-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one in 6.5 CM. It was ok but not accurate enough to keep for what it cost. I understand Christensen has been bought my a new owner who is dedicated to fixing the company’s issues.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This thread mirrors what I’ve seen and been told about the CA’s—bit of a roll of the dice. Some are solid, some have problems, particularly the carbon wrapped bbls.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I had one in 6.5 CM. It was ok but not accurate enough to keep for what it cost. I understand Christensen has been bought my a new owner who is dedicated to fixing the company’s issues.

Swamp,
So the Christensen family no longer owns the company? Do you know when this occurred?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The sale of the company is news to me too.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I looked at buying one and was told there was nearly a year backlog. Then i found out they wanted another $250 for a left hand version. Deal breaker for me.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bwinters
Anyone have a Mesa or offer comments?

I wouldn't recommend one. I've had two, 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC, and both were intermittently incompatible with the Hornady 147 grain factory ammo blowing primers on a fairly regular basis. I had the same issue with a 6.5 PRC in the Ridgeline Ti. I also had a regular Ridgeline in both cartridges. Neither blew primers with the same boxes of factory ammo but neither was reliably better than about a 1.75 MOA rifle either.

I think some of that is ammo .. bullets specifically. I did some seating depth testing and came out with different lengths .. considerably different .. among different boxes of the 147 grain ELD match bullets, and all different than the factory ammo. The factory ammo seemed to have a more "bulging ogive" if that makes sense, and that made contact with the rifling prematurely. If it had only been factory vs component bullets needing different lengths, I'd have just shot component bullets and not worried about it but with different boxes of nominally identical component bullets requiring different seating depth, it just didn't float my boat.

So .. I wouldn't recommend either Christensen rifles or 6.5 CM or 6.5 PRC to anyone right now. Too much seems wrong in unpredictable combinations. That said, I do have a brand new Ridgeline in .300 Win Mag. New Lapua cases don't really want to chamber, takes a good bit of force to close the bolt. It may be the extractor, not the chamber. We'll see. If this does not work it will be my final try with Christensen. I'm about $12000 into them and the only Christensen shooter I have is a .22 LR Ranger.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It might be the effort to compress the dual ejectors.

Can’t figure out why Christensen thought dual ejectors were necessary—M700’s eject just fine with one plunger. An extra layer of complexity……

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I've had my 6.5 cm Mesa for a couple of years now. Have killed a couple of mule deer with it.
Don't have any complaints. Still shooting factory ammo out of it with plenty of accuracy to do what it's intended to do.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I’m shooting a Mesa FFT 6mm Creedmore and a 280 Ackley. They are a lot of rifle for the money. The 6mm is in the running to be the most accurate rifle I own. I also have a Ridgeline 6.5 PRC that has been trouble free, but I’ve never shot factory ammo in it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am NOT a Christensen Guy,but my 7-08 Mesa is Skookum. Ergo's/balance/handling is great,the added COAL is nice and it's a fhuqking hammer with 162's. Thinking I'll pop the SWFA 3-9x in Swiffer rings and Burris Extreme bases off it and go Reupold Backcountry with a NightFarce NX8 1-8x FFP DM-X Lit Bitch. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Mine is a LH 6.3 CM. Factory Hornady ELD-x 143 grain shoot very well thru this rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by bwinters
Anyone have a Mesa or offer comments?

I wouldn't recommend one. I've had two, 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC, and both were intermittently incompatible with the Hornady 147 grain factory ammo blowing primers on a fairly regular basis. I had the same issue with a 6.5 PRC in the Ridgeline Ti. I also had a regular Ridgeline in both cartridges. Neither blew primers with the same boxes of factory ammo but neither was reliably better than about a 1.75 MOA rifle either.

I think some of that is ammo .. bullets specifically. I did some seating depth testing and came out with different lengths .. considerably different .. among different boxes of the 147 grain ELD match bullets, and all different than the factory ammo. The factory ammo seemed to have a more "bulging ogive" if that makes sense, and that made contact with the rifling prematurely. If it had only been factory vs component bullets needing different lengths, I'd have just shot component bullets and not worried about it but with different boxes of nominally identical component bullets requiring different seating depth, it just didn't float my boat.

So .. I wouldn't recommend either Christensen rifles or 6.5 CM or 6.5 PRC to anyone right now. Too much seems wrong in unpredictable combinations. That said, I do have a brand new Ridgeline in .300 Win Mag. New Lapua cases don't really want to chamber, takes a good bit of force to close the bolt. It may be the extractor, not the chamber. We'll see. If this does not work it will be my final try with Christensen. I'm about $12000 into them and the only Christensen shooter I have is a .22 LR Ranger.

I have both of those. The PRC had to go back to the factory for ejection issues. Turn around was quick. It's more accurate than I am. The Creed has had no issues at all and is shoots pretty well in the limited testing I have done with it.

CA unquestionably has QC issues.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 45 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,133
Posts18,483,919
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.