Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm definitely going to look into getting a nipple for the musket caps.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
One "issue" I've had over the years, replacing a #11 nipple with a musket cap nipple, is a musket cap nipple is taller and I had to "adjust" (as in heat it up and bend it) the hammer a little for it to hit flat on the musket cap. A taller nipple can effect how the hammer hits the cap. Might be an issue, might not be.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If CCI Musket caps make damn sure you don't get the reenactment caps.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
One "issue" I've had over the years, replacing a #11 nipple with a musket cap nipple, is a musket cap nipple is taller and I had to "adjust" (as in heat it up and bend it) the hammer a little for it to hit flat on the musket cap. A taller nipple can effect how the hammer hits the cap. Might be an issue, might not be.

Yeah, nothing is ever that easy, it seems. I've also read that the larger diameter of the musket cap requires very good alignment of the hammer to the nipple.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Good to know. What's the difference between them?

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
No experience with the Trade Rifle, but I've had a GPR in 54 for years. PRB and real blackpowder is all I've shot in mine. I bought a Green Mountain barrel for mine thinking it might be an upgrade, but the original barrel shoots as good or better. I really enjoy mine - lots of fun to shoot...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Fire.

The 4 wing CCI are not as hot as old 6 wing caps. I am not so sure the newer CCI are any hotter than a good #11. I used musket caps for a while then started using CCI #11 magnum caps and have some RWS #11. No issue w either but I am lighting real black.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JGray
No experience with the Trade Rifle, but I've had a GPR in 54 for years. PRB and real blackpowder is all I've shot in mine. I bought a Green Mountain barrel for mine thinking it might be an upgrade, but the original barrel shoots as good or better. I really enjoy mine - lots of fun to shoot...

I slept too long on the GPR, it seems they are no longer in production. I should have bought one of the LH models years ago.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

Fire.

The 4 wing CCI are not as hot as old 6 wing caps. I am not so sure the newer CCI are any hotter than a good #11. I used musket caps for a while then started using CCI #11 magnum caps and have some RWS #11. No issue w either but I am lighting real black.

I did see some four-wing musket caps in stock at the local Sportsmans Warehouse. The tin did say 'for reenactment use'. I wondered what that really meant.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I slept too long on the GPR, it seems they are no longer in production. I should have bought one of the LH models years ago.

LH can still be found here and there
I was looking JFG a while back
Track of the Wolf ( maybe?) had a
LH still listed

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Ranger99

LH can still be found here and there
I was looking JFG a while back
Track of the Wolf ( maybe?) had a
LH still listed

I was looking around on Track of The Wolf earlier today. I see they have a LH Lyman Deerstalker, 54 cal, percussion for sale. Used, $499. Didn't see any GPR's.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Fire.

I did see some four-wing musket caps in stock at the local Sportsmans Warehouse. The tin did say 'for reenactment use'. I wondered what that really meant.
Supposedly they had someone sue them when a piece of a regular 6 wing cap got in his eye or embedded in his face.

At least that's the information for the difference on the net.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My bad on my #11, the CCI are regular, not Nagnums.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The 54 cal. CVA St. Louis Hawken kit gun I built. 90gr FFg under a 230gr patched RB. Pretty good sized pig, I'm 6'-4" 230ish... Pig didn't stand a chance...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Yeah, nothing is ever that easy, it seems. I've also read that the larger diameter of the musket cap requires very good alignment of the hammer to the nipple.

This is true, but at least on both my TC's it was easy to fix the alignment by loosening the lock screw and shimming the lock to align it better, rather than bending the hammer.

The new CCI musket caps are all I've used...they do not seem to be hotter than a #11 from what I can tell. Just gives another option to keep the gun running.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The new CCI musket caps are all I've used...they do not seem to be hotter than a #11 from what I can tell. Just gives another option to keep the gun running.[/quote]

4 wing or 6??

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/06/23.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The 54 cal. CVA St. Louis Hawken kit gun I built. 90gr FFg under a 230gr patched RB. Pretty good sized pig, I'm 6'-4" 230ish... Pig didn't stand a chance...

Nice!

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The Trade Rifle arrived yesterday.

I like the looks, size, weight and all that about it. Overall I'm pleased with it and excited to get it shooting.

There were a few glaring things that got my attention though.

First, the hammer was rubbing the stock. No biggie, I removed enough wood there to relieve the hammer of any contact on the wood.

Second, the main lock bolt was also rubbing the hammer, so removed it and filed it down enough to be flush with the lock plate, and touched it up with a bluing pen.

Third, the cocking of the hammer and the trigger pull are/were very rough, and hitchy. I put some fine grit (600) firelapping compound on all the contact surfaces, and cocked and released (letting the hammer down under control) a few hundred times. It's starting to smooth out, but still needs more repetitions.

To be honest, I was kind of disappointed in that trigger. The CVA kits I had built in the 70's were far and away better in that department, although the leaf spring on the 45 cal Kentucky pistol, did break in under 50 rounds fired. This Trade Rifle does have a coil mainspring, so that should be fairly durable.

Anyhoo, I'm still waiting for delivery of cap, ball, patches, and powder, but we should be making smoke this weekend or so. In the meantime I cleaned the bore, it was filthy with preservative, as normal.

Here's a pic of the new rifle,

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sharp looking rifle MM. Looking forward to seeing you air it out.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Very nice indeed! A little Flitz on internals does a pretty good job too...

Enjoy!

NRA life member

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,395
Posts18,488,841
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.