT’s.

My dirty little secret is, I bought a dirt bike and it’s been eating up my extra time and money since early this summer. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff O,
Off topic, but I have around 100 pieces of new 6.5 SAUM brass if you decide to go that way.
I am not going to be building a 6.5 SAUM. My next project is 7MM PRC center-grip XP-100

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,495 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,214
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.