Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
did your momie teeech you how to talk that way ? Or did she feed you [bleep] sandwiches?

Last edited by anothergun; 12/08/23.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
When the bottom feeding window licker goes to childish insults he's long lost the fight, and you're a quick loser.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Awww yeah hypo…. Crit

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't think that word means what you think it means sport.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You're a friggin hypocite SPORT, and you definately sport it around on other people and think you're not part of the equation, SPUNK ! the reason why you can't relate is, You are clueless of the fact of what a pathetic Yack azz you really are.

Last edited by anothergun; 12/08/23.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You're just a poser dude.

An internet know-it-all poser.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I may infact consider the Lee hardness tester, but I would approach it as an opportunity to do right what Lee has miserably failed to do with it. Two things with the Lee tester that would annoy me enough to NOT consider it if I were not a tinkerer with a high level of mechanical aptitude and a shop full of tools.

1) the microscope is too small and too hard to view through when held by hand. To improve upon that I would pay a little more for Lee to include a stand to mount the microscope in. I would do better than Lee can do by fabricating a stand to hold it and the bullet steady.

2) the design of the V-block and the requirement of measuring the size of the impression to determine hardness dictates that a bullet must be filed flat enough on one side and laid in the V-block. All of the bullets I cast have a wide enough flat nose to obtain an impression on the nose without wasting time doing any filing and without wasting the time spent on casting the test bullets in the first place. To do right what Lee didn't do right I would have to fabricate a "shell holder" that allows the base (or the nose) of the bullet to set in with the bullet positioned vertically to obtain the impression either on the wide flat nose or on the base.

In principle the Lee tester makes a fair bit of sense. The execution of the idea by Lee though simply sucks. As said I would pay a bit more than $75 for the kit to have a stand for the scope and a ram block that didn't require filing a bullet. As cheap as Lee makes their stuff the total price would still beat out the price of a Saeco tester. It's too bad the Lee engineers stopped before they got it right.

Disclaimer, this post is in no way whatsoever in response or in concensus with member anotherposer and his fan boi pimping of Lee products ad nauseum. His opinion is meaningless in the overall scope of things and purely coincidental to my considerations. I'm basing this consideration SOLELY off of testing of hardess testers done by the Los Angeles Silhouette Club and their in depth findings. People that shoot a fair bit more than "not much".

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Since when is how much you spend dictate what you want to settle for ? LMAO

I'm sure you can improve their tool boss..... it sounds like to microscope is the biggest issue, and you can can rig something up to get rid of the shaky hand. You don't have to hold it over the impression that long anyway.

In principle the Lee tester makes a fair bit of sense. The execution of the idea by Lee though simply sucks.

Saywat ????? AAAAgain... the ego takes over and if you'd loose it, you'd be an all right of a guy.

Disclaimer, this post is in no way whatsoever in response or in concensus with member anotherposer and his fan boi pimping of Lee products ad nauseum. His opinion is meaningless in the overall scope of things and purely coincidental to my considerations. I'm basing this consideration SOLELY off of testing of hardess testers done by the Los Angeles Silhouette Club and their in depth findings. People that shoot a fair bit more than "not much".

well good for you, but it's funny how it follows my post though, doesn't is guys ?

Last edited by anothergun; 12/09/23.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I tried a Lee hardness tester way back when they first came out. I too didn't care for the fiddly-ness of it but moreover I preferred then (and do now) a direct reading device. Hence the LBT tester. But, since the vast majority of my bullet making anymore is done with simple tin:lead alloys I don't bother with hardness testing very much - use known elements and mix them uniformly then hardness is a given. Whenever I deign to mix up an alloy employing type metal/wheelweights/lead/tin/God knows what then I'll dust off the hardness tester.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Agreed. Not needed much once you have your mixture. But knowing him he has to test each bullet multiple times.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I tried a Lee hardness tester way back when they first came out. I too didn't care for the fiddly-ness of it but moreover I preferred then (and do now) a direct reading device. Hence the LBT tester. But, since the vast majority of my bullet making anymore is done with simple tin:lead alloys I don't bother with hardness testing very much - use known elements and mix them uniformly then hardness is a given. Whenever I deign to mix up an alloy employing type metal/wheelweights/lead/tin/God knows what then I'll dust off the hardness tester.

