Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul;
Good morning from the still dark south Okanagan, I hope you're all well out east.

Thanks again for the wonderful food photos, while I don't always comment, I very much do always enjoy them.

As you all know, one of the things I can get quite enthusiastic about is encouraging folks to connect with their primary food producers and by extension to participate in food prep and cooking. I've come to believe it's much more important for us humans - culturally, personally and might I say spiritually - than we might have previously thought.

Have been doing some reading and listening on the subject as I'm wont to do and communal food prep and feasting is important, we just don't know yet how important - that's still under discussion.

Anyways sir, your photos are living proof of it and are a wonderful encouragement to others as well.

Happy American Thanksgiving from the slightly cooler blackness of south central BC my cyber friend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Howdy Cowpoke !!

grin

Couldn't agree more !

It goes completely against todays "instant gratification" want !

Which we believe is 1 of the major keys to our current social decline.

While we (Deb & I + 2 kids & their partners) love cooking in general, we truly respect the "natural resources" we take for our table.

Never a happier time at the house, than when their are 6 of us in the kitchen & then at the table, even if there are 7 dogs, at our feet !

People often comment on our food & why we are not 300lbs a piece.

It's simply, about what we & how we eat & the time/love spent (together) in the preparation.

Virtually no processed / package / convenience meals.

Thanks for your thoughtful, "challenging" reply.

Always appreciated !

Best to you & the girls.

** I'll add, that when we do buy protein, we've virtually stopped procuring it from the grocery store.

We buy either directly from local producers, or the farmers Co-op. 2 whole lambs, 1 pig & beef & chicken, as needed !

Last edited by New_2_99s; 11/24/23. Reason: ** to add

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul;
Thank you for your thoughtful reply sir.

As I believe you know about me, I'm a Creationist in my personal beliefs, but as an extension believe in an "old earth" version, so by further extension believe there's a fair bit of genetic information way down deep inside all of us human beasts.

The fact that we have a "fire channel" on cable so people on the 43rd floor of a Tokyo high rise can be comforted by watching it would be one example I'd give.

Almost no one, regardless of their upbringing and experience up to that point, does not enjoy a real campfire.

We heat with wood and I've lost count of the times folks will come here in winter and just stare at the window of the wood stove, seemingly mesmerized by the flames.

My gut feel is there's something way, way down that gets satisfied by it Paul.

Similarly I believe that communal hunting, foraging, gardening, food prep and then the consumption/feast that follows is even more way, way down inside us.

There was a study in Spain done years ago regarding the cultural and social benefit of family sit down meals, which I can't find at this time on this ancient Google Notebook thing I'm on, but anyways the results were quite shocking to me initially, but made sense.

The short version, as I recall it, was that people who had at least one sit down meal as a family when growing up had substantially less proclivity for violent criminal activity later on in life.

Anyways sir, as usual I've gone on too much about it, but I do very much appreciate what you're all doing and wanted to attempt to articulate why I do.

Best to you all this weekend Paul.

Dwayne

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Yeah, everybody loves a good fire !!

You are right, it's a deep seated "throw back" & truly part of human nature !

Similarly I believe that communal hunting, foraging, gardening, food prep and then the consumption/feast that follows is even more way, way down inside us.

To me, this goes to respect. Respect for the foraging/foragers & harvesting/harvesters, respect for & of, the preparation, respect for the family / friends / others sharing a meal & direct human contact / communication.

There was a study in Spain done years ago regarding the cultural and social benefit of family sit down meals, which I can't find at this time on this ancient Google Notebook thing I'm on, but anyways the results were quite shocking to me initially, but made sense.

The short version, as I recall it, was that people who had at least one sit down meal as a family when growing up had substantially less proclivity for violent criminal activity later on in life.

Only input I can have here, is that again, the above RESPECT, makes for more "rounded / grounded" personalities, not the greed/ME first, trait often associated with violence or crime.

Anyways sir, as usual I've gone on too much about it, but I do very much appreciate what you're all doing and wanted to attempt to articulate why I do.

Best to you all this weekend Paul.

You too, Mate !

Dwayne

Last edited by New_2_99s; 11/24/23.

