Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Dude270
Ted, I know you have had issues with that rifle but I still believe there is something going on with your particular barrel.

There are just too many guys, myself included, that have had great performance out of the 140 bergers and the 147 elds.

I wonder how your rifle would do with 139 scenars. They are definitely stout.

Good morning!

I have 400 of those 139 Lapuas ready to roll once I am done with the 120 or so 135 Berger classics I have left. I hunt way more than I shoot though so it may be a while.

FWIW, the 135s blew clean through a big bull caribou and a mid sized grizzly this year. One even took out the far shoulder on the caribou and kept on sailing.

We’re kind of getting into the weeds with this though and away from the OP.
Hey, diving into the bush, er weeds is completely fine.
This is a very interesting side topic and it’s got my attention.
I guess I should explain a little further. The primary use for this bullet is for long steel, such as the white buffalo at Whittington Center. The factory 147gr load worked better than the others I tried, and required much fewer mils dialed and less wind hold off.
So this is going to be primarily a target setup.

My primary hunting rifle is a Bergara Ridge in 450 Bushmaster due to where I live, but it’s always a good idea to be ready in cade I get the chance to hunt elsewhere.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Work up to around 41-41.5 gr of H4350 or IMR4451, and I’d be surprised if it didn’t shoot. The 147 is very seating-depth tolerant, but nearly always shoots extremely well 0.010” into the lands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
[Linked Image from cdn.vox-cdn.com]

Same rifle that I have had very bad experiences with 140 Berger Hunting VLDs and elk shoulders---though I have never had one blow up like that at the muzzle. The rifle however does fine with the 135 Berger Classics.
cut or button rifled barrel?

Lilja barrel, so I believe button rifled.
This situation has been hashed out on this forum before...and a conclusion never really came up. Burns' is the one who initially made me think it may be my particular barrel, and it may very well be. It is just odd that it shoots the 135 Berger Classic just fine, as well as a few other bullets like the 140 AMAX. The rifle had about 1000 rounds through it when I tried those 147s, so I am assuming any rough spots would have been lapped out.

I dunno...
It’s still a bit of a mystery, and I remember going back and forth with you about your particular barrel. With 1000 rounds on it, I’m still leaning toward a rough throat. Remind me, is it a 3-groove barrel?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
I’m very impressed with this Custom 6.5 Creed 147ELD-M from Hornady.
Now I want to develop a load using this bullet.
The powder locker has Varget, Rl-15,17,19,22 and 23
4350 in IMR, H, and XMR
4831 in IMR and H
Ramshot Hunter and probably a few more in there I forgot about.
What’s worked best for you in your Creedmoor?

I love that bullet in the creedmoor. I've seen it outperform the 140 ELD-match bullet many times in the wind. I'm running H4350, as it is very stable throughout different temps.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

To be honest, I've tried other powders with this bullet, but they all fall short, when compared to H4350. Also, I don't run the bullet into the lands. There is absolutely no need for it. I run the 147 at .020" off the lands and it works reliably. That is always key. It has to be reliable, function in the rifle 100% and be consistently accurate. The other day, I put this load into 3" at 1,000. So that is plenty good for what I do.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Originally Posted by ldholton
ELD-M I would not recommend as a hunting.... been there done that
IME, it performs great at Creedmoor speeds. I’ve taken a few elk and deer with the combo, and it has penetrated and killed well.

That has not been mine or several folks I hunt with experience at all. At least concerning the 147 6.5 bullet.

We have shot a bunch of deer with them out of 6.5 creedmoors. The only time I've kept one in a deer was by shoulder shooting a buck inside 200 yards with a 6.5 prc.
Agreed. Launching the 147 at ~2700 fps at a bunch of critters has resulted in about the same outcome for all, even when major bone was crushed along the wound channel. Moderate internal damage with ~1.25” exits is typical.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
[Linked Image from cdn.vox-cdn.com]

Same rifle that I have had very bad experiences with 140 Berger Hunting VLDs and elk shoulders---though I have never had one blow up like that at the muzzle. The rifle however does fine with the 135 Berger Classics.
cut or button rifled barrel?

Lilja barrel, so I believe button rifled.
This situation has been hashed out on this forum before...and a conclusion never really came up. Burns' is the one who initially made me think it may be my particular barrel, and it may very well be. It is just odd that it shoots the 135 Berger Classic just fine, as well as a few other bullets like the 140 AMAX. The rifle had about 1000 rounds through it when I tried those 147s, so I am assuming any rough spots would have been lapped out.

I dunno...
It’s still a bit of a mystery, and I remember going back and forth with you about your particular barrel. With 1000 rounds on it, I’m still leaning toward a rough throat. Remind me, is it a 3-groove barrel?

I am wanting to say 6 groove but can't recall. The rifle is at my place right now and I am back home at my Mom's place hunting so I can't check real quick.

