Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If Aarom was using his head, regardless of whose deer it was, he would have graciously given her the deer, taken a crap load of photos together and made it into a story. Or better yet, let her leak that story. What a great publicity stunt that would have been. He would have made friends for life. All over the place.

Yup.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jason280
If Aarom was using his head, regardless of whose deer it was, he would have graciously given her the deer, taken a crap load of photos together and made it into a story. Or better yet, let her leak that story. What a great publicity stunt that would have been. He would have made friends for life. All over the place.

Yup.

Yup. Yup.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find it interesting that Arum has pulled his FB post.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That is VERY interesting news.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
Even he realized it sounded like the BS it was.

Jim

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Apparently neither considered the ethical option. Buy the long range toys and become David Tubb overnite. Neither hunter was hunting for subsistence, all about the kill, the trophy, the glory. Piss on 'em both.

This^^^^
What poor hunters if they can only get to within 630 and 730 yards. Neither should hunt again

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
In the 4th paragraph he says that he didn't range the deer and then a couple of sentences later he says that the range is 730 yards. What did he do, range it after he took the shot and wounded the deer?

The deer was obviously a long way off, but he didn't take time to range it before he took the shot? That seems like irresponsible behavior, particularly so when done by an experienced guy who writes about shooting sports for a living. If a guy who I was hunting with did that it would be our last hunt together.
Noticed that about the range discrepancy, too. God forbid they all just, you know, *hunted* and got closer.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Anybody else take exception to shooting at what you think is an unwounded deer that is moving at over 700 yards?
That speaks a lot more about ethics than someone taking a ranged shot with a steady rest.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by Jason280

Yup.

Yup. Yup.

This, 100%.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
He was a guy that could ill afford a stunt like that. The poor shooting is a moot point, it's the way he handled it that bothers me. A gut shot is 100% a fatal shot. A deer cannot survive that. Period.
A knee wound is very survivable. I've seen several 3 legged deer.
He made a number of statements that just show his true colors; probably why he pulled his post. This is a very unfortunate thing to have happen and he controlled the whole thing.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Not surprised he got blasted and pulled down that FB post.

It basically read that they both shot like sheit but he was more knowledgeable and deserving of the deer as an expert hunter than that silly girl. It was also throwing a lot of shade on them alluding to law breaking and chocked full of red herrings.

I don't know how it went on the mountain that day but Aram's handling of it after the fact makes him look like a huge dick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pulling it down was smart.

Not making the post would have been smarter.

Not behaving in a way that creates controversy would have been smarter yet.

But this is who the guy is:

"What I did say was that I felt like peoples first deer shouldn’t be monsters. I do believe that."

It brings me immeasurable joy when I see posts here where members have taken their kids or grandkids hunting and they score a monster as a first deer.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I was once stalking a small whitetail and was within 50 yds and getting ready to shoot. Suddenly, I heard a crack, the deer humped up, and his guts fell out! Another guy had shot at the deer from about 300 yds away. I was a little annoyed, but finished the deer off and let the guy who hit it first have the deer.
Probably more annoying was the time I looked out my window and saw a legal bull elk in the field, about three hundred yards from the house. I put on my robe and hunting slippers, picked up the 308 Norma, and headed out the door on my hunt. I figured to shoot from the corral. I was just getting to the corral when the bull drops and I hear the boom right after. Disgusted, I just turned around and headed back to the house. Now, here's the worst part; possibly because he had seen me and realized he had shot on private land with no permission, the shooter took off. I was unaware of this because I simply didn't look again, and where the bull had fallen was out of sight of the house. The next morning, I walked out that way and saw the bull lying there. So, I didn't get the elk, he didn't get the elk, and a nice bull served only to feed the coyotes. GD

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I meant to add my opinion that neither of the people in the story should have been shooting at that deer. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Pulling it down was smart.

Not making the post would have been smarter.

Not behaving in a way that creates controversy would have been smarter yet.

But this is who the guy is:

"What I did say was that I felt like peoples first deer shouldn’t be monsters. I do believe that."

It brings me immeasurable joy when I see posts here where members have taken their kids or grandkids hunting and they score a monster as a first deer.

All this.

Tis a shame he disabled comments to his FB page. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That is VERY interesting news.....

Typical behaviour these days. No?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
What's also interesting is pulling his FB post really isn't going to help much, because it's already been reposted in several places--including here.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Believe it's already been said, but it's a shame what hunting has become.

Regardless of how he thought the shot was a kill shot or not, he should have been the bigger person and walked away. One deer will more than likely ruin any future writing career of his and I'm guessing will negatively affect his brother as well. I enjoy the back country hunting podcast.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
In my opinion, this whole story is exactly why long range hunting for anything except varmints shou be discouraged.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I sure hope it doesn't affect Joseph's career. Spent three days with him at an "industry" target shoot in Texas in 2022, and he seems to be a real straight shooter--in two different ways.

Might also mention that I have killed some big game out to around 550 yards--and even before laser rangefinders, by using my scope's reticle as a range-estimator. This was when I guided for a while in the late 1980s, and sometimes finished off animals wounded by clients, or by other people and encountered while hunting--especially pronghorns.

But was recently looking at my hunting notes, and even with laser rangefinders in a couple of my binoculars I haven't shot a big game animal beyond 360 yards in the last decade. (Varmints are a different deal.)

John Steinbeck
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (12344mag, 1_deuce, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 41 invisible), 11,528 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,241
Posts18,544,285
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.