Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
On our farm, I've been shooting coyotes and feral cats during the day with a 12ga and #4 buckshot and an AR with 50gr V-Max's, and at night using a spotlight and truck headlights with just the 12ga. With the 12ga, day or night, I've killed both out to around 100yds and mortally wounded a few 'yotes out to about 125yds. With the AR in 5.56/.223 in daylight, DRT out to 400+/- (if I do my part right), and mortally wounded a couple of 'yotes out to a little over 500yds. There are several places where I can take shots to well over 600 to 700yds, but about 550 to 600yds is about as far as I want to go, right now.

BUT, let me make this clear, this is NOT just sport, but necessity. The coyotes and feral cats have already destroyed our bobwhite population (haven't heard a quail whistle in over two years now), and are well on their way to totally wiping out our turkeys, and the coyotes have noticeably reduced the deer population. But I'm reluctant to try poisoning them for several reasons, and I am NOT a trapper (no aversion to it, just don't have the skills or equipment).

I badly need to up my game for night hunting the coyotes. Been reading here about thermals, rifles and such. Going to have to quit hunting at night out of our vehicles because they've gotten wise to them. I've got ARs in 5.56/.223, 6.5 Grendel, and 7.62x39. Got bolts in .22 Hornet, .223, .22-250, .243, .250-3000, 6.5 Gren, and up. The .22-250 is out because it's a Win Coyote Heavy Varmint - weighs 11+ lbs.

I want to get a thermal to mount on either the .243 or the AR 6.5 Gren (probably the Gren, and use the .243 with standard scope to extend my range during daylight). I'd like to be able to bust 'yotes at night to at least 300 yds, but I know not to believe most of the advertising hype. My budget for a thermal is around $2500. Are there any at that price point that: #1) are reliable and durable, and #2) are able to, in the real world, in field conditions, accurately resolve and enable hits on coyotes at 300 yds (or more)?

TIA

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I got a Thor 4 to put on my 24 Varmint upper, with a can. The can is not for suppression of nose but muzzle flash in the dark. The 24 Varmit is a necked down and blown out 6.8 SPC. Designed to shoot up to 6mm 105-110s in an AR-15 mag. You can check on the ATN site and the Mad Dog Weapons System site, the 6mm Mongoose is also one of their babies, uses LC 223 brass by design. I have both and the do shoot sub 1/2" at 100.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
always be sure to check local rules and regulations for night hunting, that being said, this is my opinion on the matter; Don't go out at night looking for 300yd shots. I have had very much success during daytime hunting in the past. I have recently been easing my way into night hunting with my thermal and believe I have learned enough to give you a little advice, I love my AGM rattler. I have it mounted on a Bergara sidekick pistol in 223 wild. The gun was expensive, but the optic was under $1200 and I am more than happy with it. I do not believe most people need to be taking shots past 100 yds at night. I believe walking has been my key to success in predator hunting. walking in and just keep walking and calling on Low volume. call for 10 minute stands, stop calling, stay seated/standing, wait at least 5 more minutes then move further in. the guys on YouTube that just start slinging lead at night out past 100yds just worry me. if you can be 100% sure that you are perfectly aligned with the area and that area is large enough, get after it I guess. I will say though, just a few weeks ago a very avid gun writer shot a mule deer during the day along with another hunter and between the two of them they Swiss cheesed this deer and still there is know clear evidence as to who actually should take the deer. look up Backfire on you tube, he covers this well. Now keep in mind that happened during the day. with a professional hunter as part of the mix. and the deer was wearing a collar! we should all be vary wary of night hunting and understand the responsibility we take on in doing so.

All that said I highly recommend the AGM rattler. They are awesome and I bought the cheapest one as it is also the lightest. you can detect far enough out to get ready for the shot and clearly id at 150. that all depends on conditions though, wind, temp, humidity, etc. All thermals suffer the same. when you are watching videos on you tube they are in perfect conditions for thermal imaging.

Thank The Lord for imr4064!
-I don't always run a hoe; but when I do I hit the pipe
Bergara sidekick .223 wylde
Bergara B14 ridge 6.5 creedmoor
Ruger 57
Dead air Sandman L
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
While a Thermal scope is great, a thermal monocular (to me) is a more critical part of the puzzle for hunting at night.
Spotting your prey is a lot easier and safer with a monocular than using your rifle scope double duty.
My recommendation is to save up a little more and get an AGM TM15-384 and an AGM Adder TS35-384.
The TM15-384 is the cheapest monocular with a nice field of view, big display and it can be helmet mounted.
My backup rig is topped with an AGM Adder TS35-384, has a 3x base mag for taking longer shot's and because it's a tube style scope, it can be mounted on AR's and bolt rifles without crazy high cheek risers.
I've used that combo for years of hard hunting in the mountains of NY without fail.
I would also get a call or hunt over bait piles and take shots as close as you can.
A thermal optic for shooting long range is going to run almost four times your pain threshold.

SJC

Last edited by shoots100; 11/11/23.

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
Y
Y
Agree 100% to get a thermal scanner first. As mentioned the AGM taipan in either 15-384 or 19-384 is a great entry level scanner or the iRay cabin 19. You will use the scanner 95% of the time if not more. If your budget cannot support both a thermal scanner and scope I recommend looking at a NV scope. They are easier to identify animals and priced much cheaper. Take a look at the newer Rix Tourer T20 NV at $600. With any NV, an upgraded IR light will make it way better.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Rattler is good along with Thor -4 just make sure its 384 or higher. When comes to thermals you get what you pay for, buy cheap get cheap and lacks in many areas. Forget about a spotter thermal and just get a Bogpod rifle rest and scan with scope so that way a coyote comes into view you on it and ready, spotter scope just one more thing to carry and get in the way.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you really want to put a dent in the coyote population, buy a couple dozen traps and learn how to use them. Those traps are hunting coyotes 24/7. I know you said you don’t have the expertise or equipment. Both are attainable.

