Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SteveO
I put together a .300 WSM Classic with a Bansner Sheephunter stock and Gentry rings and it was 7lb 4oz with a 3.5-10 VX-3

That's almost an unbelievable weight for a Classic model 70. That's Tikka territory.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Technoman26
I have one that was built by Larry Racine (LPR Gunsmithing) for me. It is 100% built from Winchester parts. The stock was an eBay find. The barrel was a new take-off from a PF Featherweight Larry had in the shop for years. The action came from a gentleman here on the campfire. Larry trued the action, screwed on (and milled the barrel to ensure the timing was correct for the roll mark), re-chambered, adjusted the factory trigger, and glass bedded into the stock. It's light, handles and balances well, and shoots as good as it looks. So I suppose it's no longer a factory Lightweight, but it's a darn nice rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rob

Boy, I could get along with that rifle pretty well.

Not for sale or trade grin laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I have one that was built by Larry Racine (LPR Gunsmithing) for me. It is 100% built from Winchester parts. The stock was an eBay find. The barrel was a new take-off from a PF Featherweight Larry had in the shop for years. The action came from a gentleman here on the campfire. Larry trued the action, screwed on (and milled the barrel to ensure the timing was correct for the roll mark), re-chambered, adjusted the factory trigger, and glass bedded into the stock. It's light, handles and balances well, and shoots as good as it looks. So I suppose it's no longer a factory Lightweight, but it's a darn nice rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rob

Boy, I could get along with that rifle pretty well.

Not for sale or trade grin laugh

I'll bet it shoots damn well. You can tell that your smith knows what he's doing. I know that's a dumb thing to say, but it puts out a great vibe. Great looking rifle.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Got my rifle back, little bit disappointed with the barrel fluting weight reduction. It did lose about 5 ounces off at cost of roughly $100 per ounce after the milling and cerakoting costs. Finished weight is 6 pounds 15.4 ounces, barrel is still 26 inches long. Should be right at 8 pounds with Talley lightweights and a 3-15 Swaro Sheephunter scope.

Could bring it down by 2 more ounces if I mill the receiver to H&H standard but not worth the cost to me right now. The balance is perfect, center of mass is exactly at the joint of the barrel to the receiver.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Got my rifle back, little bit disappointed with the barrel fluting weight reduction. It did lose about 5 ounces off at cost of roughly $100 per ounce after the milling and cerakoting costs. Finished weight is 6 pounds 15.4 ounces, barrel is still 26 inches long. Should be right at 8 pounds with Talley lightweights and a 3-15 Swaro Sheephunter scope.

Could bring it down by 2 more ounces if I mill the receiver to H&H standard but not worth the cost to me right now. The balance is perfect, center of mass is exactly at the joint of the barrel to the receiver.

Are you still talking about your 330 Dakota? I don't know why you did not cut the barrel down to 23-24" before fluting and cerakote. That would have shaved a few more oz's off. I'm also not sure where you found that you only get a 2oz reduction in weight by going with an H&H receiver. I'd wager on that one, that it is more of a weight reduction than 2 oz's. There are also more things to consider than just the material that is milled out of the H&H. Your scope base is also smaller on the rear, which also reduces some weight. Along with the mag box not having a spacer in it. Plus more material removed from the stock. All nit picks, but if you are chasing lightweight, it helps.

Here's a little excerpt from a guy that has some experience with Dakota rifles and pre 64's. He compares the Dakota to the WM:

Originally Posted by kutenay
My partner and I were shooting our Dakota rifles last year, using 250 NPs from the same box and loaded to top/safe pressures. His rifle had a Kreiger barrel, installed by this gunsmith who lives in smalltown B.C., a certain Adolph Hagn, who may know what he is doing; mine had the original Shilen barrel and was an inch shorter than my buds.

In actual chronographing, there was less than 100 fps. "improvement" over the Win. by the Dakota, allowing for the 1" longer bbl. This, IMO, is not really important in the kind of hunting that these cartridges were intended for.

In 38 years of shooting the .338 Win., I have owned and used 12 different rifles so chambered, both pushfeeds and CRF as well as a No.1, I have five now. I have NEVER had a problem with the belted case and my rifles feed flawlessly. The Dakota case is larger in diameter and does not feed any better in a
Dakota 76 action than the belted case does; this is from actually owning and using the rifles for some 12 years.

