Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good buddy of mine just picked up a new Tikka T3x SL in 6.5CM from Sportsman’s.
We were elk hunting together and he said it’s kicks more than he thought it would. But it is an accurate shooter. I looked at it and noticed the gap between the stock and barrel was pretty significant. Compared to my T3X SL 6.5.
Would this attribute to excessive rocoil?

Is this normal or should he take it apart to look at the stock and re install the action/barrel.
Or contact tikka?
Thanks in advance

https://imgur.com/a/ettPVuL

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Could the action be riding on top of the recoil lug? Would be worth backing out the action screws and see if it will drop down.

Bill

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
if you have a noticeable barrel gap like described take the action out and when installing it be sure that the recoil lug is fully engaged into the action slot. I have had a couple of friends who took their action out and did not get it properly seated when it was installed.
I will qualify that experience a bit though - in both cases when the recoil lug was not properly seated neither gun had good accuracy.

As far as contributing to more recoil I am unsure why it would. Maybe he was just expecting less recoil and was a bit surprised that it didn't meet his expectations.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That looks like an excessive gap to me.
Take it apart and see if something is fouling the recoil lug pocket or the action channel.
If not, then maybe the stock is out of spec.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The action is sitting on top of the recoil lug. Happens often when the rifle is re-assembled. GD

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by greydog
The action is sitting on top of the recoil lug. Happens often when the rifle is re-assembled. GD
This ^^^
I forgot that Tikka uses a separate piece for their recoil lug.
It has to nest into a slot in the action.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by greydog

+1

When you take it apart make sure the recoil lug doesn't have burrs or bent edges from shooting without it seated.. Sometimes they can be a bit tough to get if you haven't done it much. Try putting the barreled action in your lap and putting the stock on upside down. Should be able to feel the lug and cut line up and engage.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This is the standard gap on a Tikka T3

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks everybody
McKay, I showed him my tikkas and other rifles with free floated barrels
They all look like yours 👊🏻

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Looks like the action is not sitting down on the recoil lug.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Thanks everybody

Your buddy probably took the barreled action out of the stock and did not put it back together properly. I've seen them like this in the used rifle racks. You'd be surprised how many guys do this. Judging by you not knowing this, I'd speculate you never remove your barreled actions from their stocks. And just so you know, the Tikka Superlite does not have a freefloated barrel from the factory.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dre
Thanks everybody

Your buddy probably took the barreled action out of the stock and did not put it back together properly. I've seen them like this in the used rifle racks. You'd be surprised how many guys do this. Judging by you not knowing this, I'd speculate you never remove your barreled actions from their stocks. And just so you know, the Tikka Superlite does not have a freefloated barrel from the factory.

I have taken my rifles and tikkas apart before.
He said the rifles came like this from the factory.
I noticed almost immediately it while at camp and now that I’m home I’m asking because I wasn’t about to take his rifle apart on his limited time up he was in the woods.
But I have alway thought the tikkas were free floated. I suppose 3/4 of free float doesn’t count .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,502 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.