Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I got more posts than you means lā€™m senior to your dilapidated ass!

Last edited by anothergun; 11/09/23.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grabbed a Mitutoyo 1.000" ground standard and checked some stuff on my bench:

-#1 Mitutoyo 193-211: 1.000"
-#2 Mitutoyo 193-211: 1.000"
-#3 Mitutoyo 193-211: 1.000"
-Scherr Tomico manual micrometer: 1.000"
-#1 dial caliper: 1.001"
-#2 dial caliper: 1.003"
-#1 digital dial caliper: .9985"
-#2 digital dial caliper: 1.0025"

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Al_Nylus,

I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about here. It takes a practiced feel to read a caliper correctly. Most just clamp down on something any old which way and call it Gospel. If that caliper isn't gliding like melted butter on a tin roof then you ain't getting that feel.
This $56 set of Hornady's isn't at all like that. You can actually feel the teeth clicking in it, which screams junk to me. The $29 set of Harbor Freight digitals I picked up a while back, just to have something cheap out in the garage were even worse. I didn't even make it out of the parking lot with them, took it right back in and got my money back.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A lot of you guys are griping about being able to read the vernier caliper with those old eyes. Do yourself a favor and buy a good digital. These are 23 years old and still going strong:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Why you old mother fu ckers are always trying to make schidt harder is beyond me...
When digital calipers first came out they didn't play well with the coolants used in machining. So ya, us senile citizens have a natural distrust in relying on them to make accurate measurements...

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A lot of you guys are griping about being able to read the vernier caliper with those old eyes. Do yourself a favor and buy a good digital. These are 23 years old and still going strong:

Why you old mother fu ckers are always trying to make schidt harder is beyond me...
When digital calipers first came out they didn't play well with the coolants used in machining. So ya, us senile citizens have a natural distrust in relying on them to make accurate measurements...

šŸ‘šŸ‘

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for all this, guys. The $90 Mitutoyo dial calipers I started using in the student machine shop 25 years ago are still going strong...

...the $200 Mitutoyo digital calipers I bought 10 years ago are no longer accurate and I took them out of general use. They were not used in a machine shop, no coolant...but they still crapped out. They look fine, just don't read accurately anymore.

Just snagged a pair of old B&S calipers off Ebay...they look clean so hopefully worth the $50.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Feral_American
What brings you out from trolling the reloading section, Zerk, Maser, whoever you are?

Originally Posted by anothergun
So Harbor Freight calipers suit me fine for handloading ammunition.

Not AT ALL surprised.

besides I don't shoot much

Oh so you do read my posts even though I'm on your ignore list. hmmm

No advice to give on the lee collet dies, never needed them.

well at least you ain't bashing my .....sensible advice.
The first thing to do is decide who's giving sensible advice so your thread doesn't go down a rabbit hole.

On ward down ward Alice !

Not AT ALL surprised

And you're to proud to buy perfectly good oversea tools that ARE better.

41_100 wrote this in YOUR Starrett Mitutoyo thread........... about a repair mans take on JUNK tooling.
the quality of Chinese and Taiwanese instruments has improved and US made instruments have declined. He said even the cheap Taiwanese indicators are very accurate.

I believe that ! Harbor Freight suits me fine ! Even though my Tacoma is made in Mexico it's built better than any American vehicle and I don't need to own one just to feed my ego!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TX35W
Thanks for all this, guys. The $90 Mitutoyo dial calipers I started using in the student machine shop 25 years ago are still going strong...

...the $200 Mitutoyo digital calipers I bought 10 years ago are no longer accurate and I took them out of general use. They were not used in a machine shop, no coolant...but they still crapped out. They look fine, just don't read accurately anymore.

Just snagged a pair of old B&S calipers off Ebay...they look clean so hopefully worth the $50.

A good friend has a business buying and selling machine shop equipment. Often, he does a full lift including equipment and tools. He's been a great source of high quality precision meauring tools...micrometers, depth mics, micrometer heads for tools I've made, inside hole mics, dial bore gauges, etc.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Occasionally if I want a giggle I'll toggle one of your posts to see what's going on in lalalulu land. I really wouldn't consider that any sort of vindication though.

Being able to enjoy the knowledgeable parts of the conversation while just skipping over your predictably inept bullshi t is worth every penny of the price of admission. The only thing that would be any better would be an outright block button to leave you hanging out there in cyberspace ackyacking to yourself.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
you are extremely good at playing with yourself behind your mascaraed ! I bet you sell people blind horses.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Kp321
Over the past 50 years I have used every brand of caliper out there at work and in my own shop. I now donā€™t use anything except B&S. Nothing else comes close and donā€™t get me started on digitals. I have at least five sets on my various work benches, all purchased on eBay at $50.00 or less.

and where are they made ???? for 50 bucks I'm sure they ain't high quality, that's for sure !

