Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I am always pondering over some potential project or another. I have posted a couple of ideas that struck on here over the years and usually see something that points out the flaw in the plan enough to back off of the idea.

This time I’m thinking over something that seems like ultimate handy rifle. One short enough you can keep it on you at all times. Keep it in the cab of the truck, tractor or buggy and it’s compact enough to take out quickly. Full sized stock so it handles like a regular rifle. Using a bullet that will work fine inside of 200 yards which would cover most of the situations I typically find myself wanting to shoot in.

With this use profile, it would stay dirty a lot. Tractors, work trucks and buggies are dusty places. I am thinking it would want a short suppressor on the end so you don’t have to worry as much about keeping up with hearing protection.

Here is what I’m coming up with so far. I am thinking 300 blackout is the right cartridge. I have shot the 110 Barnes bullets extensively on hogs and had great performance out of a 9” barreled AR SBR. Probably wouldn’t go that short, but probably be looking at around 12” barrel and a short suppressor. Would be trying to keep barrel+suppressor under 16” total. Not sure on what suppressor that would be. Mind is completely open in that regard.

I am thinking some form of mini-Mauser action. Maybe that’s a CZ 527. Maybe it is going all out and getting one of Stuart Satterlee’s titanium or stainless mini-Mausers. The Mauser type action is usually important to me for extraction/ejection capabilities. I like being able to ease a case out so I don’t lose brass or yank it back and send it flying when the rifle is gummed up with fine particulate matter.

As far as stock, probably something from Pendleton stocks or maybe one of Satterlee’s carbon fiber stocks if going with one of his actions.

My thought on optics would likely lean towards one of the old Kahles 2-7’s.

Anyways, this is what I was coming up with for a carbine built to use a suppressor and stay handy sized and lively in the hands. I’m curious what thoughts are had about what I’ve come up with here or how others went to try to achieve the same goals.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I’ve put a fair amount of thought into an SBR bolt action but haven’t convinced myself that it’s worth it. I’d probably do an AR myself for that role. If I was going to do an SBR bolt the easy button would be buying a Howa mini carbon in 6 arc or 6.5 Grendel and chopping the barrel.

Even more handy would be a chassis with a folding stock but weight goes up a bunch at that point.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I can see where a folding stock chassis would have some benefits, but I would want it to shoulder and generally feel more like my other rifles. I think a Sako L461 action would be a strong contender.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Out of left field, but I’d strongly consider a 20” stainless/threaded CVA Scout in .243 with a 5” can. They run about $425.

Now with even more aplomb
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Single shot won’t work. With hogs, there are too many opportunities for multiples with a bolt gun to limit to a single shot.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotcha. I’m in the same boat with hogs. I usually ramble around with a 5.56 AR and a can.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Interesting project. Like JPro I just roll with an SBR'd AR for that role.

Howa Mini is the easy button. Or buy a Kimber in the caliber of your choice and chop it. A buddy runs a 12" SBR'd 6.5 creedmoor bolt gun and the 147 ELDMs still kill stuff pretty well despite starting out pretty slow.

Any 5" titanium can should sort you out, suppressor wise, esp in a small capacity case.

Anyway...let us know what you come up with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kinda been thinking along those lines myself lately.
A handy truck gun. And trying to keep the price down.
My thinking is a mini Howa set up for the 6mm PPC.
The reason for the PPC is for 200 yards and under there has never been a more accurate round period.
Plus I have cases and every loading dudad for it....
I like the suppressor idea very much but I'll have to give that some more thought.
Favorite stock is McMillian HTG.
And thinking the low power 1-6 trijicon.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You might look at the Solo300 upper for an ar-15. It essentially turns an ar into a strait pull rifle and can be built very lightweight.

I have an upper from them that should be here tomorrow for a similar “modern” walk around rifle

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Mine is the mini 6 arc cut at 16.5” in a stockys stock. Handy even with the suppressor.

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I have a buddy who just put together a mini in a 6mm Arc. I want to try it out and see how it works out.

I have a 9” upper in 300. It works. I just like playing with bolt guns more. The challenge factor of doing it with a bolt is just fun for me.

