Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Have you considered the Merkel K5 in 7x65R?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
It depends on what game you hunt and I find most of my game would be easily dispatched with a 270 Winchester and 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. The 6.5 Creedmoor has nothing on the 270 and fast twist is for insecure shooters that will always claim bullet placement is the most important aspect of shooting game, but still rely on fast twist and cutting edge ballistics.

KIS is the principle and 270 is the ruler…

I don't know what you mean about insecure shooters or cutting edge ballistics, but Nosler load data for the 120 BT from a 6.5 Creedmoor essentially matches the 270 load with 130. The 7-08 with 120 BT exceeds it. BC is similar for all three bullets.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
lol….had not considered a Merkel….or any other break action or single shot. I’ve got an encore. I could dig a straight pull, Helix or other stuff like it, as long as it was within reason on $ and didn’t weight 10# and feel full of gravel like the Savage abortion. wink

On another note: apples to apples, while you can do a lot by handloading the 7-08 or the 6.5, you can do more by handloading a 270, as well. I’ve got all three. For deer, there’s little difference in any to my mind. For factory fodder and handloads, the differences between all three is splitting hairs overall, but probably leans 270 at TYPICAL hunting ranges with comparable bullet weights. Just no way around displacement for horsepower, though you can argue over fuel economy and turbo BCs all you like. wink

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 11/09/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by shrapnel
It depends on what game you hunt and I find most of my game would be easily dispatched with a 270 Winchester and 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. The 6.5 Creedmoor has nothing on the 270 and fast twist is for insecure shooters that will always claim bullet placement is the most important aspect of shooting game, but still rely on fast twist and cutting edge ballistics.

KIS is the principle and 270 is the ruler…

I don't know what you mean about insecure shooters or cutting edge ballistics, but Nosler load data for the 120 BT from a 6.5 Creedmoor essentially matches the 270 load with 130. The 7-08 with 120 BT exceeds it. BC is similar for all three bullets.

Ron Spomer says it well…

https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/6-5-creedmoor-versus-270-winchester

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Picked up a stainless M70, so maybe it’ll turn into something.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
More displacement would broaden my game spectrum that way…
That’s where I would disagree. Bullet technology has made all the difference in terminal effectiveness. In the last few years, we’ve been killing game from pronghorns, WT, and MD to elk and moose with the 6.5CM, 7-08, etc. As long as it arrives with enough velocity to expand, it’s all about the bullet selection and placement. IME, more velocity will extend the effective range of bullet expansion, but it won’t make the bullet kill bigger critters.

Cheap, fun practice leads to greater bullet placement effectiveness.

Oh, I ‘can’ make stuff dead with lighter stuff and picking the right bullets/placement.

I'm sure you can. smile

...The lighter stuff with good bullets/placement wasn’t as good as bigger stuff, all else equal, for how fast stuff died, how easy it was to find, and less mental gymnastics on shot angles to get to vitals or get an exit. I get it. I just don’t consider the results to be ‘identical’, nor the versatility….at least the bigger stuff gets. It’s just a minor difference, as I run 6.5 & 7-08 for deer, among others. I think they’re great in that role. I think they’ll work well on some bigger stuff. I just don’t think you can logically say they’ll work better than something ‘more’ if all else is equal….other than having less recoil.

Having been in on the killing of a few boat loads of BG animals, using all sorts of cartridges and bullets, based on my experience and observations I would disagree with the bolded statement. The influence of caliber and cartridge on terminal performance and killing effectiveness is negligible (within reason), compared to bullet selection and placement, IME. As mentioned, I've killed and seen killed a bunch of big critters like caribou, elk, bears, and moose, with 6mm to 7mm SA cartridges and bigger LA cartridges. Animals shot with similar shot placement and bullet performance all seemed to die about the same, regardless of caliber or cartridge.

IME, the killing effect is similar, but the likelihood of practice with smaller rounds is higher, and the likelihood of better shot placement is also consequently higher, so I do say that the smaller rounds typically work better than larger rounds, all things considered. I've observed a higher ratio of effective kill shots by guys shooting smaller rounds and a higher ratio of poor shot placement and ineffective shots by guys using larger rounds.

Seems I've heard someone say before that bullets matter more than headstamps, and IME, that is very true.

BUT, as I mentioned before, logic sometimes has little to do with rifle choice. If you simply want the .280AI, I get it. If our rifle choices were purely based on logic, we would each have one rifle, chambered in something between 6 CM and .30-06, and we would proceed to put meat in the freezer.
More displacement would broaden my game spectrum that way…
That’s where I would disagree. Bullet technology has made all the difference in terminal effectiveness. In the last few years, we’ve been killing game from pronghorns, WT, and MD to elk and moose with the 6.5CM, 7-08, etc. As long as it arrives with enough velocity to expand, it’s all about the bullet selection and placement. IME, more velocity will extend the effective range of bullet expansion, but it won’t make the bullet kill bigger critters.

