Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice!

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
GB1

M
M
I was caught
In the middle of a railroad track (thunder)
I looked 'round
And I knew there was no turning back (thunder)
My mind raced
And I thought, what could I do? (Thunder)
And I knew
There was no help, no help from you (thunder)
Sound of the drums
Beating in my heart
The thunder of guns
Tore me apart
You've been
Thunderhawk'd

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nice buck! Try the 250 gr Hornady SST’s

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Very nice 😁

Those are a sweet old gun. The old man had one for a while, and I about wanted to whoop his azz when he traded it off. I had told him several times I'd buy it off him if he ever decided to get rid of it πŸ™„ Hard to find an inline that shoots round balls as well as those do.

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by zcm82
Very nice 😁

Those are a sweet old gun. The old man had one for a while, and I about wanted to whoop his azz when he traded it off. I had told him several times I'd buy it off him if he ever decided to get rid of it πŸ™„ Hard to find an inline that shoots round balls as well as those do.

I bought the first 'blued/walnut' Thunderhawk that made it's way to my burg.
It's been my favorite[most comfortable] gun to shoot since that day.
Wife has the SS/plastic version.

FJB & FJT
IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
His was wood/blued. I bet he didn't put 10 rounds through it. I took it out and shot it a few times just to work up loads for him, since I had a lot more ML supplies than he did. It shot the Hornady .490 RB with the prelubed patches with Swiss 2F or 777 like a dream.

I got a CVA Wolf several years back just as the cheap/ easy button, since I don't shoot ML much anymore, but I would have preferred that Thunderhawk.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
When I was still using my TC Omega a lot I used to use the TC Shockwaves. Almost lost two nice deer due to no blood trail. The think jacket disintegrated inside so no exit wound. Even without hitting major bone (just ribs). Switched to Barnes MZ solid copper and never had another issue. 250gr with the blue ballistic tips. 50 cal. Highly recommend.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
That's a nice deer. Where did the bullet impact? That's crazy that he lived that long then died at your feet.

It was a broadside hit[believe I got one lung maybe], could've clipped a shoulder bone on entry.

Where he was shot to where he wound up was less than 100 yds, and he was dead on his feat when he came tumbling down towards me.
I had to have walked within 50' of him while looking.

Been using Knight 265gn hollow point sabots[.45] in this gun for years and this seems to be a recurring theme with the bullet. Little blood and rarely ever DRT.

I down to my last 10 or so Knight bullets and plan to do some trials this winter with some others.
I've tried several different bullets over the years[Powerbelts, etc] and I've never found anything that shoots nearly as well in it like the Knight sabots.
Are they not expanding much therefore minimal internal damage?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thunderhawks are very fine rifles!
Load it up with some 250 grain .45 caliber XTPs. I shoot them in Harvester crush rib sabots and 70 grains of 3f Swiss Holy Black. Chrono'd velocities are 1575 fps from my Firehawk.
This load has canceled the life subscription of 13 deer from 15 to 150 yards.
Those that moved after the hit left blood trails Stevie Wonder could follow. Most are drt. Those that move off are wobbling like a drunk. None has gone more than 60 yards.
The 300 .45 NON MAG XTP, same charge and 1500 fps, also makes a lovely batch of chest soup.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Muddly
Thunderhawks are very fine rifles!
Load it up with some 250 grain .45 caliber XTPs. I shoot them in Harvester crush rib sabots and 70 grains of 3f Swiss Holy Black. Chrono'd velocities are 1575 fps from my Firehawk.
This load has canceled the life subscription of 13 deer from 15 to 150 yards.
Those that moved after the hit left blood trails Stevie Wonder could follow. Most are drt. Those that move off are wobbling like a drunk. None has gone more than 60 yards.
The 300 .45 NON MAG XTP, same charge and 1500 fps, also makes a lovely batch of chest soup.

Thanks
I'll see about getting some

FJB & FJT
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've used 44 cal 240 gr hornady XTP's in my Encore for a long time with no complaints.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Very nice buck. I use to have the same gun. Sold it to my brother in law.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
That's a nice deer. Where did the bullet impact? That's crazy that he lived that long then died at your feet.

It was a broadside hit[believe I got one lung maybe], could've clipped a shoulder bone on entry.

Where he was shot to where he wound up was less than 100 yds, and he was dead on his feat when he came tumbling down towards me.
I had to have walked within 50' of him while looking.

Been using Knight 265gn hollow point sabots[.45] in this gun for years and this seems to be a recurring theme with the bullet. Little blood and rarely ever DRT.

I down to my last 10 or so Knight bullets and plan to do some trials this winter with some others.
I've tried several different bullets over the years[Powerbelts, etc] and I've never found anything that shoots nearly as well in it like the Knight sabots.

I hunted with a knight 45 caliber MZ for a few seasons. It was very accurate, but no matter what kind of bullet I tried, I got pitiful blood trails. I cussed that gun more times.... Edit, I misread. You are shooting a 50 caliber.

Last edited by CrimsonTide; 12/17/23.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.