Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
AR10 build on an Aero upper & lower with a 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel. Geisselle trigger, charging handle, and all other internals. JP Enterprises complete full mass BCG, JP Enterprises captured buffer assy.
Approximately 300 rounds through the rifle. About 7-8 times now, the bolt has become stuck closed with a live round in the chamber. Trigger releases, but there is no dent on the primer. I have to use a wood block or mallet and beat the charging handle to retract the bolt and live round. ..cannot pull it open even using two hands. This has occurred with different mag/ammo combinations and I can't see any obvious wear or binding points inside the reciever.
Any suggestions on where to start looking for this issue?
Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When that happens is nearly always a brass case that's sized wrong or bulged from an incorrect crimp.

The easy way to extract is to "mortar" the rifle. Do that by removing the magazine and kneel down.
While pulling downward/rearward on the charging handle bang the butt plate into the ground with some force. The bolt carrier is only forced forward by the recoil spring, so the impact overcomes the force of the spring and the carrier acts like a shaft hammer against the bolt which jerks the cartridge out of the chamber. Because you are pulling down on the charging handle any movement rearward of the bolt is not allowed to go back forward and "re-jam" the shell.

Note: If you have a telescoping stock collapse it all the way 1st before doing this .

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Amazincaucasian
AR10 build on an Aero upper & lower with a 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel. Geisselle trigger, charging handle, and all other internals. JP Enterprises complete full mass BCG, JP Enterprises captured buffer assy.
Approximately 300 rounds through the rifle. About 7-8 times now, the bolt has become stuck closed with a live round in the chamber. Trigger releases, but there is no dent on the primer. I have to use a wood block or mallet and beat the charging handle to retract the bolt and live round. ..cannot pull it open even using two hands. This has occurred with different mag/ammo combinations and I can't see any obvious wear or binding points inside the reciever.
Thanks

After you pull the stuck round, what kind of markings are on it?

Rifling marks on the bullet?

Marks on the neck or shoulder?

Might need to paint a few rounds with a sharpie, cycle them by hand and see where they are hitting.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by szihn
When that happens is nearly always a brass case that's sized wrong or bulged from an incorrect crimp.

The easy way to extract is to "mortar" the rifle. Do that by removing the magazine and kneel down.
While pulling downward/rearward on the charging handle bang the butt plate into the ground with some force. The bolt carrier is only forced forward by the recoil spring, so the impact overcomes the force of the spring and the carrier acts like a shaft hammer against the bolt which jerks the cartridge out of the chamber. Because you are pulling down on the charging handle any movement rearward of the bolt is not allowed to go back forward and "re-jam" the shell.

Note: If you have a telescoping stock collapse it all the way 1st before doing this .
Thank you for that tip, I'll try the " mortar" method next time. It's a non telescoping rifle length stock

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Thanks

After you pull the stuck round, what kind of markings are on it?

Rifling marks on the bullet?

Marks on the neck or shoulder?

Might need to paint a few rounds with a sharpie, cycle them by hand and see where they are hitting.
I didn't notice any markings on the bullets or shoulders, this is what has me so confused. I'm loading to mag length , minus. 002
I initially thought it was a tight chamber since I've experienced similar problems with an M1A. So I loaded up a test batch using a small base die and had the same failure.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
factory ammo is OK?

Headspace is checked? I usually buy the bolt/ barrel from the same guy.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Check the case length too. I had that problem with soft Hornady brass in a grendel after just a few loadings. Once I trimmed the cases it was fine.

Bb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bing Bing.. this happened to me also.

Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Check the case length too. I had that problem with soft Hornady brass in a grendel after just a few loadings. Once I trimmed the cases it was fine.

Bb

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
funny part is this profile has been to let himself known that he is genius on everything. and it comes out he's having such simple issues and from California this is [bleep] hilarious

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by ldholton
funny part is this profile has been to let himself known that he is genius on everything. and it comes out he's having such simple issues and from California this is [bleep] hilarious
Thanks for the insightful reply. Are you angry because your goat rejected you this morning or because your EBT card was denied at Dollar General? Either way, I hope you have a great week.
GfY

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ldholton
Thanks for the insightful reply. Are you angry because your goat rejected you this morning or because your EBT card was denied at Dollar General? Either way, I hope you have a great week.
GfY
you're gleaming intelligence on what you know about people just come shining through don't it... not sure yet which your other profile was that got ran off but I can see you're still butt hurt about that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty easy to spot the reincarnated...

The real question is - who were they in their previous life. Hummmm

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not trying to sell anything but a Hornady comparator opened my eyes to some sizing issues I was having. I already had the electronic calipers so my investment was small. I get the feeling that the op is not squeezing down his brass enough while resizing.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Measure fired brass.

And several times around the circumference.

Egg shaped chambers can cause these issues.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 6MMWASP, 17 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,919
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.