Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
And the 444, and 1895, are both 336 actions. Read the article and learn something. You're always trying to talk leverguns but you don't understand them well enough to be in these discussions. Sit down, [bleep] up, and take notes. Come back when you know what you're talking about
Your article is wrong, you are wrong. Two wrongs do not make a right.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So you clearly have no idea what Ranger Point Precision is or does. No surprise. You really don't know leverguns well enough to be commenting here

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So you clearly have no idea what Ranger Point Precision is or does. No surprise. You really don't know leverguns well enough to be commenting here

Again what's your point? You have none your are a Trolling turd. Apparently you hold them in some honor. Knowing what I know of you, that means squat. Your an idiot. You lie. You have the attention span of a Squirrel on crack . My position hasn't changed since posted on the 8th. Why? Truth never chages

If this RPP stated that what you profess, they are more ignorant that you.

Go hang with Bugger. You can stroke each other. Perhaps you can both find a life together rather than being trolling internet Poser's.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're just a monkey flinging [bleep]

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"A fool contributes nothing worth hearing, and takes offence at everthing" -Aristotle

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RAM
"A fool contributes nothing worth hearing, and takes offence at everthing" -Aristotle

That is SO [bleep] true.

Can I see the documentation that 1895 recievers were built with a different forging than the 336/375/444 models?

I can't find it ANYWHERE.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lt Colonel William S Brophy book

Marlin Firearms

Page 233 :

The new model 1895 rifle was introduced in a limited number in 1972. It was built upon the famous Model 336 receiver and lever action system in response to reports from the field that sportsman wanted manufactures to reintroduce some of the old classic cartridges.

Page 265 :

The model 444 has the same basic lever action system of the Model 336 that was modified to Handel the potent 444 cartridge.

Last edited by Angus1895; 09/13/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895

Marlin Firearms

Page 233 :

The new model 1895 rifle was introduced in a limited number in 1972. It was built upon the famous Model 336 receiver and lever action system in response to reports from the field that sportsman wanted manufactures to reintroduce some of the old classic cartridges.

Page 265 :

The model 444 has the same basic lever action system of the Model 336 that was modified to Handel the potent 444 cartridge.

Rumors that grew legs
https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/336-vs-444.63453/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Marlin Firearms

Page 233 :

Page 265 :

Rumors that grew legs

I'm a member over there and have read that thread.

Was hoping this RAM joker could provide something to the contrary to support the claims he's made.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Marlin Firearms

Page 233 :

Page 265 :

Rumors that grew legs

I'm a member over there and have read that thread.

Was hoping this RAM joker could provide something to the contrary to support the claims he's made.
He's never been able to so far. All he's been able to say is that Ranger Point Precision is full of [bleep]. But he can't back that up

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Straight stock or pistol grip? Barrel length? Gold Trigger? And yes, the barrel should be stamped "model 444" .

I had nine Marlin model 444 rifles. I gave three to my sons and friends and sold one. I still have five which I plan to keep. I mention that to confirm that I am familiar with these rifles.

Based on the OP's description, $900 in these times is a fair price.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've just come upon this Thread and would like to get back to the main topic of the Marlin in its several iterations mentioned here. My comments are about such strength significant matters not covered in the article. First, the metal alloy used in the receiver is of great relevance, a plain carbon steel frame has a considerably lower structural failure point than such as a chrome molybdenum alloy steel frame. Typically mainline firearms manufacture do not publicize the steel compositions they use in their products. The great popularity of the pre '64 Model 70 became renown for its use of such Chrome Moly steel in receiver, bolt and barrel, the latter of which nomenclature heralded "Winchester Proof Steel" which was indeed chrome moly in the 40xx series.

The second matter is more in my realm of law. It would seem to me folly for any firearms manufacturer NOT to recognize both handloading and of "hot" loads possibilities. The solution is either to build a rifle structurally accounting for some degree of "factory loadings" over-pressure tolerance in mainstream context of typical recommended pressures such as found in common handloading manuals. That or alternative "B" dictating a very plain and strong warning against loads of any pressure beyond common factory loaded round chamberings, as adjunct to the rifle nomenclature. For the Marlin Firm NOT do either accommodate or advise in form of clear warning, would invite the huge lawsuit settlements seen within the last half century or so. No competent corporate counsel would advise otherwise. Also, it is one matter to destroy a gun. Quite another from liability standpoint to injure a shooter or bystanders.

I own and have shot all of the several Marlin rifles and chamberings discussed here. I can't buy into any significant "marginalized strength" theory without accounting for the alloy of steel used and strength factors attendant. The .450 Marlin is a 'whumper' at both ends. I yet own one. I don't particularly enjoy shooting it as unquestioning of its structural integrity. The Article of reference acknowledges that chambering yet inexplicably appears of fundamental failure to account for that inherently "hot" chambering in the very same receiver! A apparent flaw in logic left unaddressed.

The ever "aberrant gun happening" as finding its way from factory into shooters hands always possible. I believe in Marlin's "reasonable strength and assurances inherent for use in manner and purpose foreseeably intended." Such lawyer talk. I consider the article deficient in failure to account for such "materials employed" which could have significant structural accountability impact on conclusions drawn.
It took me perhaps thirty seconds in follow up 'Googling' to discover a much more scientifically/engineering based comparison of the 45/70 and Marlin 450, accounting for the essential points of relevance in the Article referenced.

See: https://ammo.com/comparison/450-marlin-vs-45-70

NO LEGAL ADVICE INTENDED OR TO BE TAKEN!
Just my take!
Best!
John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the 450 Marlin Guide Gun too. I miss that one

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The 444 seems to be a favorite of some but most go 45-70.
Gun market is really slow over the last year and prices are dropping.. An "advanced" search on Gunbroker for Sold guns will help.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

WOW!

You really are challenged.

He posts

From Ranger Point Precision website
Is 1895 the strongest Marlin action?
The 1895 is a more heavily modified 336 action, but not in any way that increases strength. In fact, the 1895 is the weakest 336 action made, because a significant amount of material has to be removed to accommodate the .45-70 cartridge

Which supports EVERYTHING I posted. You read that, and then post I'm full of sh it.

What a maroon dude.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAM

WOW!

You really are challenged.

He posts

From Ranger Point Precision website
Is 1895 the strongest Marlin action?
The 1895 is a more heavily modified 336 action, but not in any way that increases strength. In fact, the 1895 is the weakest 336 action made, because a significant amount of material has to be removed to accommodate the .45-70 cartridge

Which supports EVERYTHING I posted. You read that, and then post I'm full of sh it.

What a maroon dude.
You only managed to see that post now? That was from months ago

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I go to message boards to share knowledge with like minded interests
That didn't happen here. There is a clique who felt it was their board and I never got discussion , all I got was hate. And personal attack. I'm too old and too [bleep] tired to deal with petulant children so why would anyone come back?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very interesting article.

Does the author elaborate in a different article about how the 450 marlin was an “ improvement?”

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAM
I go to message boards to share knowledge with like minded interests
That didn't happen here. There is a clique who felt it was their board and I never got discussion , all I got was hate. And personal attack. I'm too old and too [bleep] tired to deal with petulant children so why would anyone come back?

Odd then that you did indeed come back. So you could have spared us the lecture

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You can look on Gunbroker under Advanced search for Sold items. Enter Marlin 444 and see what actually sold and the winning bid price.
Marlinowners.com is also a good place to pose the question.
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/searc...p;Timeframe=1&Sort=1&PageSize=48

Last edited by WStrayer; 11/16/23.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 204guy, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,298
Posts18,487,062
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.