Well, that's where I'm at with my stash of bullet metal. The amount of wheel weight material I want to use is substantial. There's nothing "known" for sure about it other than what it came from.

Not to be redundant because I'm sure you know gnoahhh, but others reading may not, and I can guess one for sure, probably not. When WWs were made by many different companies for the auto industry hardness wasn't any kind of major factor, requirement, or consideration. Weight was. The recipe was whatever it took to cast WWs close enough to the prescibed weight and send tons of them out the door with as low an overhead as possible.

No tire guy anywhere ever, said, wait this WW is too hard we need softer ones. Infact, no tire guy anywhere ever, cared if a 1 oz weight actually weighed 1 oz.

What tires guys worry about is can we balance this tire good enough for a smooth enough ride, and will the steel clip hold the weight on long enough to get paid for this.

Now, even the "linotype" I have, which is also a substantial amount, was old letter blocks bought from the basement of an old newspaper that was cleaning house. Who knows how many times that metal had been cast, or how much tin has been cooked out of it, etc.

I'll be taking the vaguely known stuff I have and mixing up something to experiment with. When I dial in on something that does what I want it to do, I want factors of hardness, weight, and as-cast size written down to go by to replicate it later when needed later on.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No ego anotherposer, just the the ability to recognize that Lee products are generally half-assed and not completely thought through. This is a prime example.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Then whole ass them then, you can do it. The ego will make it 100 percent! Oh wait, your gonna buy the tester just to prove your point… yeah ok l got it. 🤣 you don’t have to you know. I believe you!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Feral_American
I may infact consider the Lee hardness tester, but I would approach it as an opportunity to do right what Lee has miserably failed to do with it. Two things with the Lee tester that would annoy me enough to NOT consider it if I were not a tinkerer with a high level of mechanical aptitude and a shop full of tools.

1) the microscope is too small and too hard to view through when held by hand. To improve upon that I would pay a little more for Lee to include a stand to mount the microscope in. I would do better than Lee can do by fabricating a stand to hold it and the bullet steady.

2) the design of the V-block and the requirement of measuring the size of the impression to determine hardness dictates that a bullet must be filed flat enough on one side and laid in the V-block. All of the bullets I cast have a wide enough flat nose to obtain an impression on the nose without wasting time doing any filing and without wasting the time spent on casting the test bullets in the first place. To do right what Lee didn't do right I would have to fabricate a "shell holder" that allows the base (or the nose) of the bullet to set in with the bullet positioned vertically to obtain the impression either on the wide flat nose or on the base.

In principle the Lee tester makes a fair bit of sense. The execution of the idea by Lee though simply sucks. As said I would pay a bit more than $75 for the kit to have a stand for the scope and a ram block that didn't require filing a bullet. As cheap as Lee makes their stuff the total price would still beat out the price of a Saeco tester. It's too bad the Lee engineers stopped before they got it right.

the Lee thing isn't even up for consideration.

Say TWAT ???

I may infact consider the Lee hardness tester, but I would approach it as an opportunity to do right what Lee has miserably failed to do with it.

You sound confused, Ferret.. hey there's always room for improvement, been there, done that ! There is hope for you after all. That makes me happy !

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anotherposer, study the meaning of the words, "may in fact consider". A great attribute possessed by even modestly intelligent people is the ability to evaluate and change course. You on the otherhand stop WAY SHORT of qualifying as even remotely intelligent.

On aside, you should be ashamed of pimping something that needs rethinking and reworking just to get it right. Then again, it's easy to see that you simply can't possibly know any better. Lee should be ashamed as well to bank profit from such garbage.

I have a scrap bucket to throw the f-ucking thing in if it turns out to be unusable junk.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well there is one thing l’m sure of, you are confused and have nothing better else to than act like someone you’re not, poser

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Careful sad little man, you might hurt somebody's feelings someday, somehow.....or something.

LMAO

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Poser

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Poser

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Poser

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.