Originally Posted by fshaw
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by fortymile
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by fortymile
Surprised no one has mentioned Speer Gold Dot. Not easy to find but used to be made in 55, 62 and 75 grain versions. Those bullets expand beautifully and hold together, and Speer put them in factory ammo. Again, if you can find it.
Been mentioned several times. In fact was mentioned in the OP.
?? I looked again, saw no mention of the Speer Gold Dot. OP mentions the Federal Fusion. Both are good choices IMO but the Gold Dot bullets would be my first choice for deer.
Pretty sure they are the exact same bullet.

Fusion is a factory load, Gold Dot is a component bullet.

I recommended the Power Point because of availability. My favorite.224 bullet for deer and such is the 75gr Gold Dot hands down. They’ve been hard to find as a component for a couple years now. All three Gold Dots are loaded in Speer’s LE line and can be found online.

Why has the 75gr Gold Dot become your favorite? I’ve shot 3 deer with the 77TMK and one with the 64BSB, no exits with any of that small sample. If the 75gr Gold Dot would give me exits, it would likely become my favorite as well if I could find acceptable accuracy.

Thanks.

Frank

That’s exactly why, it exits. I’ve shot probably a dozen deer so far with the 75gr Gold Dot and haven’t caught one yet.

Thanks for your reply. What was your load?

My load is,

Lake City brass
75gr Gold Dot
24.5 grs H-4895
CCI BR4 primer
2.275 OAL

Or

Lake City brass
75 gr Gold Dot
25 grs H-4895
CCI BR4 primer
2.35 OAL

The first load is for my .223 standard throat Rifles Inc Strata. The Second load is for my .223 long throated NULA.
Both loads average 2925 fps. These are my loads work up with caution and all that stuff. Hodgdon shows 24.5 grs as max for a 75 gr bullet but it’s not a gold dot.

Last edited by LBP; 12/04/23.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lever’ will grant more velocity and meters a whole bunch better. Also better ES/SD. Hint.

I don’t have a throat on any 223/223AI OEM or otherwise,that kisses a 75 ELD,shorter than 2.435” COAL. Hint.

Just saying………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Stick, is there any published data for Lever and 75’s?

Thanks?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
NOPE. HINT. LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stick, is there any published data for Lever and 75’s?

Thanks?

Lever' is slower burning than CFE and that data abounds. I shoot it in dozens of rifles and it's interesting,that Data is often soooooo slow in it's arrival. Hint.

I've long shot it in 223,223AI,224 Grendel,22BR,243 Grendel,6BR,ARC,264 Grendel and will be squirting 112's with it in a new K&P 6 Dasher spout,next pass. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I tend to drive .003" constriction and Lapooey brass,with an obvious Square Smooch. This particular throat arranges same,at 2.530" COAL. I don't have any less than 2.430",whether OEM or Custom,with cited projectile. Hint.

Imitation is THE most Sincere form of flattery and CLUELESS Lying Piece Of fhuqking Schit Brokedick Droolers like to Pretend aloud,as they "live" vicariously. Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Lever’ will grant more velocity and meters a whole bunch better. Also better ES/SD. Hint.

I don’t have a throat on any 223/223AI OEM or otherwise,that kisses a 75 ELD,shorter than 2.435” COAL. Hint.

Just saying………….
I’ve got some Lever my son runs in his 223AI at your recommendation, I need to try it in my vanillas.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’d have to check my notes for how much at a time but Lever is the business under the 75 BTHP and the 77TMK for my uses.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’d have to check my notes for how much at a time but Lever is the business under the 75 BTHP and the 77TMK for my uses.

I’d be curious about your loads with both bullets. I’ve got lever and the BTHP sitting on my bench. Planning on picking up the TMKs.

Last edited by LSU fan; 12/04/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by REDVANES

Did you, perchance, read the first page of this thread?

I've ready them all... just giving the bullet another tip of the cap

Last edited by REDVANES; 12/05/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TheKid

Same here.

26.5 to 27 has been amazing in alot of rifles with anything 75-77 grain.