I am always sceptical about references to "experts" and prefer to check things out myself; I do not think that re-chambering a rifle from .338 Win. to .330 Dak. is worth it and agree that it gives a "paltry" improvement while costing far more in components....BUT, if you just wanna .330, what the hell, it's all in fun, anyway!

Dewey hasn't posted here in a while, but he usually knew his chit. As it is, your rifle is no lighter than the 338wm pre 64 that I posted before, yet your rifle is lucky to hold 3 in the box, where the H&H pre 64 built 338wm holds 4 down, feeds those belted cases slicker than snot, balances perfectly and handles like an extension of my arm.. All stuff I value in a rifle.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991

To me that sounds like a great weight for the caliber. I like 26" barrels in magnums. They're quieter and usually there is some free velocity there. Chopping the front of the barrel usually saves 1 oz per inch cut, max. Sometimes less.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BSA, Yes, this is my 330 Dakota. The 2 ounce number comes from the folks at pre64win.com weighing two bare receivers side by side. If you think I'm mistaken, feel free to correct these numbers with your own data but this is what I found. The weight of the H&H is 1lb, 2.5 oz and the weight of the Standard is 1 lb, 4 oz. So not even 2 ounces in reality. I wish it were more, so please do double check my assumptions! I haven't weighed them in person, just requested the data from Pre64win and that's what Bethany responded with.

As to the 330 Dakota vs 338 Win Mag velocity question, the Dakota holds 85 grains of water with a 250 grain bullet installed, the Win will hold 73. 16% more powder typically equates to 4% more velocity from my observations which would be roughly 150 FPS in a 250 grain bullet load. I don't mind the 26 inch barrel, it probably adds 50-80 FPS and weighs about 1 ounce per inch so not a huge deal to me. It also reduces muzzle flash and boom by having full length.

Your observation of number of round count capacity is accurate and a noted downside to this rifle. If I were starting over, it would be chambered in 340 Weatherby, milled out to an H&H length receiver, and have a hinged floorplate. It would be lighter, carry more rounds, higher velocity, easier to find ammo. But I'm happy with it for now. If it fails to kill the next thing I shoot with it or feels too heavy on a hike then maybe I'll start over.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mm-08 Synthetic Matte Carbine

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I put together a .300 WSM Classic with a Bansner Sheephunter stock and Gentry rings and it was 7lb 4oz with a 3.5-10 VX-3

That's almost an unbelievable weight for a Classic model 70. That's Tikka territory.

It's actually rather simple to do. I've done it a couple times. Some years back, this was my recipie:

2001 production SS M70.

McMillan Hunters Edge.

Barrel shortened to 23"... I find it the right compromise. It feels perfectly balanced in the Edge stock (slightly muzzle heavy). Also, the Hunters Edge has a very short forearm and visually a 24" barrel looks too long in that stock to my eyes. Save 3/4 ounce cutting it.

Tubbs Firing pin installed. Save another ounce.

PT&G Bottom Metal. 2 1/2 ounces... saves a LOT of weight over the all-steel factory stuff, or even the one-piece aluminum/steel unit.

Talley X-Low mounts.

6x36LR... 9.5 ounces and as KISS a scope as there is.

With 3 rounds and Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling it goes 7lb's 9oz's all-up.

Nowadays, I'd put it in a Bansner. Fluting will knock a few ounces off too.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Brad
Thanks for posting that blueprint of a light weight M70 build.

Hal

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It's actually rather simple to do. I've done it a couple times. Some years back, this was my recipie:

2001 production SS M70.

McMillan Hunters Edge.

Barrel shortened to 23"... I find it the right compromise. It feels perfectly balanced in the Edge stock (slightly muzzle heavy). Also, the Hunters Edge has a very short forearm and visually a 24" barrel looks too long in that stock to my eyes. Save 3/4 ounce cutting it.

Tubbs Firing pin installed. Save another ounce.

PT&G Bottom Metal. 2 1/2 ounces... saves a LOT of weight over the all-steel factory stuff, or even the one-piece aluminum/steel unit.

Talley X-Low mounts.

6x36LR... 9.5 ounces and as KISS a scope as there is.

With 3 rounds and Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling it goes 7lb's 9oz's all-up.

Nowadays, I'd put it in a Bansner. Fluting will knock a few ounces off too.

Boy, I like that build. A guy could hunt that pretty hard and never want much more.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 300 WSM is a really great, all-arounder.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 16penny, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.