Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It happens every year.<P>During the off season, I spend so much time talking, reading, and writing about hunting, instead of actually hunting, that I sometimes lose sight of the lessons I have already learned in the field.<P>This year, I was reminded again, quite pleasantly, of why the .30-06 is so revered.<P>So, in the interests of fairness, humility, and a little bit of crow, let me state that for the second year in a row, I've taken my .300 M70 Super Grade and my .30-06 M700 BDL in the big hard case. The M70 is intended as the primary gun (Zeiss scope, bipod, shooting sling, etc., all attached), the M700 goes barebones as the backup. That is, until I start hunting. Pretty soon, the smaller, handier, lighter .30-06 gets grabbed in the morning and the beautiful, custom-tuned, M70 stays in camp. And, this year, amidst all the hoopla about the advantages the .300 has in trajectory, retained energy, heavier bullets, etc., I only made the longest shot on a muley I will ever make. No muss, no fuss, just a dead muley exactly nine man steps from where the bullet hit him! <P>Magnum, schmagnum!!! <P>So, bring on the crow! I hereby amend my personal recommendation for an all-around North-American caliber from the .300 Winchester to the .30-06 Springfield. I know. I'm really going out on a limb here. [Linked Image]<P>Fresh off a hunting trip, not a gun magazine or reloading manual in sight, re-reading Bigmuley's posts in the Mule Deer section, I couldn't agree more with his analysis. On paper, and in the spring, it's easy to note the ballistic differences between the .300 and the .30-06 and give the edge to the mag. In the field, Big's right. Those ballistic differences usually don't amount to squat.<P>But you do have to carry a heavier rifle, heavier bullets, tolerate more recoil and report, and generally pay up front for advantages that are most likely moot. Meanwhile, the .30-06 is taking care of business, as usual, in grand style.<P>My fondness for the .300 has not dissipated, especially as a long-range elk gun. But I learned (OK really learned) this year that a slightly flatter trajectory at long range doesn't place a bullet. A rifleman does. And if you place your bullet, the .30-06 will kill. Period.<P>I think it's time to switch scopes! [Linked Image]<P>Rick<BR>

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Spoken like a true rifleman. But let's see what tune you sing in the Spring, city-boy. [Linked Image]<P>Jack

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick I'm guilty of the same thing. I have access to all kinds of calibers and I keep reaching for my bare-bones Remington Model 700 30.06. My biggest elk, whitetail, mule deer, and bear have all fallen to it. I keep flirting with the magnums but my heart is with the 30.06. With that said have you checked out the ballistic's on the new 300 Winchester Short Magnum? Guess I'll never learn. [Linked Image]

Is it Friday yet?
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sky, you're the kinda guy that would offer a rummy a drink. [Linked Image] Please, whatever you do, don't show me the ballistics on the WSM. Please! I have a mortgage, two kids, a dog, and a deep, unquenchable need to spend money on hunting gear.<P>All I need is a .30-06. All I need is a .30-06. All I need is a .30-06. All I need is a .30-06. (If I say it enough, maybe I'll believe it. [Linked Image]<P>Rick<P>BTW, what do you think of the Lazzeroni short mags? [Linked Image]<P>

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I kinda keep gravitating back to the M96 Swede Mauser w/29" barrel in 6.5x55 caliber..4x Lyman perma-Center scope, Warne QD mounts..I fondle and shoot all my rifles of course, from the venerable Husqvarna 30.06, BRNO .375 H&H, and Voere .270 to the 25 year old Mini 14..All are among my favorite rifles/cartridges..But the 6.5x55 Swede sure is a sweet shooter..and deadly..and I like the heft of a 12 pound rifle with a loop sling.... [Linked Image]..jim

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hardheaded is good, so is that glassyeyed deer in the headlight look when your checking out other options, even if you always go back to tried and true. hey a new rifle and scope is cheaper the a new bassboat and motor, which always has to get bigger and faster, hhhhuuuummmm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick from a pure theoretical standpoint the Lazerroni's are great. From a financial standpoint I'll never own one. Even if I could swing the rifle, the ammo is outrageous. I'd rather spend that kind of money on an extra tank of gas to take me out hunting than a box of overly expensive ammo. You can't even reload those buggers without parting with too much cash IMHO.

Is it Friday yet?
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hi Rick and a few other familar names,<P>I can sure relate to wanting to carry the lighter, handier rifle. You are not alone in waffling on which rifle to take. This is the problem we have as we accumulate more rifles.<P>I used to bring my light and handy 284 win, which has taken several elk as the backup for the 300 win mag. But I believe I have solved this problem. :-) I recently got rid of the 300 ! Well sort of... I rebarreled it to a 338. It weighs around 7 1/2 lbs has a 22 1/2 inch barrel, so there is no excuse to carry any other. It is tied for the lightest and handiest. Now the recoil thing is a bit worse, but not bad with decelerator and 215 gr bullets.<P><BR>This ought to cause a smile. I recently found a beautiful almost new M77 restocked with a laminated stock. It feels and handles so well and it is a 7 x 57! I have already thought about taking it as the second rifle should I get drawn for elk. May end up with it instead of the 338. Figures..<P>As I said before I can relate. Nice to find you guys here....Ross<BR>

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rick,the WSM effectively retired the Lazzeroni short mags. It will REALLY hurt their sales. The WSM,is a very user friendly cartridge,you will be able to put it in most any short action,with minimal mods. I believe it will cause ALL manufacturers,to raise the ante. I for one,am looking towards that........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am now officially really really sick! [Linked Image] <BR>I went to a gunshow in town last Saturday. A gentlman had a 30-06 in Ruger #1 (MY KINDA RIFLE the Ruger #1) like new shot about 20 times. He wanted $400 for it, and it came with a 3X9 accutrak accurange redfield scope. I did not have the cash on hand and thought the wife would kill me or atleast beat me with whatever I brought home. So I passed on it. (I should have taken the beating! it would have been worth it!) Hearing you guys talk about the 30-06 really makes me kick my self...

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
RickBin & Crew -<BR>Hope you don't mind a newbie old guy squeezing in here with a few.<BR>Lost a pre-64 M70 up in Canada back in the early 60's. Being a young family man with shallow pockets, had the opportunity to acquire a Smith/Corona 1903-A3 from the DCM program for the princely sum of $14.50, shipping included. Hunted several years with it in the military configuration, then got a laminated walnut/walnut stock from Herter's. Had a gunsmithing friend reblue it, sent the bolt off to be jeweled and a spoonhandle bolt installed. Drilled and tapped the receiver (TUFF job!) and put a Redfield 2x7 WFLP Accu-trac scope on it.<BR>Through the years, many other rifles came and went, however the 'A3 was the hunting rifle of choice when the mud was being tromped.<BR>A few years ago, found a pre-war M70 in 30-06 that begged to be taken home, and naturally, I obliged. Not having need of two 30-06's, I made the idle comment one day at work that the 'A3 would probably find a new home. One of my co-workers snapped it up before I could think twice and has it today. Realizing the big mistake, he has a standing offer of repurchase at the selling price any time he desires.<BR>I still have a fair selection of centerfire rifles in the ol' vault. If forced to select just one, the M70 '06 would be it.<P>------------------<BR>Keep off the Ridgeline!

Keep off the Ridgeline!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 35, 240NMC, 22 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.