I am pretty sure it is not a 3 groove though.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Work up to around 41-41.5 gr of H4350 or IMR4451, and I’d be surprised if it didn’t shoot. The 147 is very seating-depth tolerant, but nearly always shoots extremely well 0.010” into the lands.
That’s some good info Jordan, thanks.
I see bsa has a different experience, not unusual I expect. I believe .010” into the lands would be a good start. I can always back them off if it doesn’t work well

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I see bsa has a different experience, not unusual I expect. I believe .010” into the lands would be a good start. I can always back them off if it doesn’t work well

If sub 1" groups at 400 and 3" groups at 1,000 is "unusual", count me in. That bullet is not finicky about seating depth. Something you'll find out when loading them. Why start it out where you will have issues? "Into the lands" creates problems that I don't like to deal with, but then again I like reliable ammo. It has to be reliable, number one. Consistent accuracy/precision is number 2. That comes from my hunting background, but I sure as hell don't want to have issues out on the line, when I'm competing either. To each their own..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The factory 147gr load worked better than the others I tried, and required much fewer mils dialed and less wind hold off.

That's the 147's stupid high B/C for ya...some people say high B/C has no advantage with today's rangefinders and such but I disagree.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
IME, it performs great at Creedmoor speeds. I’ve taken a few elk and deer with the combo, and it has penetrated and killed well.

That has not been mine or several folks I hunt with experience at all. At least concerning the 147 6.5 bullet.

We have shot a bunch of deer with them out of 6.5 creedmoors. The only time I've kept one in a deer was by shoulder shooting a buck inside 200 yards with a 6.5 prc.
Agreed. Launching the 147 at ~2700 fps at a bunch of critters has resulted in about the same outcome for all, even when major bone was crushed along the wound channel. Moderate internal damage with ~1.25” exits is typical.
my case 6.5 grendel 123eldm ,2400 fps whitetail 75 yard , entry hole much bigger then exit , lot of jacket /lead pieces around exit hole ... yeap dead dear but not the kind of wound I like to see.

I was gonna take my 22-250 8 twist later with 88gr eldm's but not now as fast as it shoots ..

Last edited by ldholton; 11/13/23.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

my case 6.5 grendel 123eldm ,2400 fps whitetail 75 yard , entry hole much bigger then exit , lot of jacket /lead pieces around exit hole ... yeap dead dear but not the kind of wound I like to see.

I was gonna take my 22-250 8 twist later with 88gr eldm's but not now as fast as it shoots ..

Out of curiosity, where was the impact on the deer? Internal damage? Distance traveled?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LSU fan

Out of curiosity, where was the impact on the deer? Internal damage? Distance traveled?
was shot at about 75 yards. traveled maybe 10 or 15 yards. the lungs were definitely screwed like I said yes that deer but it's not the kind of wound channel that I like to see. what I seen was a bullet that's pretty fragmental upon impact if that had been in a higher speed cartridge I believe the bullet may have completely blew up shallow of the vitals..

everybody's Free to hunt with what they want that's my opinion..

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

was shot at about 75 yards. traveled maybe 10 or 15 yards. the lungs were definitely screwed like I said yes that deer but it's not the kind of wound channel that I like to see. what I seen was a bullet that's pretty fragmental upon impact if that had been in a higher speed cartridge I believe the bullet may have completely blew up shallow of the vitals..

So I’m assuming ribs were the only bone hit? No shoulders?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

So I’m assuming ribs were the only bone hit? No shoulders?
yes ribs only

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

If sub 1" groups at 400 and 3" groups at 1,000 is "unusual", count me in. That bullet is not finicky about seating depth. Something you'll find out when loading them. Why start it out where you will have issues? "Into the lands" creates problems that I don't like to deal with, but then again I like reliable ammo. It has to be reliable, number one. Consistent accuracy/precision is number 2. That comes from my hunting background, but I sure as hell don't want to have issues out on the line, when I'm competing either. To each their own..
I've never seen 0.010" into the lands create problems. A real "jam," in which the bullet engages the rifling hard enough to seat the bullet deeper or pull it out upon extraction, is typically far more than 0.010".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe .010” into the lands would be a good start. I can always back them off if it doesn’t work well
Indeed. That's typically my approach, too. Start 0.010" into the lands, and go deeper (thereby decreasing pressure) from there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The factory 147gr load worked better than the others I tried, and required much fewer mils dialed and less wind hold off.

That's the 147's stupid high B/C for ya...some people say high B/C has no advantage with today's rangefinders and such but I disagree.
+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not all bullets, even within the same product line, have identical terminal performance. I can't speak to the 123 ELD-M, but the 147 works awesome when launched at ~2700 fps.

I don't have as large of a data set with the 7mm 180 ELD-M launched at 2950 fps, but it has also performed excellent (moderate wound channel, deep penetration, ~1.5" exit).

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

I wouldn't be afraid of the 88.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have good performance using RL16 out of a 6.5CM with 20” barrel. With 41.8gr of RL16, it starts out in the 2650 fps range. I’m limited to 2.8” because of magazine and it’s a standard chamber, so it’s seated no where near the lands. Bare rifle weight is 5.1 lbs. With a VX-ll 2-7 it’s 6 lbs and with a LRHS 3-12 it’s 7 lbs.
It’s worked so far on WT, MD, wolf, Stone sheep and Caribou bulls. This is the accuracy I get with the combo.

https://imgur.com/a/cyjM9mw

I should have added the longest kills were about 410 yds on one caribou and about 390 yds on a Stone sheep. Everything else has been 12 yds to about 150 yds.

Last edited by mod7rem; 11/13/23.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.