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
The joker that happily admits to not shooting much, and attempts to set up a sizing die with a go-gauge, and buys a set of incrementalized shell holders to "fix" where he jacked that up....is now lecturing gunsmiths in the gunsmith forum on quality precision measuring devices.

You just can't make this stuff up.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
oh get off of it dip sh it ! just because you shoot more mean jack diddly BS to me and alot of other people, and you're too stupid to see that ! Get a life ! YOU DON'T NEED THAT KIND OF PRECISION JACK AZZ ! For handloading, and that type I don't need !

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
YOU DON'T NEED THAT KIND OF PRECISION JACK AZZ ! For handloading, and that type I don't need !

Then, get off my thread.

Simple.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
ok dumb [bleep] in the mud... maybe I need to buy a bigger set of boots, walking through your sh it !

Ordered in a Hornady set for the reloading bench
A step up from Harbor Freight trash, but not by much in my opinion.

why did you do this? If they suck so much ??? And we need to know this because ???? like we don't know that you top shelf calipers are better, no sh it sherlock, what was your first clue ? What point are you trying to make ??

Question is, are current production Starretts and/or Mitutoyo worth a f uck these days, or have they gone "cheap" too? I'd like to think a new set of either would last another 30 years or more.

Someone told you that already.... but I guess you like to hear yourself talk.

There is an old guy in Tucson who refurbishes and sells all kind of used machine tools. Big warehouse type building and a shop area in the back. I stop in once in a while to look around and talk to him. He is either very knowledgeable or a good BSā€™er.

I have Starett and an Ames dial indicator that need to be rebuilt. He said itā€™s not worth it. He said the quality of Chinese and Taiwanese instruments has improved and US made instruments have declined. He said even the cheap Taiwanese indicators are very accurate.

Guess that's not enough for you not to ask these kinds of questions, isn't it ? PROBABLY NOT !!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use these vintage high quality Scherr-Tumico micrometers quite a bit when I don't need .0001 resolution. Quality measuring tools generally come with the appropriate standard for checking and rezeroing if needed.

That's changed with the glut of junk on the market. I played with an 'ebay special' Chinese counterfeit big-name digital electronic micrometer that came with a 'standard'. The problem was the 'standard' was a piece of black plastic rod that measured .998" instead of 1.000". grin Tools that display to the fourth decimal when they can't resolve to within 2 thou. is always good humor....marketing people are savvy to the ignorant and the cheap. People measuring the inside diameter of a hole with a dial caliper and pronouncing the dimension as correct comes in at second place. Pictures usually accompany such gospel. wink

I have several good digital dial calipers and they are fine for what they get used for. When close enough is close enough...close enough will do.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My standard is certified out to .00008"
I like to use a .5000" block since it's in the center of the range of a 1" mike.
Most people just check a 0-1" mike at zero.
Of course when talking 4 decimals temperature matters

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
My standard is certified out to .00008"
I like to use a .5000" block since it's in the center of the range of a 1" mike.
Most people just check a 0-1" mike at zero.
Of course when talking 4 decimals temperature matters
The three shops I worked in had a mike tree to test micrometers. When I worked in a grinding room splitting 10ths I'd take my mikes into Inspection/Gage Repair (temperature controlled), let them stabilize to the temperature and verify the measurement.

And "close enough" is only good for horse shoes, hand grenades and nuclear warfare, not when you're grinding gage blocks for God... šŸ˜…šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you are purchasing a Mitutoyo digital , make sure you buy from a legitimate retailer, like machine shop supplier. NOT Amazon . I bought mine from KBC. I was told to keep the cardboard sleeve, other wise they wouldn't warranty them. There are a lot fakes out there.

Calipers are good to .005" . They tend to be better than that but...... I have a $20 Chinese no-name dial calipers that I used used for 25 years in maintenance shop, and am still using them at home after I retired. I had bought a second one for reloading, but my Lab thought they were toy to chew on. They didn't survive. My Starrett are nice, but not by much, and only after the Starrett was broke in. (NOS)

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lufkin made great mics they say. I think they are referring to the thimble ones. I bought 6" to 12" interchangeable anvils Lufkin mic off an old Boeing machinist .They are just a ratchet, They were a pain to clean and adjust. Besides the Lufkin, I have Mitutoyo, Starrett, Moore and Wright, VIS, Craftsmen, Brown and Sharp and a Kanon micrometers. Imperial and Metric. The Mits are the easiest of the bunch for cleaning and adjusting. Only a few were bought new, and they were NOS .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (06hunter59, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1234, 219DW, 160user, 66 invisible), 12,215 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,254
Posts18,544,494
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.