Print Thread
Hop To
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm looking to purchase a complete 5.56 lightweight upper. It will mostly be used as a walking around, relatively short range (less than 200 yds) coyote rifle. I want a 16" barrel with a mid length gas system and a twist rate of 1-7 or 8. The lower will be a RRA LAR 15. It will be scoped with a 2-7 scope or something similar, again lightweight. Budget is less than a $1000. Any suggestions would appreciated.

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Have a look at Rock River’s Mountain Rifle upper.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smike308

The above is what you ask for,
for 1/2 of a RRA upper

PSA pencil if you don't mind slumming. Gonna be a complete POS that can't shoot well enough for 200 yard coyotes.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...ightweight-m-lok-upper-w-bcg-and-ch.html

If this didn't satisfy you, you could swap barrels and still not be hurt too bad.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I’ll probably get flamed for this, but I bought one of those Bushmaster pencil barrel uppers that CDNN advertises for $179. Put it on a Rock River lower and added a basic BCG and a Leupold 2.75 scope in an Aero mount. It’s light and handy, seems reliable, and shoots well enough for walking around purposes.

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

for 1/2 of a RRA upper

PSA pencil if you don't mind slumming. Gonna be a complete POS that can't shoot well enough for 200 yard coyotes.

If this didn't satisfy you, you could swap barrels and still not be hurt too bad.
Why would a pencil barrel be inaccurate? Do you know? Could you know?
You're just regurgitating some horse crap you read from some other "expert".

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have pencil barrels from Colt and Sionics and I have had one from Bushmaster. They all have made great coyote guns.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by dla

for 1/2 of a RRA upper

Had a couple pencil barrels.. I’d consider any barrel that’s 16” 23oz or less to be pencil profile

The bcm shoots okay.. plenty of 1” 5 shot groups.. but in all honesty it’s 2moa 10 shot.

The faxon was borderline atrocious. It’s a rainy rainy rainy day barrel.

Bushmaster 1-9 pencil upper was pretty bad as well.

Colt 1-12” A1 20” shoots medium. It’s not free gloated so not a fair comparison and it only sees 55gr fmj

That said all kinda suck when ur under stress. Even with an SSa-e I’m shooting measurably worse then say a 28oz contoured correctly stick such as a criterion core or geissele.My .02.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I want 18",Rifle Gas,1-7" and NO bullschit. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dla

for 1/2 of a RRA upper

Climb down from your perch All Knowing Holy One!
Read the fugging text and try comprehension.

I recommended the damn thing, and commented that a gun would have to be a POS to not meet the OPs needs.
Meaning that these would likely be more than adequate? That, despite being low end, they would perform well for the intended task without costing much?

Whew. About the 5th version.
This trying to be nice thing is tough!

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"PSA pencil if you don't mind slumming. Gonna be a complete POS that can't shoot well enough for 200 yard coyotes."

Words mean things and I took it as you said it was gonna be a complete POS that can't shoot well enough for 200 yard coyotes too.

IC B3

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla

for 1/2 of a RRA upper

I recommended the damn thing, and commented that a gun would have to be a POS to not meet the OPs needs.
Meaning that these would likely be more than adequate? That, despite being low end, they would perform well for the intended task without costing much?

Spend a few seconds proof reading before you press "post reply"

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I was going to mention the PSA pencil-dick uppers, but it looks like they are already well covered.......grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought another 16" DelTon 1/9 twist light weight barrel 3 weeks ago. I got the chromed version this time. I had 2 of the non chromed barrels and they got accurate very quickly. This chrome one is not where I want it yet but it's completely adequate and improving every day. I sold one of my non chromed uppers a couple of months ago and I kept a 16" light weight carbine. I sold a 16" mid length with the A2 front tower and bought a 16" mid length without the front tower. I used pieces and parts that I had in boxes and drawers to complete the rifle. It's a real franken gun.

I know that DelTon has had some issues (claimed issues) in the past but I have yet to get a bad one. If 50 to 62 grain bullets are what you are looking to shoot and you want a light weight upper, stop by the DelTon web site and see what they have. If you sign up for notifications they have some really good special prices on their uppers. The only downside is DelTon does not offer an 18" barrel.
kwg
The barrel I bought.
https://www.del-ton.com/AR-15-16-Mid-Length-LW-Barrel-p/bl1088f-bo.htm

https://www.del-ton.com/

Last edited by kwg020; 10/23/23.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
"PSA pencil if you don't mind slumming. Gonna be a complete POS that can't shoot well enough for 200 yard coyotes."

Words mean things and I took it as you said it was gonna be a complete POS that can't shoot well enough for 200 yard coyotes too.
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

for 1/2 of a RRA upper

Spend a few seconds proof reading before you press "post reply"

Red all over my stupid face!

Gotta find a better crow recipe.

My sincere apologies dla.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Let he who has not done the same cast the first stone…

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Apologies accepted. Issue forgotten. smile

I like lightweight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You will be able get to the to the lightest by building yourself as you can mix & match lightweight components, like an upper receiver w/o a forward assist which you likely will not find in a complete upper or a very light weight, shorter handguard.

And you can use an AGB which will, in turn, allow use of a reduced weight BCG & buffer; again, that's hard to find on a built upper.

Or go to BCM's or (for mo' money), V-Seven's website & build your own with the selected barrel & handguard of your choice.

BCM won't be the lightest possible, but you can get reasonably light, & good quality for a reasonable price.

MM

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
You will be able get to the to the lightest by building yourself as you can mix & match lightweight components, like an upper receiver w/o a forward assist which you likely will not find in a complete upper or a very light weight, shorter handguard.

And you can use an AGB which will, in turn, allow use of a reduced weight BCG & buffer; again, that's hard to find on a built upper.

This.

It's actually pretty easy to get down into six pound territory if you just build one. All it takes is money 😄

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just got another aero m4e1 with a 16" mid length pencil barrel and an s-one handguard. I haven't had it out yet but my old 16" pencil bhw has shot many 1/2 moa groups with Hornady 75g bthps so some pencil barrels can shoot. My main shooter rifles are 18" rifle with a bit heavier barrels but my trunk guns are 16" pencil mid gassers. I won't got rifle on a 16" because i want reliability with those ones. Rifle gas makes a good soft shooting 18 or 20.

The ballistic advantage Hansen profile is a nice lighter weight profile and comes with a pinned gas block. Quality can be hit or miss but they seem willing to make it right. I'm running an 18" Hanson on my aero m5 Creedmoor.

Bb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,254
Posts18,486,311
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.