Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by LBP
This place!

Yep, that's the one!!! I forgot about the mussels, we kept going back for more oysters and mussels.

Locals call it the "green stand" it's better than the red one closer to the road.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LBP
Good roe buck hunting too.

I have been in contact with that guy (Kristan) and plan to go in spring 2025 or 2026.

Originally Posted by 30338
And as opposed to the cesspool that Denver is, we found the cities there to be very clean.

I found the same thing. London was an absolute mess but many other relatively small cities in the UK and elsewhere in Europe were very clean with little graffiti and trash. Inverness Scotland, while only a mid sized city I found to be especially so, but there were others.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Even as a 12 year, I fantasized about marrying a redhead blue Eyed Scottish Gal, some day. Sadly that never happened...
But never lost the wish... frown

Know what you mean. Found a little Scottish gal with green eyes and all the freckles and bright red hair. Accused her of being Irish but knew better. We honeymooned in Miltimber, Aberdeen Shire. She still likes me methinks. That was November 19th, 1976. Now what does that remind me of? Oh wait! 😎

To the op,
Scotland is a wonderful place to visit. The Highlands are awesome as are the people there. History abounds around every corner. One simply can become totally immersed in the culture and find wonderful fellowship with the natives (everyday people) by simply being kind. It also helps to buy a round with the locals at the pub, but do it quick or every relative from the sibling to the 7th cousin will materialize out of thin air! Don't ask me how I know that 😀

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Flew to Inverness and drove up through the Highlands to Durness which is on Cape Wrath in 2006, to qualify the 5" guns on the USS Sullivans as well as the main guns on HMS Southampton.

Near enough the top of the world to be interesting
I wanna tour through northern Norway...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wife & I went there on a bus tour, started in Glasgow and ended in Edinburgh.
Beautiful country. Visited a lot of small towns, castles, and a bunch of distillery's.
The largest Quaker oat plant in the world is there.

Visited gun gun shops in Edinburgh, they sell suppressors over the counter, 243 is very popular, Scottish made shotguns are expensive.
There is no public land there. Hotels are expensive. Ate the Haggis!
Watched the colors at Edinburg castle.
Visited Roslyn Chapel on our own.
Didn't think would like the bus tour with strangers, but made some friends to this day.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There's public land in Scotland, we did a lot of hiking on it. I looked it up about 11-12% of their land is publicly owned. And they have right-of-passage laws that allow you to hike bike etc. on private land.

Access for land to hunt on is another matter.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 3x great and 4x great grandfathers were the military governors of Stirling castle. I was there in 2009. Both Stirling and Edinburgh. I want to go back but just haven't made it yet.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nope. Never been to Spain either, but I kinda like the music.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Definitely go see Edinburgh Castle, from there walk the Royal Mile to Hollyrood house palace at the other end.

Visited waaaay back in 1990 when I lived near London. Heartily agree with this suggestion. Also, visit Princess St gardens at the base of the volcanic crag beneath Edinburgh Castle. Back then, the Fringe festival was very good and the Military Tattoo (bagpipe and drum corps) was incredible.

Originally Posted by reivertom
The way that unchecked Middle Eastern immigration is taking over, I don't think I'd even to the UK these days.
Visited London and the Thames Valley in summer 2016; southern England, especially London, has been ruined by immigrants from the Middle East. Now dirty and trashy. The former charm has been destroyed.

Should you end up west of London, make your way to the Royal Standard Pub in the tiny village of Penn, near Beaconsfield. The pub has been in continuous operation for 900 years.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Smokepole,
You are correct, I was thinking of fishing and hunting.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I'm thinkin about hopping over the pond and checking it out.

No, but I've been to England 5 times on business. Cotswold's 4 times, London once. I want to go. Maybe this summer, hit Germany as well.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I traveled throughout Scotland, when I was there it was the first time I realized just how lucky I was to have been born in North America. Nothing beats the USA and Canada~

With all of the sheep there I am sure it's a Muslim's paradise lol

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/18/23.

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, and was there for a second time last month.

My perspective is a bit different from most tourists. My wife and I went roe deer hunting with another couple in 2018 and we hunted stag and fallow deer last month. Both times we went with Michael and Danielle Grosse of International Adventures Unlimited. Both times we spent a few days touring on our own between Edinburgh and St Andrews, then went to the Highlands with Michael and Danielle.

Michael and Danielle made arrangements for us to stay at a very nice inn, and while my buddy and I were hunting our wives were touring with Danielle. We would then meet for dinner in the evening. Hunting allows us to have experiences tourists don't get. We hunt (fair chase) on very large estates with the estate's game keepers. These gentlemen are typically dressed in tweed sport coats and breeches with tattersall shirts and ties. We see the parts of private estates that the tourists never see.

On the last trip I was in an area of the Highlands that was rocky, windblown and desolate. We often stumbled across stone structures that are many hundreds of years old. For hunter, it is a wonderful experience. This is not hard hunting, but the cultural experience is wonderful. It is a reminder that hunters are similar wherever we go. Our conversations are like the ones here: MOA vs MIL, cup and core vs mono, 6.5 flat bill vs everything.

Oh, I like the food! Venison, lamb, salmon, and of course...haggis; all with a dram of Scotch whisky.

405wcf

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222ND, 204guy, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,249
Posts18,525,094
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.