-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Been old school in my jerky making forever, slicing nice cuts, smoking and dehydrating. Not trying to brag but I make some damn good tasty jerky.

After trying the ground meat jerky some of the guys bring to work I'm thinking maybe switching gears and use some the lesser cuts I put in burger and sausage for jerky instead of the nicer steaks and roasts. I kinda like the texture of the ground meat jerky a little better than the sliced meat.

I'm probably behind the curve on this but what's a good "jerky shooter" to buy? Are the caulking gun type the best way to go? Only way to go? I'm not opposed to something that attaches to my LEM grinder because my carpal tunnel won't play well very long with a big caulking gun thing, I don't think. I see there are attachments for a sausage stuffer, do they work well? Been thinking I'm overdue for a sausage stuffer anyway.

Any input appreciated.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got an LEM caulking gun type. No complaints. I don’t find it hard to use. Maybe borrow one from a coworker to try?

I like “real” jerky better. But ground jerky is an easy way to use up a lot if unused burger.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
👍

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer sliced jerky but ground is definitely easier. I made 10 pounds yesterday. As far as the jerky guns don't but the cheaper plastic ones. They don't last.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LEM Jerky Cannon https://a.co/d/gCBuZG5

This is the one I use. Had the same one for 15 years and no problems. There are different nozzles available for single jerky , double sticks of jerky and stack stick style. It's not tough to use but the carpal tunnel may present an issue.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't like the texture of the ground jerky.
Have tried many variations that friends have made and can't develop a like for it.

I have a cheapo meat slicer that makes it easy to get even slices, will stick with that.

Good luck

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Rather than use a messy jerky gun, I cut a gallon ziplock bag in two, place a ball of seasoned ground meat in between the two plastic pieces and roll it out with a rolling pin. Once the ball has been flattened to the desired thickness I use a knife to shape the strips, then dehydrate..

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Rather than use a messy jerky gun, I cut a gallon ziplock bag in two, place a ball of seasoned ground meat in between the two plastic pieces and roll it out with a rolling pin. Once the ball has been flattened to the desired thickness I use a knife to shape the strips, then dehydrate..
Yes, right on.

Go Ahead And Backup
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Lem is just fine. I prefer the ground jerky as well.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StumpDodger
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Yes, right on.

Damn it, I should have thunk of that myself. I do a lot of sausage patties that way. I even bought a stainless rolling pin with "spacers" to get an even thickness, then use round cookie cutters to make the patties. Kinda nice having pre-made frozen sausage rounds to just plunk in the cast iron pan and fry up quick and easy.

I think I'll try that with the jerky before I fool with a caulking gun thing. Thanks fellers.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the aluminum caulking gun as well and it makes great jerky

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,853
Posts18,478,484
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.