Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am a varmint rifle guy, definitely old school
Today a buddy stopped over with a S&W AR-15. His words were he has only mild interest in the AR-15 but since libtards do not want him to have one he bought it. He also brought a one piece scope mount and a Vortex Diamondback 4-12X scope
I put the scope mount and scope onto the rifle and we went to the side window of my shop which has a high bench for shooting at my 50 yard backstop first shot 4 inches low and 2” left. A few adjustments and the next bullet moved 2”low and a bit to the left. More adjustment and I put the next 3 shots under a nickel onto the small dot I was shooting at
I handed the rifle to the owner and he put 5 shots into a golf ball size group 2” low.
The owner lacks confidence in his shooting. He handed the rifle back to me and it shot 2” low for me 5 shots that could be covered with a quarter
I adjusted but the next shots were the same as the previous. I gave it 4 clicks up with no difference
I have heard that air rifles and AR-15 s can be hard on scopes
I have also heard good things about Vortex but also know this scope was less than $250
What do you think?
That was all the time we had to play. Now I am thinking about the next steps
The ammo was not high dollar ammo but decent. Winchester green tip 62gr

I am one gun away from happy
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The high end Vortex scopes have a pretty good reputation.
The only Vortex I have owned was a mid level 4-16 with a canted crosshair that I returned and bought a Nikon.
I’ve never heard that AR15s are hard on scopes. I have several with different scopes on each and have had no problems.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
Today a buddy stopped over with a S&W AR-15. His words were he has only mild interest in the AR-15 but since libtards do not want him to have one he bought it. He also brought a one piece scope mount and a Vortex Diamondback 4-12X scope
I put the scope mount and scope onto the rifle and we went to the side window of my shop which has a high bench for shooting at my 50 yard backstop first shot 4 inches low and 2” left. A few adjustments and the next bullet moved 2”low and a bit to the left. More adjustment and I put the next 3 shots under a nickel onto the small dot I was shooting at
I handed the rifle to the owner and he put 5 shots into a golf ball size group 2” low.
The owner lacks confidence in his shooting. He handed the rifle back to me and it shot 2” low for me 5 shots that could be covered with a quarter
I adjusted but the next shots were the same as the previous. I gave it 4 clicks up with no difference
I have also heard good things about Vortex but also know this scope was less than $250
What do you think?

Welcome to the world of cheap Vortex rifle scopes. Also, whoever told you AR's are "hard on scopes", are delusional.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
What do you think?

That scope has 1/4" clicks at 100 yards.

4 clicks at 50 yards only moves the POI a half inch, well within the margin of error for a "golf ball" sized group.

Diamond backs are not exactly the best Vortex scope. When you hear good things about Vortex scopes it's generally their Razor line.

Winchester M855 gives typical groups for ball ammo, about 2+ MOA at 100 yards, so again, a 1 MOA adjustment on 2 MOA ammo, you might not see it move on paper.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 10/28/23.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Just the fact that 2 times I moved the dial 3 or 4 clicks and no change in impact when the first two adjustments were more positive

IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Consistent cheek weld.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot enough and you will find pretty much any scope will eventually fail. Low end or premium, they all fail sooner or later.

Of course the low end have a much higher fail rate.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
ARs hard on scopes?
First I’ve heard that and I’ve owned and shot them, scoped for 20+ years with zero scope problems.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Just the fact that 2 times I moved the dial 3 or 4 clicks and no change in impact when the first two adjustments were more positive

3 clicks at 50 yards is 3/8 of an inch.

If you move the scope 1 click at 150 yards with subpar ammo, do you really expect to see much of difference in POI?

Are you using a proper rest, off a proper bench, or just throw you coat over the hood of the pickup?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 10/28/23.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
First I would get a scope that is known to track properly.

If you have any doubts, run a box drill.

Then ditch the green tip ammo and get something that is going to actually shoot well.

ARs are not hard on scopes at all.

Bearing in mind that adjustments were made between these targets, this should give you a clue.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These are 1" squares.