Cheap, fun practice leads to greater bullet placement effectiveness.

Oh, I ‘can’ make stuff dead with lighter stuff and picking the right bullets/placement.

I'm sure you can. smile

...The lighter stuff with good bullets/placement wasn’t as good as bigger stuff, all else equal, for how fast stuff died, how easy it was to find, and less mental gymnastics on shot angles to get to vitals or get an exit. I get it. I just don’t consider the results to be ‘identical’, nor the versatility….at least the bigger stuff gets. It’s just a minor difference, as I run 6.5 & 7-08 for deer, among others. I think they’re great in that role. I think they’ll work well on some bigger stuff. I just don’t think you can logically say they’ll work better than something ‘more’ if all else is equal….other than having less recoil.

Having been in on the killing of a few boat loads of BG animals, using all sorts of cartridges and bullets, based on my experience and observations I would disagree with the bolded statement. The influence of caliber and cartridge on terminal performance and killing effectiveness is negligible (within reason), compared to bullet selection and placement, IME. As mentioned, I've killed and seen killed a bunch of big critters like caribou, elk, bears, and moose, with 6mm to 7mm SA cartridges and bigger LA cartridges. Animals shot with similar shot placement and bullet performance all seemed to die about the same, regardless of caliber or cartridge.

IME, the killing effect is similar, but the likelihood of practice with smaller rounds is higher, and the likelihood of better shot placement is also consequently higher, so I do say that the smaller rounds typically work better than larger rounds, all things considered. I've observed a higher ratio of effective kill shots by guys shooting smaller rounds and a higher ratio of poor shot placement and ineffective shots by guys using larger rounds.

Seems I've heard someone say before that bullets matter more than headstamps, and IME, that is very true.

BUT, as I mentioned before, logic sometimes has little to do with rifle choice. If you simply want the .280AI, I get it. If our rifle choices were purely based on logic, we would each have one rifle, chambered in something between 6 CM and .30-06, and we would proceed to put meat in the freezer.
Worth reading as many times as it takes for one to understand it !

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Shrapnel said it best. Also he has the EXPERIENCE with those cartridges. I came to the same realization with a 270 win after being a die hard 30-06 guy. That 270 with a 130 is wicked. It behaves like a 264 win mag or even a 7 rem with 140s. Everyone can CM this and CM that, the 270 win a superior hunting cartridge. It's really not a debate.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’d go Pre 64 in a 270 or 30-06.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I might just need a 280/7-08/270 or such and a 9.3 safe weight.

"Safe Weight"... that's the quote of the month! Thanks for the chuckle.

I haven’t played with a NULA, but I much prefer the Montana ergos to those of the FC. I would want to play with whatever you decide on before committing to it as your “one rifle.”

As most know here, I've owned a pile of Kimber MT's, and also had two Fieldcrafts. I've handled several ULA's. I definitely prefer Melvin's stock to the Fieldcraft, but I prefer the Montana to either those.

Also, I'm not a fan of the Fieldcraft/NULA "bolt gap"... the bolt is shrunk to save weight and is a nice entry port for all manner of devilment. Not what I'd want on a "THE rifle."

I'm beyond anyone advising me on what I should do. I've bought, built, owned enough rifles to have definite likes and dislikes. However, I'm not so stuck that I can't learn a thing or two; and I do, often.

For me (NB "for me"), a THE rifle should be in a standard chambering (6.5CM, 270, 308W, 30-06, 7mm RM, etc). A cartridge that can be found in any gas station in Montana, so forget about stuff like the 280 ai. If I wanted to use a suppressor, I'd lean toward a long action since with a 17- 18" bbl it will essentially end up equaling a SA with a 22-24" bbl. Speed still matters. Otherwise, I like SA cartridges, with the 308 Win being my all-time favorite. Logic has nothing to do with it, I just like it. The trick is YOU need to know what YOU like and do that. Just like no one can pick a wife for you, no one can tell you which cartridge should trip your wire. As the kids say, "you do you." In your shoes, I'd take your Kimber Adirondak and rebarrel it in something that speaks to me with a 22-23" bbl. I'd dupe the factory contour, but have it heavier from the forend to muzzle, finishing up around .625."

Here in Montana, if a new hunter asks, I tell them get a Tikka T3 in 270 Win, and put a 3-9 Burris Ballistic Plex on top. That's all you need to know about rifles for the rest of your life (could also add, 6.5 CM or 308).

Aside, I own three 308's, two 6.5 CM's, a 270 Win, and a 257 Rob. I could easily do everything, deer to elk, with any of those.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it’s truly a “300 yards on in” rifle the vast majority of cartridge sturm und drang is basically moot. So it really just comes down to what’s going to make YOU happy? Seems from here that the type of game, terrain, and how *you* prefer to hunt would be the defining elements there. Most of my big game animals have been blacktail, around 30 of them, and ironically (given how much $$$, time, hair-pulling, and effort I’ve poured into long range stuff) what rocks my huntin’ world is sneaking around in the PNW rainforest, whacking blacktail with my .358 Model 7. I mean, heck, in truth a .358 could even be a 300-yard rifle… not a very good one, lol, but it’d do it.

