-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My parish (Union) used Wisconsin deer transplants in the 1960's. My maternal grandfather was the local Postmaster and they brought a trailer of those deer by for him to look at. A few years later my uncle killed the biggest buck they'd ever seen in this area. I think he scored in the 180's as a typical. This was in 1965 when he was 16 years old.

Correction: He was a 172" typical and a 204" gross.

Last edited by JPro; 11/08/23.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jpro,

Do yall have an earlier rut compared to others?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by BrowningGuy88
I killed one here in LA this week that weighed 150 on the scales before gutting her.

By far the biggest I’d ever seen.

Here in northcentral LA I've seen a few at 135-145lbs. Big old horse heads on those. 150 is a whopper.

She was huge. I live in Ouachita Parish and killed her in Jackson Parish.

Last edited by BrowningGuy88; 11/08/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gristle
I saw a doe in Montana near the Canada border this summer that was bigger than any buck I have ever killed in Tn. She was easily over 200 on the hoof. Her two fawns were huge also.

That's where one would expect to see the biggest of the bigs – the Dakota strain of deer are just different. I've hunted Saskatchewan a few times and have little doubt some of the does I'd seen were near 190-200 lbs. on-the-hoof.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Scott......when are you headed to Kansas?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Gristle
I saw a doe in Montana near the Canada border this summer that was bigger than any buck I have ever killed in Tn. She was easily over 200 on the hoof. Her two fawns were huge also.

That's where one would expect to see the biggest of the bigs – the Dakota strain of deer are just different. I've hunted Saskatchewan a few times and have little doubt some of the does I'd seen were near 190-200 lbs. on-the-hoof.

We have an accurate 800-pound freight scale, and the heaviest field-dressed Montana WT doe we've ever weighed went 105--which is a big one, but it wasn't taken "up north," whether in Montana or the bordering Canadian provinces. Have seen does when hunting Alberta and Manitoba that I'm sure were around 200 live weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live in the UP. There are some huge mamas up here.

There is a giant doe on my property that we call Karen. She is going to the freezer this year. I would say she is 6+ and close to 200.

We should know within next few weeks.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i live in PA and i've shot several doe over the 150lbs average. of those big doe that i shot, it is around 175-185lbs. i killed a doe that was weighed at 221lbs field dressed.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by TheKid
My dad had the state deer check station at his convenience store for several years. I kept the books during evenings in high school so the gals didn’t have to deal with it. Biggest doe we ever checked was 124 dressed. Biggest I ever killed was 101 dressed and was the biggest on our books that year. Average here is around 85 dressed.

Checked one once that was 27lb dressed, smallest non spotted deer I ever saw. Guy got pissed when dad snickered at the scale and said, “it’ll be good eating”. Dad replied, “yeah for one meal”.
What State?

Oklahoma Mike.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by TX35W
I killed a doe in northern NY state with my bow that weighed 175lbs field dressed. Same deal, she was real heavy to drag so we decided to weigh her. But northern deer are definitely bigger anyway in general.

Yesterday my friend and I arrived in Northern New York (think Canadian border) to hunt for a while. I hunt his place in SC, and brought him up with me to see some big deer and meet people. He’s waking up to snow this morning.

Yesterday we arrived early enough to go out for an afternoon watch on the farm. One of the boys shot a doe that probably weighed 150+ field dressed. We didn’t put it on the scale, but have all put enough on scales over the years to have a good idea. We took John’s picture next to the doe hanging in the barn so he could show the guys back in SC. We have a picture of me with a SC doe, un gutted, holding it up at arms length for comparison.

Later, in the “club room” at the barn, my brother pointed to one of the groups of mounted heads on the wall and told John, “At least two of those bucks weighed over 195 field dressed.” There was a time we weighed big deer, but now seldom bother.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by RAS
I live in the UP. There are some huge mamas up here.

There is a giant doe on my property that we call Karen. She is going to the freezer this year. I would say she is 6+ and close to 200.

We should know within next few weeks.

Post pics of the weight if ya can. I'd love to finally see the mysterious 200 pound doe. (dressed wt). Same with the 200 pound wolf....don't post a pic of that tho. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tdoyka
i live in PA and i've shot several doe over the 150lbs average. of those big doe that i shot, it is around 175-185lbs. i killed a doe that was weighed at 221lbs field dressed.

Pics?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Jpro,

Do yall have an earlier rut compared to others?

We have a couple of ruts in north LA. While ours in the north central parishes (piney woods) is in the second half of November, the parishes in the NE corner have a run in December, even though they are only 90 minutes away in farm country (Miss river delta).

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Hey Scott......when are you headed to Kansas?

Two weeks from today.
Appears I'll be eating some tag sandwiches here in the north so hopefully I can break the spell there. And if not, the coyotes are going to catch hell. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I shot a doe early one morning in the middle of our state that weighed 142 lbs live weight. I thought she looked like a camel laid out on the ground. Our does generally run 90-100 for mature weights.

GreggH

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by tdoyka

Pics?

unfortunately, no. this was back in pre-internet days, when i got the 221lbs doe. you know, when the phone was connect to your house, i had a 35mm that i could have taken pictures with and then go to photo shop, hand the film to a guy/girl and a week later you have them, but i didn't bother too. i don't take pictures much. it has to be something exciting to take a picture of. i guess i'm old.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I killed one about 1980 in Fairview Tennessee that weighed 162 and I think I saw her twin at my place in Hillsboro Alabama last season. Not many big does where I hunt but you do see one every now and then . Plenty of big bucks to make up the difference.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (10gaugemag, 22250rem, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 72 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,450
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.