Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
And another. Notice where cannelure is and where the jacket and core are semi locked together.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Funny Hornady specifically says on thier website video that the cannelure is ONLY for crimping not locking the core to the jacket. Guess you forgot about the interlock and a harder alloy, not the cannelure, which supports the core farther down.

Last edited by anothergun; 10/30/23.
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They can say what they want.

The fact is once they knurl the jacket it still pushes some of the jacket into the core. Doesn't mean that it's to lock them together, the interlock ring is supposed to do that.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
and a harder core base AND … INTERLOCK BAND has nothing to do with it. So how did does thier line WITHOUT a cannelure LOCK ? but Good to know you’re convinced it helps.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bonding.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Before that.. better yet any bullet without a cannelure. Speer Sierra etc. What locks Noslers or Remington CL ? You can’t and won’t convince me that it’s a major contributor to locking the bullet. The reason l say that is because you aren’t commenting on the other ways it locks. BTW that mushroom looks like it’s BELOW the cannelure. And to honest, and l hope you believe me, l recovered bullets with cannelures and seen the jack split past it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sierra controls expansion with core hardness and jacket thickness, nothing to lock the 2 together.

Same with boat tail Speers. Flatbase Speers are Hotcore bullets.

Ballistic Tips use jacket thickness.

Hornady without a crimp groove has no way of locking, just jacket thickness and core hardness to help control expansion. Hornady with a cannelure in .24 caliber and up has the Interlock ring.

Must be something to the cannelure helping some as most guys using the .224 55 grain bullet for big game always use the 55 that has a groove, not the smooth sided bullet.

Other than that none of the make a claim of anything that "locks" the 2 together.

Corelokt bullets use an hourglass shaped jacket.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I believe you, its a bullet and they do funny things sometimes.

I have also seen interlock bullets slip the interlock ring as well.

Sure, that mushroom is below the cannelure, just because the cannelure is there it doesn't mean that expansion will stop at it.

Never said it was the sole means of core retention but it damn sure cannot hurt.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by anothergun
and a harder core base AND … INTERLOCK BAND has nothing to do with it. So how did does thier line WITHOUT a cannelure LOCK ? but Good to know you’re convinced it helps.

What precisely do you mean by harder core base?

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I’ll give you the jacket, and the core and l never said it locks the two together did l ?

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mathman

He has NO idea WTF he is talking about, just spewing crap, like the private message he sent me

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

Email Sierra and ask them

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I will call em tomorrow
I’ll give you the jacket, and the core and l never said it locks the two together did l ?
Core and jacket from what?

Never said you said it did. Said Hornady claims it does.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

First of all, I was referring to your comment in a post about the Interlock, a Hornady product.

Second, I don't believe Sierra has ever used differential hardness in their cores. Speer used to in the Grand Slam.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don’t like wasting other components, besides l don’t shoot a lot, range is to far away.

Can’t understand how any bullet that l can crank down in a vice and barely come apart separate through soft tissue/bone like a deer or blow up ?

That's all one needs to know about this joker.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JakeM78

He has NO idea WTF he is talking about, just spewing crap, like the private message he sent me

Tell that to Sierra and eat your words.

We make the core of the bullet from four lead alloys: 6% antimony-4% tin, 6% antimony, 3% antimony, 1 1/2% antimony, and pure lead. For each bullet, we select the proper lead alloy for the best combination of accuracy and expansion in the finished projectile

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

First of all, I was referring to your comment in a post about the Interlock, a Hornady product.

Second, I don't believe Sierra has ever used differential hardness in their cores. Speer used to in the Grand Slam.
Sierra gets their lead in huge slugs and forces them through a die which forms the diameter of the slug, thinking it forms a lead wire if I remember correctly.

Pretty sure they would have to touch every single core in order to have a softer front end and a harder rear end.

Those Grand Slams supposedly poured molten lead in for the rear and may have had a lead wire pushed in before the lead was 100% cool then the jacket was probably drawn up around the core.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

We make the core of the bullet from four lead alloys: 6% antimony-4% tin, 6% antimony, 3% antimony, 1 1/2% antimony, and pure lead. For each bullet, we select the proper lead alloy for the best combination of accuracy and expansion in the finished projectile

No need to call them, is there ?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

That does not say they use more than one alloy in a single bullet.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1911a1, 62 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,729
Posts18,514,326
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.