Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
I recently scored a model 670 in 30-06. 22 inch barrel. Looking forward to shooting it, feels a lot like the old rem 700 I learned to hunt with.

What kind of accuracy should I expect? Haven’t taken it to the range yet. Most of my modern guns shoot sub-MOA, and if they won’t, I assume something needs to be fixed. Same true with this old workhorse, or should I expect slightly bigger groups? It’s not a pricey gun, so I’m fine either way, just wondering what the norm is for 670’s.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's very unlikely you will be disappointed with your 670 with the original hammer forged barrel. Pay attention to the bedding, follow the long established rules as with any rifle, load it properly, read up on the middle screw tension...it will not be a problem child. Quite a few in .270 are just superbly accurate.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's basically a cheap model 70 with a birch stock and blind mag. I've had buddies that have had them and they shoot well when properly glass bedded and accurized, using good handloads.

A bone stock one, with no glass bedding or any other accurization, I'd expect them to shoot 3 into about 1 1/4" and 5 into 1 3/4+". Glass bed it, fine tune the trigger, and make sure the barrel is freefloating and you may have a shooter on your hands: 5 into less than an inch with the right load, if the barrel is good.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Let me put it this way. I have had 2 30/06 and my
Buddy has one. All have been under inch guns. 2 have not been bedded. My buddies has the safety like a Remington 700. He has made comments that he might sell it to me. I prefer the standard model 70 safeties but would probably buy it because it’s accurate. I would try a 150 grain billet with IMR 4064 or Rel 19 been the right combination in the one I loaded for. The one that was bedded was in a Brown precision stock would do 1/2 groups time and time again. Barrel was pitted and there was a time to clean and number of shots to settle then right back to 1/2”
I would be surprised if you were not happy with it

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Let me put it this way. I have had 2 30/06 and my
Buddy has one. All have been under inch guns. 2 have not been bedded. My buddies has the safety like a Remington 700. He has made comments that he might sell it to me. I prefer the standard model 70 safeties but would probably buy it because it’s accurate. I would try a 150 grain billet with IMR 4064 or Rel 19 been the right combination in the one I loaded for. The one that was bedded was in a Brown precision stock would do 1/2 groups time and time again. Barrel was pitted and there was a time to clean and number of shots to settle then right back to 1/2”
I would be surprised if you were not happy with it

Curious to see how the OP's shoots. You make them sound like a Tikka, or a fine tuned model 70. Which the 670 is not. They do have good barrels, but even a fine tuned model 70 can be hit or miss. I'm just trying to be realistic here.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
A 670 in 30-06 was my main hunting rifle for years. 1" was normal for the loads I used; factory and reloads. I once tried to see how accurate it could be and how well I could get the 180 NPT to shoot so spent time (25 years ago) to reloading as best I could and rejecting round that weren't as perfect as I could make them. 56g of IMR 4350 at 2650 fps would put 5 shots into 1 hole at 100 yards. Since my shots were rarely over 300 yards and usually a lot closer, I decided to just except the 1" groups. It was fun to see what the rifle could do, however.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems to me the savings vs a M-70 is fit finish and walnut, not functional performance. They’ll do about what a M-70 will do.

DF

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Woolsocks: Upon my older brothers return from his second tour in Vietnam (1969) I bought him a Winchester Model 670 in caliber 270 Winchester. With factory ammunition and a 4 power Leupold scope it shot very well and he used it to Hunt Deer with for a long time (eventually the Golf Sickness took over his pysche).
I think he still has that Rifle today.
Good luck with yours.
And welcome to the CampFire (and move out of that city as soon as possible - my doing so 26 years ago was the best decision I ever made!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Curious to see how the OP's shoots. You make them sound like a Tikka, or a fine tuned model 70. Which the 670 is not. They do have good barrels, but even a fine tuned model 70 can be hit or miss. I'm just trying to be realistic here.[/quote]