On thermal, I’ve done some with a friend who has Pulsar monoculars and a rifle scope.they cost about $2000, and $5000 respectively. He started his thermal hunting with optics that cost substantially less, and said they were expensive junk.

Good luck on your coyote control.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Trapping cool but most states have a daily trap check which costs gas money, as you have to check them weather one in it or its empty. Then you also have to deal with weather, rain, snow, mud and freezing ground ect.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Forget about a spotter thermal and just get a Bogpod rifle rest and scan with scope so that way a coyote comes into view you on it and ready, spotter scope just one more thing to carry and get in the way.
Using a rifle on a tripod as a scanner gets real old real quick. When a guy has to scan a minimum of 180 degrees, it makes much more sense to have a scanner so that you can stand in one spot and rotate your body while standing still, instead of walking a half circle back and forth and back and forth until you spot a coyote. Heck, some of my spots, I have to scan dang near 360 degrees and I'm sure many others do too.
A guy spends 95% of his time on stand scanning. Makes much more sense to use a dedicated scan tool. They are light and really don't weigh much, so it's really a no-brainer to use them. Just have your rifle set up on a tri-pod, and once you spot a target, then simply get on the rifle until the shot.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Im guessing you never used a Bogpod? You can scan 360 with a scoped rifle no different than using a spotter. and if you call with a partner then less area you have to scan as other will cover the rest. Scanners are expensive as well. On a humid night you will see less with a cheap scanner so what did you gain. money better spent on having another thermal for another rifle.

IC B3

Y
Y
Originally Posted by TA 17 Rem
Im guessing you never used a Bogpod? You can scan 360 with a scoped rifle no different than using a spotter. and if you call with a partner then less area you have to scan as other will cover the rest. Scanners are expensive as well. On a humid night you will see less with a cheap scanner so what did you gain. money better spent on having another thermal for another rifle.

I personally have never scanned with my gun but have hunted with guys who have and after the first night out they were sick of it. I have a decent setup for tripod (rt90c with RRS leveling base) and I still would not want to scan with the rifle. It is also a lot of movement to use the gun walking potentially a circle around your tripod vs standing in a single position behind your tripod/gun and using a monocular. The only movement is my head/torso with the ability to see 360*.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For thermal I'm running an ATN scanner and scope. Are they incredible? No, but they work. Coyotes are worth little or nothing so I'm not spending 3 times the price. I do have a night vision scanner and scope. Bought a Sight Mark Wraith 4-32x 50 which is a fine piece of equipment. NV scanner is a Bushnell Equinox. It works, not well but I didn't pay retail for it. Using a Bogpod but not for scanning with the rifle. I'm usually watching at least 180 degrees and scanning with the rifle just doesn't work. Too much shuffling around to stay behind the scope when compared to a scanner.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Sure but when you scan with a rifle and a coyote shows up you already on it, vrs. the scramble of putting scanner down and then going to the rifle. And scanning with rifle on Bogpod not the big of a deal if you get out and hunt more than one night a month. If a guy can't rotate around 360 with a bogpod then a coyote probably heard, you walk in to begin with. LOL

Y
Y
If it works for you scanning with the gun that’s great but I’d rather save my back and limit movement. I hunt 1-2 times a week and have no issue transitioning from the scanner to the gun. Most scanners have less base mag and bigger fov, catch then coming in quicker and you can scan an area quicker. How often do you shoot a coyote within the first 5 seconds of detection? The time to transition won’t limit your chance at getting on the animal.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by yeahkkyle
If it works for you scanning with the gun that’s great but I’d rather save my back and limit movement. I hunt 1-2 times a week and have no issue transitioning from the scanner to the gun. Most scanners have less base mag and bigger fov, catch then coming in quicker and you can scan an area quicker. How often do you shoot a coyote within the first 5 seconds of detection? The time to transition won’t limit your chance at getting on the animal.
Exactly. My scanner is 4-8, kinda wish I had bought 3-6 or maybe even 2-4. I've had several "where the he$$ did you come from moments" but they still caught the lead.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Maybe this

Attached Images
241868.jpg (25.9 KB, 246 downloads)

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just remember to shout
"FREEZE GOPHER !"

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Maybe the physically challenged should use two scanners then just go home after you see one. I take it not many use a Bogpod either.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Maybe the physically challenged should use two scanners then just go home after you see one. I take it not many use a Bogpod either.
You know, I joined this site just a few days ago. But if this is the kind of rude, arrogant BS that goes on here, I probably don't need it after all. I'm betting nobody here really appreciates your slander, put downs and just plain crappy Bertha better than you attitude.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 17CalFan
You know, I joined this site just a few days ago. But if this is the kind of rude, arrogant BS that goes on here, I probably don't need it after all. I'm betting nobody here really appreciates your slander, put downs and just plain crappy Bertha better than you attitude.
Oh sorry if I hurt your feelings! Best get use to it happening to you as a coyote going to bust your ass most days and make you look foolish and then when you may think you got a handle on it one going to bust your ass again. Pick yourself up, knock off the dirt and go on or just lay there and kick the ground and cry about it. LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (10gaugemag, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,517
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.