Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a Winchester 70 Featherweight (push feed) in 6.5x55, and have been having a random issue. Occasionally, it feels as though the bolt is locking up, but it is not consistent. Basically, you can cam the bolt handle all the way up/open, and it doesn't want to pull the bolt out of the receiver. It isn't all the time, and will do it whether its loaded or not. You can pull on it a couple of times, and suddenly the bolt will release and slide back. Once again, the bolt handle will open/cam all the way up, it just occasionally wants to stick/not release when pulling to the rear. Its not binding part of the way when pulling back, its almost like its hanging up on the locking lugs in the receiver. There is no binding with the bolt camming up, but it doesn't do it every time.

Any suggestions? Can't be the action screws or scope base screws, as it doesn't do it all the time.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Check the breech bolt sleeve lock pin, if it's backing out this will occur. That's the pin that holds in the tiny flag shaped piece that prevents the bolt from unscrewing.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I pulled the bolt, didn't see anything obvious. Oddly enough, I cycled the bolt around 50 times (empty), and couldn't get it to lock up again.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
There is a possibility that the brazed joint is loose. GD

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by greydog

My first thought also. On the post-64 model 70 the bolt handle is not one-piece with the bolt body. The bolt handle is pressed onto splines on the bolt body and brazed to the bolt handle. I have read of failures at this joint although I have personally never seen one.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Loosen the rear stock screw out, an see how the bolt runs.
Is so, tighten as far as it does not bend the action, the front screw can handle it,

Last edited by LeeC; 11/19/23.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
PM coming.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Keep us updated. I've never seen issues like this with a model 70. But I keep the locking lugs slightly lubed, glass bed my rifles and shorten the action screws if I need to. That also goes for the scope base screws. I'm wondering if the anti bind device may be hanging up on the raceway somewhere? I'd pull the bolt, inspect it in great detail, then disassemble the bolt and thoroughly clean the bolt and lube it and see if the problem persists. Again, keep us posted. I'm sure redneck has the logical solution here, but would like to hear what the cause is, when you find it. Thank!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Guy I worked with had his bolt break like stated above. Read about it but only one I knew of personally.

It doesn't matter how fast you miss.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by greydog

My first thought also. On the post-64 model 70 the bolt handle is not one-piece with the bolt body. The bolt handle is pressed onto splines on the bolt body and brazed to the bolt handle. I have read of failures at this joint although I have personally never seen one.

drover
For several years, I did Winchester warranty work. I saw at least a half dozen. In every case, it was a poor fit and insufficient brazing material. GD

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, y'all done larned me sumpin'. It's amazing the knowledge base on this site. I used to work some with a local 'smith that did Browning and Remington warranty work and over the years I never ceased being amazed by the ways that firearms could be screwed up from the factory. Saw several 700's that the bolt handles had come off of. But, when Mr. Jim got through with them, they certainly were not gonna come off again.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.