Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1019607551
I figured the guy didn't know his years, but the the serial number and the barrel don't fit any gun I know of.
Mike

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Featherweight barrel and stock (not introduced until mid-1952) on a late 1951 receiver.
Question is if that receiver was in inventory at the factory

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
...Marble 69 rear sight should be on a Monte Carlo stock. Just sayin'

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Featherweight barrel and stock (not introduced until mid-1952) on a late 1951 receiver.

And if the bolt serial matches …

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Seller said that there are no markings on the bolt. All mine have the serial number etched into the bolt.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Come on, you guys can tear it apart better than that. That is a pieced together rifle.

First off, that bolt is from a 1959-1963 rifle. The 1951 receiver has been modified slightly and doesn't even have the proof mark that is supposed to be in line with the one on the barrel. There's a very good chance it's been rebarreled. The stock is an original low comb, but not original to that receiver. The floor plate was not original to that rifle either. The rear sight sticks out like a sore thumb. Again, screaming pieced together. I would not trust that seller.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ken_L

Seller said that there are no markings on the bolt. All mine have the serial number etched into the bolt.
Pocono can correct me since he has Rule memorized better than I; but that is really early for a drilled bolt.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Pocono can correct me since he has Rule memorized better than I; but that is really early for a drilled bolt.

Read my post above. As for the bolt ovoid, a lot of the 308 fwts were not even drilled in '52. I've seen a few that had solid bolts knobs, even in 1953. There's more to the bolt that you guys are not seeing. I'll let you keep eyeballing it though. The bolt is from a '59-'63 rifle. Hence the reason someone removed the serial # etching from the bolt body.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Come on, you guys can tear it apart better than that. That is a pieced together rifle.

First off, that bolt is from a 1959-1963 rifle. The 1951 receiver has been modified slightly and doesn't even have the proof mark that is supposed to be in line with the one on the barrel. There's a very good chance it's been rebarreled. The stock is an original low comb, but not original to that receiver. The floor plate was not original to that rifle either. The rear sight sticks out like a sore thumb. Again, screaming pieced together. I would not trust that seller.

Yep - took a better look on a bigger screen and you’re absolutely right – definitely not flat on that bolt.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Read my post above. As for the bolt ovoid, a lot of the 308 fwts were not even drilled in '52. I've seen a few that had solid bolts knobs, even in 1953. There's more to the bolt that you guys are not seeing. I'll let you keep eyeballing it though. The bolt is from a '59-'63 rifle. Hence the reason someone removed the serial # etching from the bolt body.

Yes, we posted at the same time. I suspect it was probably a transition somewhat like the metal part plate to plastic – over a period of time.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yes, we posted at the same time. I suspect it was probably a transition somewhat like the metal part plate to plastic – over a period of time.

Yes, it was definitely a transition period. None were drilled in '51 though. There are some other tell tale's of that bolt, that tell us when it was made/manufactured.

Probably what really needs to be said here is it's a pieced together rifle. The funny thing is a lot of guys/bidders don't know that. I see it as a parts gun, but with the mods I see, I would not trust it. If you like a low comb and shoot irons, that is a nice stock and worth about $450.00. The receiver not worth much to me, and the bolt would have to go with a newer rifle to be correct. This is the kind of stuff I look for when I buy a rifle. I'd rather buy a 100% original fwt barreled action in a Mcmillan, than a pieced together rifle like this one. Hopefully that answers some of the questions the op had, about "what's wrong with this gun".

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Earliest FWT s/n that I’ve seen is 200,000. Anyone seen/have an earlier one?
Drilled bolts began appearing regularly on Fwts and Standard Rifles in 1954 approx s/n 280,000.
That shroud is from a much later bolt.
Wrong rear sight, the very early lc Fwt. was catalogued with either a Winchester 22K or Marbles No. 69 folding leaf rear sight. The Lyman 16A that is on this gun was not catalogued until 1955

Flattery will get you no where BSA, I readily concede that your memorization of Rule is much better than mine.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Perhaps it’s just the angle, but this gives me pause.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Perhaps it’s just the angle, but this gives me pause.

Earliest FWT s/n that I’ve seen is 200,000. Anyone seen/have an earlier one?
Drilled bolts began appearing regularly on Fwts and Standard Rifles in 1954 approx s/n 280,000.
That shroud is from a much later bolt.
Wrong rear sight, the very early lc Fwt. was catalogued with either a Winchester 22K or Marbles No. 69 folding leaf rear sight. The Lyman 16A that is on this gun was not catalogued until 1955

Flattery will get you no where BSA, I readily concede that your memorization of Rule is much better than mine.

I like that detailed response.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You guys are great!

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

You have a SHARP eye!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 160user

You have a SHARP eye!

Yours is a '53. Don't even have to look at rules to confirm serial # DOM. I've had 1 308 win fwt made in '53, and a buddy also has one that was made in '53, and they both have the solid bolt knob. However, Winchester started doing this in 1952, but they were slow to transition. Your bolt is correct for your rifle. As you can see, the face of the bolt sleeve is flat, where the rifle in question is rounded. In 1959 Winchester went thorough a few cost saving measures, and leaving the face of the bolt sleeve round was one of them. The reason I say the bolt is likely from a 1959-1963 rifle. Your rifle looks to be in very good condition, based on the few pictures I see.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
99Ozarks: Plenty "wrong" with that Rifle. I would stay away from it, that seller and "gunbreaker" at all costs!
Plus the action/gun was made on April 1st (April Fool's Day) 1951.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Caveat Emptor!!!
Sold- $1925 (plus fees)

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thumb groove appears to differ from side to side, stock appears to have been altered/refinished.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Someone got ripped off!

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Online purchases when you cannot have the gun "in hand" to thoroughly examine requires extra vigilance in looking for authenticity/originality. Dealing only with sellers with good reputations/feedback is a prudent idea. If the deal seems to be too good to be true it probably is, Caveat Emptore.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Someone got ripped off!

Like I said, a lot of guys don't know what they are looking at. I agree, that they did get ripped off. Too much wrong going on with that rifle. It's best to try to stay well informed so this does not happen. I remember one guy here bought a 300H&H, he posted pics and was very proud of that rifle, then I brought up the fact that it was made on a standard action receiver. Stuck out like a sore thumb, but he had no idea that he had just got ripped off. He just saw it as a beautiful pre 64 model 70. Buyers beware!!

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.