Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I found a Mod. 70 carbine in .308 Win. at a shop today and not being very familiar with Mod. 70s, wanted to tap into your knowledge.

It was a push feed, 20 inch barreled .308W. It had a lightweight barrel profile, no iron sights and was stamped Carbine. It has a G seven digit serial number. I'm assuming a two piece bottom metal, it has a center screw under the floor plate.

The wood and metal was dang near mint. The only wear was on the edges of the floor plate and maybe the trigger guard. I would rate it a conservative 95%+. Asking price is $700.00.

Any info you would be able to share on the gun/price would be appreciated.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Winchester cataloged 70 Lightweight Carbines with 20" barrel in the mid to late 1980s. You could buy them either with or without open sights.

No idea what they are going for, maybe a quick look at GB would give you an idea what they are selling for.

I have one in 250-3000 without sights that I put into a Featherweight stock, making it a nice handy little rifle.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You should have bought it

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack
You should have bought it
This /\/\/\/\/\

That is a great box blind/ tree stand rifle.
My adult son uses one in .243 almost exclusively deer hunting. Despite having several rifles and calibers to chose from.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have one in 250-3000 without sights that I put into a Featherweight stock, making it a nice handy little rifle.

I think mine has sights but I would need to look. In SA calibers they are a cute little rifle. I had one in '06 that really barked when you shot it.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I believe they made them in 222 REM also

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i seen one at Scheels about a yr ago in 30-06 that was minty... it didn't last the day... had it been a 308 or smaller id'a bought it on the spot!...

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’d a jumped on that you’d have a perfect gun

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I understand ascribing some possible collector value where factory "carbine" nomenclature, ultra nice condition and "wider aesthetics apply. But then for some of us, CRF Classic models, availability of medium length actions, of barrels unadorned of sights, reflective of many stock styles... Such with ease of simply trimming barrel length du Jour, would seem to be powerful counterpoints to value Push Feed upon "Carbine" nomenclature. Pehhaps a favorable price differential for the USRA Push Feed as conducive. For me and I think many other Model 70 enthusiasts... Not!

The disclaimer of not 'dissing' Push Feed. My one early USRA Model 70 in Factory 7mm chambering, heavily weighing on my scales as purchasing. Further, a fan of Sako and other brands as excellent PF rifles. But Winchester Model 70, simple 'another league'.

Just my take!
Best!
John

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Always had a thing for carbines

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by iskra
I understand ascribing some possible collector value where factory "carbine" nomenclature, ultra nice condition and "wider aesthetics apply. But then for some of us, CRF Classic models, availability of medium length actions, of barrels unadorned of sights, reflective of many stock styles... Such with ease of simply trimming barrel length du Jour, would seem to be powerful counterpoints to value Push Feed upon "Carbine" nomenclature. Pehhaps a favorable price differential for the USRA Push Feed as conducive. For me and I think many other Model 70 enthusiasts... Not!

The disclaimer of not 'dissing' Push Feed. My one early USRA Model 70 in Factory 7mm chambering, heavily weighing on my scales as purchasing. Further, a fan of Sako and other brands as excellent PF rifles. But Winchester Model 70, simple 'another league'.

Just my take!
Best!
John

Huh?? Interpreter post!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The first ones out the door had 18.5 inch barrels then later on into the run they had 20inch barrels. The 18.5 are relatively hard to come by. The carbines in the 250-3000 unfortunately had 1-14 twist barrels.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Weren't those really a Featherweight, with a shorter barrel, and a real basic stock?

I had something like that back in the late 90s I picked up at Walmart... but it was as inaccurate as hell...

Would love to have it nowadays, and put a 6 x 45 barrel on it... 1 in 7 twist...

Modify the bolt and rebarrel it to a 6 ARC or a 6.5 Grendal would be a real desirable rifle in my opinion.

a 1.5 to 6 or 1.5 to 8 power scope on top with a 30mm tube.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by iskra

Just my take!
Best!
John

Huh?? Interpreter post!

I believe he’s saying push feeds are fine for anything but a mod 70?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two controlled round bolt action rifles. One is a Ruger .264 Win Mag, and the other is a .280 RCBS built on a Mauser action. They are the smoothest feeding rifles that I have ever used. I have several Model 7 and 700 Remington, combined that I use a lot, but they simply do not feed as slick as the two controlled round fed rifles. They are adequate, but not great. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
14 twist will do just fine in the little carbine. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,265
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.