Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Electric tape. Two pieces in a cross works great. Shoot through it with no problems and no point of impact shift.

Yep, this.

And if you wrap a few wraps around the muzzle over top the 4 tag ends that will secure the two crossed pieces in place AND you have enough tape on hand to put it back again if you shoot, and not be hunting a roll of it in your pocket or pack.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes….. good ole electrical tape, Scotch Super 88 or Super 33+ have been our much preferred! We’ve been using electrical tape for well in excess of 35 years! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/01/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Electric tape. Two pieces in a cross works great. Shoot through it with no problems and no point of impact shift.

Yep, this.

And if you wrap a few wraps around the muzzle over top the 4 tag ends that will secure the two crossed pieces in place AND you have enough tape on hand to put it back again if you shoot, and not be hunting a roll of it in your pocket or pack.

We (wife and I) keep a partial roll in our day packs! Electrical tape can be used for a multitude of uses in the field…….from first aide to equipment repair! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by memtb

Yep, this.

We (wife and I) keep a partial roll in our day packs! Electrical tape can be used for a multitude of uses in the field…….from first aide to equipment repair! memtb

Absolutely.

Zip ties too are an incredibly useful thing to have in your pack.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Yep, this.

Exactly how I do it on the days I think I'll need it. 2 strips across each other, 2-3 wraps around.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gas blows tape off well before the bullet gets there. whatever color floats yer boat ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I like to wrap a couple layers around them then.

Make me feel more secure.🙃
And if I shoot, the next covering is right there.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by Raeford
Must be blue!

Raeford;
Good evening to you sir, I trust that your part of the Blue Ridge mountains is getting appropriate weather or at least some you can work with.

Thanks for the chuckle this evening, I thought the exact same thing when I first read the query and was glad that some of the other 'Fire folk who've been here a day or two remembered it as well.

When I first taped up my rifle barrel it was actually green like beretzs' but was shown the error of my ways here and had to conform.

In the "for whatever it's worth" category, I've played with red, blue, green, yellow, white and black electrician's tape to see what kind of a bore check could still be done when pulling the bolt and holding the muzzle up to some light source if not the sun.

Obviously black is a no go, but even the darker colors like 'Campfire Blue and beretzs green still allow enough light through so one can kinda sorta check.

Red just offended my apparently tender sensibilities too much, but white worked okay on a winter coyote rifle that had a white camo barrel wrap on it.

Thanks for the chuckle and the memories as well sir.

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne
Here's one more color for you to try...

[Linked Image from rocketindustrial.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've had several people ask why I have a few turns of electrical tape around my barrel 3-4 inches aft of the muzzle. I tell them that I had the barrel shortened but didn't like the velocity loss, so I taped the old barrel back on.

Every single one of them has fallen for it.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by okie john
I've had several people ask why I have a few turns of electrical tape around my barrel 3-4 inches aft of the muzzle. I tell them that I had the barrel shortened but didn't like the velocity loss, so I taped the old barrel back on.

Okie John

You run with some strange characters.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

Okie John

I do the same, told an old curmudgeonly range safety officer that the barrel split there so I taped it up so the split wouldn't get bigger. He didn't take it well. I thought he was going to throw me off the range.

Lots of people ask what the tape is for.. a lot of them guess its a poor mans tuner

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fish30ought6
gas blows tape off well before the bullet gets there. whatever color floats yer boat ...

Correct !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Okie John

laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1badf350, 16gage, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,958
Posts18,519,418
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.