No difference between the 670 and the model 70 other than some cosmetics. Same barrels, triggers, bolt release,mag follower and spring, extractor and ejector. They did use a specific mag and mag spring support on the inside of the solid bottom stock. And depending on the version either a wing safety or Remington style safety were used. The blue was the same, satin action and semi polished barrel with sights.
I know my total of examples is only 3 but they shot way above their pay grade. So Im being realistic I wouldn’t pass a good priced one and would expect it to hang with any Tikka in like cartridge. Try one I am sure you will make it shoot, if you know what your doing. I suspect you do
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Couple of of my buddies groups. Only ones I have of his
Trying a different bullet and load. He has better groups using a 150 gr

Last edited by 338reddog; 11/17/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here are a few from my rifle
Disregard the upper left . It was from a Remington I had played with. I had similar groups and better but tossed them when I sold the rifle. So maybe not a bench gun but a pretty decent shooter
Edit to say: I need to do better at saving groups and adding more info like BSA does. I used to save groups and write info down and pages would get loose. Lately I figure I will write the info down later and never do. So targets get tossed.

Last edited by 338reddog; 11/17/23.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mine rebored to 9.3x62 fed and shot great. The factory trigger was excellent. The stocks aren't hard to fancy up (saddle dye will make it a dead ringer for walnut then oil finish over that) and for what they tend to cost now, I consider it a ton of gun vs. today's plastic budget junk.

I'm working on one in 06 right now. Adding ebony grip cap and forend tip. Also slimmed down the butt stock below and behind the grip cap.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It would be cool if the op shot his rifle and let us know how it shoots, accuracy wise.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
my dad's 670 carbine on '06, i used on woodchucks so i'd say they are accurate.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a nice one in 30/06. Solid, nicely balanced, good triggers, good fitting stock. I freefloated the barrel but did not bed it. It is probably the highest accuracy/cost rifle I own. It shoots like a Remington!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Two separate hand loads with I4350. 150 TTSX, 150 Sierra BT without even trying to build a load.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
I have a nice one in 30/06. Solid, nicely balanced, good triggers, good fitting stock. I freefloated the barrel but did not bed it. It is probably the highest accuracy/cost rifle I own. It shoots like a Remington!

Two separate hand loads with I4350. 150 TTSX, 150 Sierra BT without even trying to build a load.

The holes you taped up were from your remington? Before the bolt handle fell off and the extractor gave up the ghost..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'll take a 670 over a 70 any day of the week. smile

The simple ADL setup and blind magazine is a major improvement when compared to the Model 70 bottom metal lash up of any era. I do savvy the whole Model 70 allure, though.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
M70’s will always have more cachet

M670’s are plenty accurate

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters

The holes you taped up were from your remington? Before the bolt handle fell off and the extractor gave up the ghost..

Scathing comments, ouch…I’ll have be more careful promoting Remingtons in a Winchester sub forum.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have to agree Remington, I will take a 700 over a winchester any day. When I bought my first rifles, a gunsmith I knew aned a model 70 fan, told me to buy 700's, the new winchesters were junk!
I think they finally got their act together but it was too late for me to change.
I have never had any of the troubles 1917 mentions in 50 plus years I have been shooting Remingtons. Before I really got into them, I had an old model 70 action barreled for the .22-250. That action did break down on me.

Last edited by WyoCoyoteHunter; 11/30/23.

Molon Labe
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
^^^^ I agree...This is good stuff, leaves more old 70's for the rest of us. lol, 22 pages of 700 aftermarket fixes and replacement parts in Brownells gives us a 'hint', to quote my Alaska buddy.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
More than 5 million Remington M700’s sold

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I ended with many Remington 700 rifles because my father was right handed but left eye dominant and the stock design would allow them to shoot cross eyed down those rifles. I like the little carbines(600,660,7s) but those 700s stand in memory of my dad and don't leave the gunroom. I have always found all winchesters(Pre-, Post, Push or classic) shoot better than the Remingtons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.