The 110 Barnes is a heckuva bullet and I will be basing it around launching that.

The variations in the mini-Mauser actions and how they match up with the small 30’s is one of the main things I want to clear up for myself before committing to a course.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Mine is the mini 6 arc cut at 16.5” in a stockys stock. Handy even with the suppressor.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol that’s right!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
700AAC, B&C Ti, SWFA 1-4x, 16 1/2” barrel, DBM, .300BO. As soon as I blow through the rest of my black out ammo stash it’s going to be a 6x45 or possibly a 7TCU.

Last edited by jackmountain; 11/12/23.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by jackmountain
700AAC, B&C Ti, SWFA 1-4x, 16 1/2” barrel, DBM, .300BO. As soon as I blow through the rest of my black out ammo stash it’s going to be a 6x45 or possibly a 7TCU.

This rifle is pretty in line with what I am picturing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Originally Posted by jackmountain

This rifle is pretty in line with what I am picturing.

A T3X would be a good start, caliber of choice chopped to 16 1/2 and threaded. Plenty of bolt knob, DBM and stock options/mods to get it tuned in to your tastes quickly. It would be inherently accurate and reliable and if you hate it you could sell it to me for way less than you have in it?

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I would like to have the Mauser style extractor. That and an action made out of stainless. Not an easy combo to obtain. Also, the action being scaled down a bit more than the Tikka would be nice. Hard to get all those attributes in one.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What counts as a Mauser style action? Winchester 70? Kimber? Ruger? Are there any other controlled round feed actions you can get in stainless?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Kimber made the Adirondack in 300 BO with a 16” threaded barrel.

I’d think about finding a hunter and sending it to outkast arms for conversion to your specs - they are turning out some nice stuff.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Given your parameters:
Purchase Kimber Hunter in 308.
Employ gunsmith to rechambered to 30 BR, and shorten barrel to 16-17" and thread for suppressor.

I've played with BR dummy rounds in a Kimber Hunter; they fed and ejected fine due to the centerfeed magazine design.
Could also use this tactic for a 6.5 BR (starting with a 6.5 Creedmoor Hunter), or a 6mm BR (starting with a 243, though it would be 10 twist). Or could rebarrel to something fun....35 BR and use a pistol can?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would like to have the Mauser style extractor. That and an action made out of stainless. Not an easy combo to obtain. Also, the action being scaled down a bit more than the Tikka would be nice. Hard to get all those attributes in one.

Sounds like a Montana donor is your huckleberry, checks all your boxes.
Foolishly tripped the one with the suppressor, a 7-08AI, but will never sell the .223 next to it.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Are the 223 Kimbers scaled down to 223, or is it the same action as 308 sized cartridges?

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Kimber made the Adirondack in 300 BO with a 16” threaded barrel.

I’d think about finding a hunter and sending it to outkast arms for conversion to your specs - they are turning out some nice stuff.

This would be pretty close to what I’m after. I found one listed on another forum, but they are pretty draconian about allowing new users to interact with the classifieds.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Maybe look at the 8.6mm blackout? I lends itself to extremely short barrels, uber quiet with plenty of power for the range you want.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Are the 223 Kimbers scaled down to 223, or is it the same action as 308 sized cartridges?
The 223s and 300 Blackout Kimber 84Ms are the same size action as the 308s, but the Kimber 84M action is a petite little thing compared to say....a Remington 700, and fits those smaller cartridges quite well. Suspect an Adirondack in 300 Blackout would be just right for what you're looking for, hope you're able to snag one!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am always pondering over some potential project or another.
I am infected with the same bug.

I’m curious what thoughts are had about what I’ve come up with here or how others went to try to achieve the same goals.
I put together an 18" upper to shoot the .300 Ham'r, and I like it quite a bit, but it's a little long with my YHM R9 suppressor. I took it with me to TX for a pig hunt last year, and I really like how the .300 Ham'r put down hogs. Great little cartridge for the AR!

I also have a 10.5" SBR upper in .300 Blk, that's a lot handier, and I wouldn't mind getting an 11.3" Ham'r barrel for it, just because.

