Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I will be taking a Pulsar Axiom XQ35 thermal out in the morning to test out for locating the tree rats.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
The thermal worked very well I was able to locate three squirrels well before it was even light enough to shoot, I was able to close the distance on 2 of them and kept track of them until it was light enough and then shoot both of them.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the same optic and really have never thought about using it for spotting squirrels but I have noticed how easy it is to pick up rats and mice at night while looking for hogs. Makes sense!

Now with even more aplomb
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I was amazed at how far thru the thick brush it was picking them up. It is helpful in just giving you a direction to start moving in, the squirrels were kind of just sitting around scratching and doing squirrel stuff before daylight but not really moving. I might make a recording the next time out.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

I started using an AGM Rattler and was pleasantly surprised how well I could pick up a stronger heat signal when looking up into the trees. I set mine to jungle mode with white hot/red. You have to still have open air between you and critter but you can see bits and pieces of them and then move to scope or bino’s. When I find one it reminds me of the old predator movie when the squirrel starts sneaking along. I hunt behind treeing feist so finding that hidden squirrel among leaves is still very difficult. Looking forward to winter. I think the thermal will be even more valuable.

DR
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I hunted coons last night. Whenever a dog treed the other guy would use a hand held thermal scanner to determine where the coon was. We'd light them up and shoot them with a normal riflescope. Sometimes he wouldn't find a coon with the scanner and we'd just pull the dog off the tree and make him run. It sure did save time as we were able to move on faster than if we stood around shining lights looking for the coon.

Medics bury their mistakes..
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thermal is a game changer. Nothing whose body temp is above ambient temp can hide.

I've several pair of good binocs, and most of my glassing is 200 yds and under. I've almost quit using them. I've done several tests where in the early morning I will scan with the binocs, and see nothing, then scan with a thermal unit and things just pop. I'll make note of the location and try again with the binocs. No comparison.

We stand hunt, I used to get to the stand an hour and a half before daylight and sleep till shooting light. Now I do not sleep near as much. Now I spend that time scanning with the thermal unit.

One more thing I noticed with thermal while looking directly to the west when the sun is setting. With the naked eye or binocs the sun flares and blinds you. With thermal you can look directly west and see anything within your field of view as you are measuring the heat signature.

Ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't look in the west at the sun.

You'll burn the sensor out.

Probably a warning in the owners manual about it.

FWIW, I have a little handheld thermal by armasight, being sold by covert optics that does well spotting just about anything that has heat above ambient temperature.

It doesn't record, but I was able to try to hold the thermal and my cell phone towards the screen last weekend to show one of my buddies that it would pick up small animals too because he wasn't sure how well it would work for that.

Obviously, the lines you can see on my cellphone is the refresh rate. You can't see those with the naked eye.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (219 Wasp, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 68 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,225
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.