Semper Fi
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For those who have read the Rokslide link, does the 77 TMK seem too destructive?

Looks like a ton of bloodshot.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I was just reading an article on the .22 K-Hornet. The 35 gr. Hammer Hunter was the most accurate bullet and they tested a bunch.

The 60 gr. Hammer Hunter you mention should work great in a .223. They do recommend 9 twist, so OP should check his Dad's rifle.

I've been impressed with Hammer bullets, as have you. Accuracy and terminal performance are top notch.

There is a Weatherby You Tube video, Adam Weatherby interviewing the Hammer founders/owners. Lots of good info. Google it.

Wby is now offering their factory ammo loaded with Hammer bullets. That speaks volumes.

They're not cheap, but how many does one actually use when hunting. Use enough to work up a load, then plink with cheaper stuff.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
For those who have read the Rokslide link, does the 77 TMK seem too destructive?

Not to be a smartass, but a ton of bloodshot as compared to what? My little bit of use of the 77TMK on game versus what I've seen with .223 varmint bullets, FMJ, and monolithics points more toward what you might see in a conventional cup/core standard weight 95-100gr .243 factory load, being more damage than I've seen with a mono or FMJ but with more penetration than a lightweight HP or other varmint-style bullet. Perhaps not a bad place to be. I do wish the 75gr Gold Dot was still available on the market, as it also looks like a good all-rounder with a bit more of a nod to penetration. Would be a fun one to test a bit on deer and hogs.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aw man, is the 75gr Gold Dot discontinued? As a component, or loaded ammo too? I have a box of their cop marketed stuff in the drawer just in case it ever comes down to 223 deer shooting.

About that...do you guys find a certain bullet/shot placement makes for better blood trails and tracking, or is it pretty much just foregone that there will be very little to none but the deer won't get very far?

Ingwe's posts on the lighter TSX and TTSX on deer make it sound great.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The component bullet and ammo are still listed by Speer, it just seems that they haven't made them in a while, as they don't show up at retailers.

I've generally gone for lungs with anything other than a mono when shooting the .223. With a mono, I try to hit shoulders.

Broadside exit from 77TMK on whitetail. Good blood trail and short run.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Not to be a smartass, but a ton of bloodshot as compared to what? My little bit of use of the 77TMK on game versus what I've seen with .223 varmint bullets, FMJ, and monolithics points more toward what you might see in a conventional cup/core standard weight 95-100gr .243 factory load, being more damage than I've seen with a mono or FMJ but with more penetration than a lightweight HP or other varmint-style bullet. Perhaps not a bad place to be. I do wish the 75gr Gold Dot was still available on the market, as it also looks like a good all-rounder with a bit more of a nod to penetration. Would be a fun one to test a bit on deer and hogs.

Compared to a 150 gr ELDX from our 7mm-08s. We’ve killed a bunch of deer over the last decade with that cartridge and I haven’t seen that kind of destruction from the 7mm-08 as from the 77 TMK.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks JPro! Man I believe you on the short run. Would not be able to guess what cartridge/caliber did that. Definitely wouldn't think 22 cal.

And appreciate the info. Will continue hoarding the Speer wink

Originally Posted by JPro
The component bullet and ammo are still listed by Speer, it just seems that they haven't made them in a while, as they don't show up at retailers.

I've generally gone for lungs with anything other than a mono when shooting the .223. With a mono, I try to hit shoulders.

Broadside exit from 77TMK on whitetail. Good blood trail and short run.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Factory loaded Hornady 75 grain ELDM from a 16” AR-15 at ~115 yards

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by drano 25
Factory loaded Hornady 75 grain ELDM from a 16” AR-15 at ~115 yards

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Factory loaded 75eldm fits in an ar mag?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I only run 25gr of Lever under the 75s and 77s. They shoot good and terminal performance is great so I haven’t messed with it. 2” diameter wound channels are the norm and I haven’t noticed any huge amounts of bloodshot though I am not butchering pigs, which is the main target.

Typical exit wreckage from the 77TMK. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Entrance. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Recipient [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.