I’m personally a fan of short actions… but then of course the ol’ brain gets to thinking about how to maximize things within that constraint… so the last decade or so I’ve been exploring the short-fats. The issue there is usually brass availability… at any rate, my Kimber MT is a 7 WSM and that’s a great rifle right there. I have (3) 7 WSM’s and IF a guy could get brass, that would be my slam dunk recommendation. But you can’t get brass. The other one I’ve been having fun with is 6.5 GAP4S, aka 6.5 SAUM… GAP offers decent Hornady brass for it off and on but… really, 6.5 PRC would be a safer bet and is basically the same thing.

My Kimber 7 WSM bore the brunt of my long-range learning and is due for a new barrel. Since I’m set up for 6.5 GAP (including reamer and gauges) I’m inclined to retube it to that, just for grins. And that’s how I’ll wrap this up: it’s ALL just for grins. smile To thine own self be true, as the wise bear once said.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two safes full of "the rifle" and will probably ad more..... wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i've come toreally be impressed by my model 70 fwt in 280 shooting 140 gr Nosler partitions

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
i gave up worrying about "best" rifle, I hunt with a 375 Ruger Alaskan.

Seems to work.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar

A rifle problem,
On one hand you want one for every occasion.
On the other you keep searching for The One, that's perfect for everything!

Not an uncommon syndrome!😁😁

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by irfubar

A rifle problem,
On one hand you want one for every occasion.
On the other you keep searching for The One, that's perfect for everything!

Not an uncommon syndrome!😁😁

Some might consider it a sickness.... I have embraced it ..... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Shrapnel said it best. Also he has the EXPERIENCE with those cartridges. I came to the same realization with a 270 win after being a die hard 30-06 guy. That 270 with a 130 is wicked. It behaves like a 264 win mag or even a 7 rem with 140s. Everyone can CM this and CM that, the 270 win a superior hunting cartridge. It's really not a debate.

You could have saved a few keystrokes and just told everyone you didn't understand exterior ballistics or SAMMI dimensions controlling chambers and ammo.

If one is going to use 130grs of bullet (and I do very, very often) then it's proper to reap the bennys of .264 inches of diameter and the Creedmoor case.

Less recoil, better bullet performance, much better accuracy, and more retained velocity at range meaning more REACH.

You are right in that it's not a debate, it's just objective facts.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Burns is right for once

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

You could have saved a few keystrokes and just told everyone you didn't understand exterior ballistics or SAMMI dimensions controlling chambers and ammo.

If one is going to use 130grs of bullet (and I do very, very often) then it's proper to reap the bennys of .264 inches of diameter and the Creedmoor case.

Less recoil, better bullet performance, much better accuracy, and more retained velocity at range meaning more REACH.

Someone finally came along and said it! A 270 might have worked for 80 years, but once the Creed showed up, it started bouncing off game. Deer, elk, squirrels. You name it. A 130 grainer in .270 can barely even penetrate cardboard well enough to sight in. Why can't you losers figure this out? Stick has been trying to teach you for years. But he can't do it alone! Now John Burns is carrying the torch, too! THE MOVEMENT IS GROWING! ALL THAT MATTERS IS ENERGY AND DROP AT 1000 YARDS. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'LL NEVER SHOOT THAT FAR. OR HALF THAT FAR. IT'S JUST WHAT MATTERS.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

John, I've seen you make some bombs and I know you get it. But come on, that CM is a man bun dude. If I'm running a 6.5, it'll be a 264 wm or a 6.5x284, and i have. But THE RIFLE, needs more than 6.5 in my opinion. I like that 270, always will. A 280 and 06 will always get it done. They aren't cool, I get it, but they are proven. Over 100 years of proof.

Exterior ballistics. Lmao. Who gives a schit.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

John, I've seen you make some bombs and I know you get it. But come on, that CM is a man bun dude. If I'm running a 6.5, it'll be a 264 wm or a 6.5x284, and i have. But THE RIFLE, needs more than 6.5 in my opinion. I like that 270, always will. A 280 and 06 will always get it done. They aren't cool, I get it, but they are proven. Over 100 years of proof.

Exterior ballistics. Lmao. Who gives a schit.

WHO GIVES A [bleep] ABOUT EXTERIOR BALLISTICS?! Apparently you haven't tried to kill a large game animal with a 270, 280, or 06 lately. At 4000 yards, the 270 is carrying ZERO foot pounds of energy, which clearly means any cartridge invented before 2001 is an obsolete toy. WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN?!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.