In a bolt gun, the Ruger American Ranch is an easy box to check. It's homely-looking, but mine (.300 Blk) is far more accurate than it deserves to be. A .300 Ham'r barrel can be had for the newer versions of the RAR that take AR mags, if a guy want to chase a little more speed with the lighter bullets.

If Howa still offered a Mini, chambered for .300 Blk, I would buy one in a second!

I really like the looks and handling of the Christensen Ridgeline Scout Rifle. I got to fondle one at a LGS, but I just can't bring myself to drop $2+k on one. For two grand, I think I can build something awfully close with one of the 700/.223s I have already.

Another thought would be a Christensen MPP. EuroOptics is blowing them out for a grand, in either the .223 or .300 Blk. A folding SB brace makes it a handy package, and it should be easy enough to turn into an SBR with a standard R700 stock. I just bought one in .223 Rem. It should be here next week, and I'm looking forward to messing with it.

Not sure on what suppressor that would be. Mind is completely open in that regard.
As far a suppressors go, I really like my YHM R9. I originally bought it for a threaded XDM, in 9mm, but it's far more versatile than just a pistol can. Besides the XDM, I've used it on an AR-9, 223, 300 Blk, 300 Ham'r, and 350 Legend. It's rated for 7.62 NATO, but I haven't put it on anything bigger than my 350L, yet. I like the R9 suppressor well enough, that I ordered a second one.

My thought on optics would likely lean towards one of the old Kahles 2-7’s.
I really like the Trijicon Credo HX. I have three of the 1-4x models that EuroOptic had on closeout, earlier this year. I bought 3 of them, and I wish I would have snagged a few more when they were $400.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm a big fan of the 9x39 Russian.

I also have an integrally suppressed 300 whatchamacallit but have only shot it once after finishing the 9x39.

The 9x39 just kinda skunks the blk all around, except where supersonics are concerned. Not many small 9.3mm mauser bullets around to load. But where subsonics are concerned, and reloading ease, the 9x39 skunks the blk. Easier to neck up the 7.62x39 brass. Don't have to trim and resize brass. Bigger bullet. More energy on target, better ballistics once they hit something (big heavy 308 isn't a very good expander unless you cast with wheel weights or using all copper pills).

Sounds better than my blk too despite virtually same length suppressors.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
The 8.6 built off an 84m could be really nice. I’m curious if there any nice bullets built for its velocity range. 110 Barnes and its performance are what is attractive about the 300 blackout. That bullet just works so well for the velocity window the 300 Bo gives you in an sbr.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The 8.6 built off an 84m could be really nice. I’m curious if there any nice bullets built for its velocity range. 110 Barnes and its performance are what is attractive about the 300 blackout. That bullet just works so well for the velocity window the 300 Bo gives you in an sbr.

Only way the 8.6 BO would be interesting to me is running subsonics. Really feel the same about the 300 even my boys are hunting one this year with the 110 barnes. But I would have much rather had a 6 arc or 6.5 Gren.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The AR-15 platform with a version of the collapsible stock, folder or telescoping. Sota Arms makes a free float knurled aluminum forearm. Plus SOTA also makes a .308 1-10 twist 7.62x39 chambered 16" barrel, threaded 5/8x24. The combination gives you in effect, a 30-30 with a box magazine, that runs 150s at 2,500 with 1680. The old 7.62x39 die sets come with a 30 cal sizer and expander ball, for the original Mini-30s which all had .308 barrels with 1-10 twist. I have two 30x39 ARs with collapsible stocks for riding 1 1/2 miles of fence two to three times a month. You can use the the 220-230 grain subs as well. I have a Form 1 can for use with them, the 358 can is very quiet on the 30 cal barrel. With a just an AR flash suppressor it is a 16" About 33% more energy over what the BO can ever be, and you can shoot 7.62x39 ammo in it if in a pinch. I also have a BO but rarely take it out any longer, as the 30x39 over shadows it with 150s

I also carry a 6mm Mongoose for longer distance. When and if I start seeing Coyote sign.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 35, 16 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,951
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.