Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Last spring, when I purchased my hunting and fishing licenses for the 23 - 24 seasons, I didn't look into deer tags at all. Figured I'd do that when the time came. Don't think about does either while bow hunting, just too much impressive buck sign on my property! Well... looked into it yesterday for the upcoming firearms season that opens this Saturday. Seems WI wants a lot of dead does, at least in my area of SW Door Co! Along with my archery and firearms buck tag, there's 8 antlerless tags available, for free! Not sayin I'll shoot that many deer, not even close, but just the fact that 8 doe tags are available for free really tells me about the deer density around me there. I know there's a lot of deer, just need to drive around at sunset to confirm that, but still! Anyway, have the 722, in 300 Savage, all warmed up and ready to go and good luck to all headed out in the Badger state this Saturday. Be safe and enjoy!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
First I've heard of it. laugh

Truck will be headed north 0730 tomorrow morning. We have 2 blinds we have to put up because some dick-head stole my buddy's and his son's blind. That's not going to dampen our spirits though. We're ready to rock.

Not much for antlerless tags in our area of NW WI but I do have one. I think there was only like 500 to lottery. I don't really plan on taking one but ya never know. So, I snagged one. Plenty of buck sign, but I don't really thing there are a lot of deer.

Last edited by tzone; 11/16/23.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dean, give me a holler if you need help dragging. smile

Good luck to ya!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does this mean roundoak has his orange clothing hanging on the front porch? whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Does this mean roundoak has his orange clothing hanging on the front porch? whistle

He's freshening up his boots in cow pies at this very moment.

WWP53D
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Lol! Could be! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Maybe rolling in them too! Lol!

Thanks Scott! I'll be on the 40 by myself, if you want some different woods to look at, give me a holler.

NRA life member

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
There's a lot of orange hanging, no doubt! You boys stay safe. Aim small-miss small.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good luck to all.

Lots of deer in southwest WI, I received 3 free doe tags with license.

Also increasing numbers of bobcats and more sightings of cougar including one killed by a bowhunter a few days ago.
Will make napping in the blind a bit more exciting.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...in-buffalo-county-wisconsin/71594394007/

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Door County is a sleeper for big bucks because there is lots of private property over there or deep pocketed IL noisers over that way that won't let you get near their property. My buddy owned a bar over that way once and even he couldn't get an in to hunt there. Not only that, but Door County is part of the Niagara Escarpment with limestone soil that grows big buck antlers way better than the bucks up north or the central sand counties. Too much snow up north last winter to think that we'll see much up that way this year. And yes on the SW WI. for big bucks. My two stepsons both scored mountable bucks (again) already this year with their crossbows.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

He's freshening up his boots in cow pies at this very moment.
HAHA! Yes to this exchange! laugh

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
..., have the 722, in 300 Savage, all warmed up and ready to go...

I already knew I liked your taste in rifles, but this confirms it.

Good luck to you!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Scott! I'll be on the 40 by myself, if you want some different woods to look at, give me a holler.

That's mighty kind – I'll drop ya a line, I can run up for a visit if nothing else.

WWP53D
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks FC! And congrats to you again on your outing!

NRA life member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
Door County is a sleeper for big bucks because there is lots of private property over there or deep pocketed IL noisers over that way that won't let you get near their property. My buddy owned a bar over that way once and even he couldn't get an in to hunt there.

I'm not sure I agree with you there. I've had nearly 100% success in getting permission to chase coyotes at night up that way. And more than once have been offered access to deer hunt because of it (I didn't even inquire - never do). Tis all in the approach.

BTW - Dean is one of those deep-pocketed fellers from IL you're referring to above, so tread lightly. whistle

WWP53D
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
As deep pocketed as a retired construction worker can be! Lol!

NRA life member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunted for years up by Iron River Wi. Sure miss those times

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes Scott, but you are probably nicer than my buddy was. Well, there goes my invite too! "Out of my way Cheesehead, we're here for recreation" seems to be a common theme over that way. We have some of those IL. folks that built next door to the cottage and they brought their Chicago attitude with them. They have managed to alienate everyone within miles. Enough of this, I'm getting packed and going hunting. Good luck to you all, even the 'Noisers.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

By yourself ya say? laugh laugh

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
Yes Scott, but you are probably nicer than my buddy was. Well, there goes my invite too! "Out of my way Cheesehead, we're here for recreation" seems to be a common theme over that way. We have some of those IL. folks that built next door to the cottage and they brought their Chicago attitude with them. They have managed to alienate everyone within miles. Enough of this, I'm getting packed and going hunting. Good luck to you all, even the 'Noisers.

Where you hunting? IL? laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (12344mag, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 23 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,268
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.