Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tdoyka Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
https://breakingdefense.com/2023/11...issile-a-first-for-joint-strike-fighter/

Israel uses F-35I to shoot down cruise missile, a first for Joint Strike Fighter
By SETH J. FRANTZMAN
on November 02, 2023 at 5:02 PM

JERUSALEM — The Israel Defense Forces said that it used F-35I Adir fighter jets to shoot down a cruise missile this week, the first known cruise missile intercept by the American-made stealth fighter.

“In recent days, a cruise missile launched from the southeast toward Israeli airspace was detected by the IAF’s control and detection systems. After tracking the cruise missile’s trajectory, Adir fighter jets were scrambled and successfully intercepted the missile,” the IDF said today, while releasing video of the incident.

The cruise missile was likely launched from the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen, although the IDF did not specify the launch site. While Israeli did not specify what weapon was used to intercept the incoming cruise missile, Israel’s F-35I variants are armed with both the AIM-9X Sidewinder and Aim-120 AMRAAM missiles.

Israel’s F-35s were declared operational in 2017 and they were used in combat in 2018 for the first time. Israel signed a deal to buy an additional 25 of the aircraft in July. The country will eventually have 75 of the fifth-generation aircraft.

The IDF also hold the title of the first known kill by an F-35, when in March 2021 it shot down two drones it says were launched from Iran.

Since the Oct. 7 assault by Hamas that killed more than 1,400 people in Israel, the airborne threat from Yemen has been increasing. On Oct. 18, the Houthis in Yemen launched drones and cruise missiles toward Israel, with the Pentagon saying the USS Carney intercepted 15 drones and four cruise missiles over 9 hours. Another attack was launched on Oct. 27, but the projectiles landed in Egypt. And on Oct. 31 Israel used its Arrow system, which was jointly developed with the US, to intercept a ballistic missile from Yemen.

While this is the first time an F-35 is known to have killed a cruise missile, the capability has long been discussed.

The Trump administration’s Missile Defense Review, released January 2019, included language calling for the F-35 to be developed and armed for an ICBM intercept mission. And In 2019 The Jerusalem Post reported that “amid concerns that Iran may attack Israel with cruise missiles, a senior Lockheed Martin representative revealed on Tuesday that the stealth F-35 Adir fighter jet can detect and intercept such threats.” At the time Gary North, vice president for customer requirements and aeronautics at Lockheed, “told reporters that the AN/APG-81 AESA radar allows the advanced jet to identify and intercept airborne threats flying at a low altitude and at high speeds, like cruise missiles.”

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
So what 2 kinds of Navy jets shot down the rogue Sea Why Ayes incoming missile to Hawa...., uh, nevermind.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
this been verified by SupFool?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where did Hamas get the cruise missile?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Biden

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
tdoyka Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
The cruise missile was likely launched from the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen, although the IDF did not specify the launch site.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tzone

Biden

Whoomp, there it is!

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tdoyka
The cruise missile was likely launched from the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen, although the IDF did not specify the launch site.

sure toooty

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BFD

The Brits took down V1's with their wingtips.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So that is what a V-1 looks like... I thought that they were traditional missiles..

-OMotS

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So that is what a V-1 looks like... I thought that they were traditional missiles..

You're thinking of the V2.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Time to do a little Houthi-thinning…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SupFoo

You're thinking of the V2.

Dats right...
I an a bit hazy on my German Armament since I have had to start worrying about who has our stuff.

-OMotS

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am thrilled to hear our F-35 can shoot down our cruise missile.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
lmao

The B-52 “i’ve un-alived more people than cancer”

🤣🤣

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A $82 million dollar jet with a $1.4 million dollar missile can do what a $60,000 Iron Dome missile can do.

Good to know.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SupFoo
BFD

The Brits took down V1's with their wingtips.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's an incredible picture.

I wonder if that's DD........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
this been verified by SupFoo?
Yes,

Thanks SupFoo

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That Hurricane pilot is about to fook up. With his wingtip on top of the V-1s, he'll have to roll INTO the V-1 to get it to upset. To avoid a midair, you'd have to get your wingtip under the other one and then roll sharply AWAY.

Shooting down a cruise missile ought to be duck soup for an F-35. Straight and level, subsonic target with a bright IR signature. In fact, any fighter with an AIM-9 would find it as simple as look, lock, and launch.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks Rocky. That puts a different perspective on the photo.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That Hurricane pilot is about to fook up. With his wingtip on top of the V-1s, he'll have to roll INTO the V-1 to get it to upset. To avoid a midair, you'd have to get your wingtip under the other one and then roll sharply AWAY.

Not trying to flip it. Just trying to disrupt the airflow:

"The bumping action was a last resort. The idea was to get the wing of the plane as close to the missile as possible.”

“Some pilots would have touched the wing – the different air pressure at the tip of the aircraft would be enough to cause a disturbance in the aerodynamics around the wing which is then enough to knock it off course, disrupt the gyroscopes and then get the aircraft crash into the ground.

“That’s all it needed to do to disrupt the flightpath, just slightly, and either by physically hitting the wing, or actually it takes more skill, to put the wing so close that the vortexes at the wingtip disturb the air around the V1 wing itself, causing it to go off course.”

https://www.forces.net/heritage/wwii/how-spitfire-pilots-really-rammed-v1-bomb-out-sky

Last edited by SupFoo; 11/05/23.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It said they thought it came from Yemen, so pick your Arab state.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The wingtip vortices are little tornadoes generated by the air trying to go over and around the wingtip. They’re very powerful on a commercial jet and the heavier the a/c the stronger they are. They’re easily strong enough to cause loss of control.

Moving just a little forward of the missile’s wingtip would put it in the vortex and lift it,upsetting the gyros.

The little vertical winglets on commercial jets help disrupt the those vortices which reduces the drag caused by the wing’s creation of lift, decreasing fuel consumption.

Last edited by navlav8r; 11/06/23.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Shooting down a cruise missile ought to be duck soup for an F-35. Straight and level, subsonic target with a bright IR signature. In fact, any fighter with an AIM-9 would find it as simple as look, lock, and launch.

I see other have addresseds the photo.

While it might be"duck soup" for the shootdown it was still the first time for an F-35, which was the point of the OP.

Why so negative about everything?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I see other have addresseds the photo.

While it might be"duck soup" for the shootdown it was still the first time for an F-35, which was the point of the OP.

Why so negative about everything?

you pumped gas in the Air Force. Now you're a military egg spurt? lol

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by navlav8r
The wingtip vortices are little tornadoes generated by the air trying to go over and around the wingtip. They’re very powerful on a commercial jet and the heavier the a/c the stronger they are. They’re easily strong enough to cause loss of control.

Moving just a little forward of the missile’s wingtip would put it in the vortex and lift it,upsetting the gyros.

The little vertical winglets on commercial jets help disrupt the those vortices which reduces the drag caused by the wing’s creation of lift, decreasing fuel consumption.

Unclear on this. I thought V1’s (and any of that generations missiles) were basically flying bombs. They didn’t have guidance systems and just flew until they ran out of fuel and then crashed and exploded. They could adjust the fuel for distance, I suppose, but not much else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,511
Posts18,509,390
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.