Paul.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul;
Thanks again for the reply sir, I very much enjoy your input.

You might could have some Teutonic heritage running in your veins what with all your emphasis on respect? wink grin

In our family, it was understood and reinforced constantly that our behavior, actions and work ethic would be such that it would both be respectful of others and generate other's respect for us.

Was a huge deal in my upbringing.

While I'm speculating here, it strikes me that in a hunter gatherer sort of situation where we're all sitting around the cave entrance roasting mammoth bones, if our actions aren't respected by the rest of the clan, our days as part of said clan are likely to be fairly brief.

Anyways, I like your take on the respect angle, in particular how you've explained it. Well said sir.

Thanks again, I'd better hit the road here pretty quick so all the best until next time.

Dwayne

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In our family, it was understood and reinforced constantly that our behavior, actions and work ethic would be such that it would both be respectful of others and generate other's respect for us.

Was a huge deal in my upbringing.

While I'm speculating here, it strikes me that in a hunter gatherer sort of situation where we're all sitting around the cave entrance roasting mammoth bones, if our actions aren't respected by the rest of the clan, our days as part of said clan are likely to be fairly brief.

Dwayne

Perzactly !!!!

Safe travels, my friend.

wink

Paul.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As a fellow who eats nothing but venison for my meat all year, I appreciate the pics. You’re giving me great ideas. Congrats on a full freezer, the real trophy!

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Haven't had a good pastie/hand pie, in many years !!

Very common in Australia, seems not so much here ?

Will have to remedy that.

Pasties are a big deal in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In the fall there are signs running the length of the of the UP and places seem to sell them ever 1/4 of a mile. It’s the only time I’ve had one and it was very good.

Micky

“Lighten up Francis”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Many cultures ate what are called pasties, but the most famous, at least among nations with a British geritage, were Cornish pasties. Cornwall, in the SW part of England, was credited with creating them. They were either cooked and kept in the pickets of tin miners, or cooked on site at work.

They are good hot or cold.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Had the kids & partners, over for Sunday supper;

grin

Paul.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dang that sure makes me hungry..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Paul;
Good morning from the still dark south Okanagan, I hope you're all well out east.

Thanks again for the wonderful food photos, while I don't always comment, I very much do always enjoy them.

As you all know, one of the things I can get quite enthusiastic about is encouraging folks to connect with their primary food producers and by extension to participate in food prep and cooking. I've come to believe it's much more important for us humans - culturally, personally and might I say spiritually - than we might have previously thought.

Have been doing some reading and listening on the subject as I'm wont to do and communal food prep and feasting is important, we just don't know yet how important - that's still under discussion.

Anyways sir, your photos are living proof of it and are a wonderful encouragement to others as well.

Happy American Thanksgiving from the slightly cooler blackness of south central BC my cyber friend.

Dwayne

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
new 2 9s.fabulous photos,fabulous cuisine obviously prepped and cooked by gifted people.in it looks to be a nice peaceful area.you are the type i could have for a neighbor and friend anytime.the pickings get slimmer by the day.good health to you and yours and good hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you, that's quite the compliment !

We are blessed, to live where & as we do.

80 acres, off the back deck;

Grow veges every season, honey from home too;

5 minutes to the boat launch;

Obviously, hunt from home too !

Best to You & Yours, too !!

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Perfect little nuggets of tender, tasty goodness !!!!!!!!

grin

Paul.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you make your own sausage 99?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Tube steaks ? NO

Burger, yes !

I freeze the chunked meat & generally grind in mid January, when it's to cold, to ice fish !

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Paul.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was thinking of selling my meat band saw and getting a quality grinder for burger. I usually take mine into the man for grinding as its cheap, but my son just uses a small hand grinder as needed.

When I take my trim in for sausage or burger I only take 30lb in at a time, because the lean game of any species I have here lasts for a long time in my freezer on its own.

In 45+ years of hunting I have only had 3 sausage makers, the good ones retire or die, kicked several to the curb, we have a Hungarian fellow now, he is exellent.

I would get the grinder for convenience, looks like you have a good one.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, it's an old warhouse, just like us !!

Paul.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (257 mag, 35, badwolf, BDR1, beefan, 8 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,057
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.