Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jc189 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
This past weekend was our youth hunt weekend in our area. I took two of my grandkids to Deer camp. The goal was to get my 8 year old year grandson his first deer, and my 10 year old granddaughter her first Buck.

We have spent lots of range time and they are both ready. My grandson (Merritt) is shooting an AR 6.5 Grendel with Hornady 123gr SST'S.
My granddaughter (Addie) is shooting a S.S. Tikka T3X Lite 6.5 Creedmoor (youth stock) with Hornady 130gr ELD-M'S

For last years youth hunt Merritt was able to take a nice pig for his first kill. And Addie was able to shoot her first pig and a Doe, her first deer. We were all very excited to get out Saturday morning. I would be hunting with Addie and Merritt would be hunting with his father. The plan was to then switch up on Sunday, I would hunt with Merritt and Addie with her father.

I went up to camp on Friday to check some trail cameras and make a plan for the next morning. We had several shooter Bucks and Mature shooter Does on camera and some pigs also.

On Saturday morning we were all set in the stands and ready to go about an hour before first lite. The morning started out slow. It was very still and foggy, not much moving. visibility was poor out past 90 yards or so. It took about 45 minutes for the fog to start burning off. At around 8:45 A Big mature shooter Doe popped out of the Woodline at 120 yards. She moving at a steady clip. I told Addie to get on the gun and let me know as soon as she got her in the scope. Unfortunately The Doe crossed the shooting lane (approx 20yds wide) and made it back into the Woodline before she could get on her shoulder. All she saw in the scope was the back half of the deer.

About 10 minutes later we heard a shot and got a text from my SIL that Merritt just shot a nice pig. He said he dropped him dead in his tracks, Bang flop at 50yds.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Congrats were sent and after about another hour in the stand it was back to camp to clean a pig.

112lbs on the scale.

Fast forward to the afternoon hunt. We were all set ready to hunt. this time in a different stand. this one was elevated.

After about an hour in the stand I pick up some movement in the pines. I told Addie I'm not sure what it is yet, but get ready. Then a few seconds later I tell her its a deer, not sure if its a Buck or a Doe. The deer stepped into an opening and I could see that it was a goofy looking spike Buck with one antler coming out the side of his head pointing downward. I immediately thought cull Buck, and with a very excited but quiet voice she said " Pop Pop it's a Buck, can I shoot it?" I told her if she wanted to she could shoot it. I told her you know where to put the crosshairs. Breath, relax, aim and squeeze. Just as I finished the sentence, Bang. First Buck down. Perfect shot. He dropped like a rock. Never even took a step. Shot was 90yds. It was hugs, Hi fives, and one very happy little girl. You would have thought she had just dropped a 180" 10 point. Pop Pop was pretty happy too.

About 10 minutes after texting mom and dad the news and pics, I got a text from my SIL. Doe Down. Merritt just shot his first Deer.

It was a great day. A first Buck for Addie and a first deer for Merritt about 15 minutes apart.

When I got out of the army in 1980 my unit presented me with a Buck knife. That knife is 43 years old. I have never used it. just kept it in the box. last year I had it engraved for this occasion. It says to Merritt love Pop Pop. I left a spot to put the date of his first deer kill on it.

Now the work begins.

I am truly Blessed and to borrow a line from Davelefty. " Praise the Lord for grandchildren and creating memories!"

Last edited by jc189; 10/31/23.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That looks lovely le a pretty amazing weekend that created some once in a lifetime memories for the whole family JC! I wish I would’ve thought about a knife for each of my boys that could have commemorated their first deer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thats as good as it gets! Congrats to all!

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Congrats on a great set of firsts!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, heck yeah! Good on the kiddos and gramps!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Great thread! Awesome pictures and memories for a lifetime!

A man without a stick will get bitten even by sheep.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome, thanks for sharing

CK
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Awesome!

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great youth hunt

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
J
jc189 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

I got Addies skull cleaned up last night. I think I'm gonna tell her that its a drop tine Spike. Lol.

I'm really proud of those little guys for being 8 and 10 years old. All three shots were perfect bang flops, DRT. I try to teach them If they don't have the shot they need to drop them, don't pull the trigger.

Addie is using the knife I gave her when she shot her first deer (Doe) last year.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to Pop Pop, and the Grandkids!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great story and a memory they will have forever. 👍👍

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Droptine spike...lol. Great story of a great day. Thanks for sharing with us all!

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That is fantastic. Glad you were able to make it happen and really appreciate you taking us along!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff there. That grandson is obviously yours. The resemblance is striking.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Way to go! What a great hunt for the kids and you! Nice pictures!

Semper Fi
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Very cool 👍

Man, that is a crazy spike... seen some pretty crooked ones but never one dropped like that before.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for sharing this story and the smiles on the young ones faces says a lot. Congrats to all of you!!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Awesome! Thanks for posting

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That's fantastic. I love it. My nephew and I got his first hog in Lorida some years back, when we lived in Hillsborough County. Where were you hunting?

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.