The groups were shot at 100 yds using an AR with a 7 twist match barrel.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditch the green tip.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
AR’s hard on scopes comes from the thinking that a scope is designed with recoil going one direction. As with some air guns the AR has some recoil going forward when the BCG slams home. Some scopes with light wire reticles tended to break on both air guns and AR’s along with a few other problems.

I’ve never had a scope break a reticle but that was the warning I was given when wanting to scope an AR.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
TWR
Thanks. I think that is where I got the idea
I do have a SX-AR that I have put less than 200 trouble free rounds thru but that is not even a good start

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
ARs hard on scopes?
First I’ve heard that and I’ve owned and shot them, scoped for 20+ years with zero scope problems.
He was probably thinking of AR-10s. But there are rifles harder on scopes than those too.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've found that .30-378 Weatherbys, .416 Rigbys, .450 Rigbys, .458 Lotts, and .44 Mags are pretty tough on even the best scopes.

Not sure AR anything comes even close to these.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
there are two types of Vortex scopes. good ones and bad ones. try another known scope as a control.
had the same scope on a Marlin 22 mag that would track half the time. bullseye for 2 shots then it would walk 4 inches high and right. 5th shot was off the paper.
took it back and got the thing replaced. new scope held true. not an isolated incidence.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m not a Vortex fan, but I currently own two. If buying new, I d stick with the Viper line on up. I do have a Crossfire that came on my Howa Mini, and it works. I had a Diamondback that was the biggest POS scope over had. Was bad from the get go.
As far as AR’s being hard on scopes, I have not seen it. I’ll be honest, I bought a cheap ass Monstrum Tactical 1-6x24, and I wish it would die. It’s the equivalent of looking through a role of toilet paper. For some reason though, it hasn’t puked on my .223 Wylde yet. Would I buy another Monstrum scope, hell no. You could probably entice me with a cheap Vortex first, at least it has a warranty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I realize that you are only talking about a relatively few shots but could the barrel heat be affecting the shot placement and it's not a scope issue ?? Was the barrel free floated or did it have a traditional front hand guard ?

I was having some issues with 2 rifles today. Both with light barrels. Shot #1 was to the point of aim but shots #2 and 3 were an inch apart at 50 yards. The temp was about 38 degrees so each first shot was in a cold barrel.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been told that military spec ammo is only guaranteed 4MOA. I don't know that for a fact, so maybe some others can chime in.

I will mention an experience: My POF Renegade .223 using American Eagle M855 will group a very disappointing 4" (1:7 twist). When I swapped to Hornady 55gr SP, I was 1/2". It's a recent gun to me, so I haven't put anything else through it yet.

I'm getting ready to start working up a Barnes 70 gr TSX load as my all-around load.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The trigger on this rifle is heavy and gritty, I am not complaining about group size, The POI shifted and did not respond to adjustments
I wish he had left the rifle with me to put a different scope on it. Like I said my experience with AR style rifles is very very limited and somewhere along the line I got the idea that they were harder on scopes than a normal bolt action rifle of the same caliber

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
scopes are a steel on steel friction adjustment, they are manufactured and on a shelf for who knows how long, then someone buys it, puts it on a rifle and expects them to move precisely as they are supposed to.
did you turn the adjustments stop to stop a couple times before centering? Thats what I do and seldom have one fail to move, may take a while to get it tracking precisely. Thats why target turrets track better the more ya spin them.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Give the butt of the rifle a couple of bumps every time you make an adjustment. It's a way of making sure you get the adjustment . Takes a second.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
Give the butt of the rifle a couple of bumps every time you make an adjustment. It's a way of making sure you get the adjustment . Takes a second.

I usually give the scope a few bumps with my palm after making adjustments

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The problem is the POS scope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The trigger on this rifle is heavy and gritty, I am not complaining about group size, The POI shifted and did not respond to adjustments
I wish he had left the rifle with me to put a different scope on it. Like I said my experience with AR style rifles is very very limited and somewhere along the line I got the idea that they were harder on scopes than a normal bolt action rifle of the same caliber
It could have moved bit if shooting 3 or 4 inch groups it's hard to what is really going on.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/green-tip-accuracy-test/

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,878
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.