M
Who uses that to approximate 2000*pi?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Who uses that to approximate 2000*pi?

The US military does.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Whatever for?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
who TF wants to put a 2 lb scope on a 5 lb rifle?

uhhh, ME...... I'll take something that works, at a small weight penalty, every frigging time.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22

uhhh, ME...... I'll take something that works, at a small weight penalty, every frigging time.

Same here, I gave up on trying to make light scopes work. I'd rather suffer the ounces and enjoy reliability.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great write up BSA. Always enjoyed seeing your targets and notes. Keep em coming

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs

Same here, I gave up on trying to make light scopes work. I'd rather suffer the ounces and enjoy reliability.

I've gone as high as 21 ounces.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MikeS; 11/24/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice buck Mike!

I like the rifle as well!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Huntsman, I noticed on some other threads you were telling guys there were some Bushnell LRHS for sale in the classifieds. I believe Jordan and some others use those as well. I'm sure they track exceptionally well and have very good glass. Care to share what you think on them? Thanks.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice buck Mike!

Sweet rifle, probably a damn good shooter too. Mike needs to fill us in on specifics. Looks like it's set up very well. Compact edge, 1955 or there abouts pre 64 model 70 with custom #1 contour stainless barrel, beefy Leupold with M1 turret in S&K mounts. He needs to tell us about the rifle. What is it chambered in, how does she shoot? Don't say 308 win though!!! I'm thinking the rifle weighs in around 7.6 pounds?

Originally Posted by Dre
Great write up BSA. Always enjoyed seeing your targets and notes. Keep em coming

Thanks Dre, I appreciate that. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving my friend!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

In a whole different ballpark than some of you guys, but I just run the cheap azzed Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle scopes on 90% of my hunting rigs. Teaching my girlfriend how to use them on her new 243 too. They are 13oz's and a great set and forget that gets me out to 500. Like I said though, a whole different level than what you guys are using, and probably shouldn't even be brought up in a tall target test thread!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by high_country_
You moa guys, make sure you understand the difference between smoa and tmoa before you run a ton of minutes up and scratch your head.

Plumb on the line is critical.

Roger that on the minutes of angle. Many don't realize the constant commonly used for milliradians is a rounded number as well.
To which constant are you referring?

"A full circle = 360 degrees = 6400 Mils (the word comes from milliradian). There are a number of reasons why 6400 was chosen: 1. It approximately matches the accuracy/resolution capability of artillery optical sights."

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Whatever for?

Military lensatic compasses are calibrated with 360 degrees for dismounted land navigation and 6400 "mils" for adjusting mortar and artillery fire. Our mortar sights had a 6,400-mil scale and we based our FDC calculations on 6,400 mils.

Per wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliradian),

There are also other definitions used for land mapping and artillery which are rounded to more easily be divided into smaller parts for use with compasses, which are then often referred to as "mils", "lines", or similar. For instance there are artillery sights and compasses with 6,400 NATO mils, 6,000 Warsaw Pact mils or 6,300 Swedish "streck" per turn instead of 360° or 2π radians, achieving higher resolution than a 360° compass while also being easier to divide into parts than if true milliradians were used.

I'm guessing that when you only have a few weeks to teach a bunch of people to adjust indirect fire, you simplify it as much as you can and accept a slight loss of precision.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by okie john
Whatever for?

Military lensatic compasses are calibrated with 360 degrees for dismounted land navigation and 6400 "mils" for adjusting mortar and artillery fire. Our mortar sights had a 6,400-mil scale and we based our FDC calculations on 6,400 mils.

There are also other definitions used for land mapping and artillery which are rounded to more easily be divided into smaller parts for use with compasses, which are then often referred to as "mils", "lines", or similar. For instance there are artillery sights and compasses with 6,400 NATO mils, 6,000 Warsaw Pact mils or 6,300 Swedish "streck" per turn instead of 360° or 2π radians, achieving higher resolution than a 360° compass while also being easier to divide into parts than if true milliradians were used.

I'm guessing that when you only have a few weeks to teach a bunch of people to adjust indirect fire, you simplify it as much as you can and accept a slight loss of precision.

Okie John

This.

The 6400 is a simplified rounded up used by the military. I used it 40+ years ago with mil surp Swiss made WILD T16 survey theodolites.

The actual geometric number mathman references is right around 6283 mils in 360 degrees. Pretty much like rounding MOA to exactly one inch.

Last edited by MikeS; 11/24/23. Reason: Mfr. Correction

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by okie john
Whatever for?

Okie John

Extremely interesting stuff there. I've always been taught that math is the "universal language", weird how they try to teach different philosophies in regards to this??? You say to make it easier, but if it's wrong, it's wrong. I'm not a math major though. I usually wait for mathman to fill us in on things regarding math, even though I have used it a lot in my line of work. Mainly trig and simple but useful pythagorean theorem. It's always nice when you can use a "constant" too, as Mike suggested. Constants are the layman's friend.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nice buck Mike!

Sweet rifle, probably a damn good shooter too. Mike needs to fill us in on specifics. Looks like it's set up very well. Compact edge, 1955 or there abouts pre 64 model 70 with custom #1 contour stainless barrel, beefy Leupold with M1 turret in S&K mounts. He needs to tell us about the rifle. What is it chambered in, how does she shoot? Don't say 308 win though!!! I'm thinking the rifle weighs in around 7.6 pounds?

Originally Posted by Dre

Specifics on the rifle are:

1959 action, Edge stock, 6.5-06 Rock 5R 1-8 barrel w/3/4" cylinder, Jewell trigger and the Mark 4 10x scope. Shot out the original .270 barrel and this one is pretty much done as well. Have Kreiger chambered and ready to go I'll install after I use up the last of the ammo for this one. Smithed by myself and a good friend for the barrel work. Forget the weight, but without the sling or ammo 7.6 pounds sounds pretty close.

Other pictures here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11613018/1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice buck Mike!

Originally Posted by Dre

1959 action, Edge stock, 6.5-06 Rock 5R 1-8 barrel w/3/4" cylinder, Jewell trigger and the Mark 4 10x scope. Shot out the original .270 barrel and this one is pretty much done as well. Have Kreiger chambered and ready to go I'll install after I use up the last of the ammo for this one. Smithed by myself and a good friend for the barrel work. Forget the weight, but without the sling or ammo 7.6 pounds sounds pretty close.

Other pictures here:

Absolute killer rifle. We might shop at the same store..

This is just a plain old 30-06 though and comes in a hair under 8lbs as it sits though. It’s really a great hunting rifle.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice buck Mike!

Originally Posted by Dre

Other pictures here:

Absolute killer rifle. We might shop at the same store..

This is just a plain old 30-06 though and comes in a hair under 8lbs as it sits though. It’s really a great hunting rifle.

We may, I used it's near twin to shoot a Coues buck last Monday. Great rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Love those rifles mike and Scotty.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Anyone else here have any tall target tests they can share with us? I know in another thread, mathman suggested shooting these on a windless day. He is absolutely right. However, sometimes it's almost impossible to find one of those.

Luckily around here, the winds have been lighter, over the last month. I'd suggest making note of the wind on the target, if you happen to try this when the wind speeds are higher than about 5 mph. I know guys are always suggesting wind flags. Use those too, if you need to. I don't find that they increase group size by very much, but they can push your group over a bit. Something that needs to be noted here is I do not wait for the barrel to cool between shots. That is absolutely unnecessary. I'll let it cool between groups, and in these tests, I leapfrog the rifles being shot, so they are cooling down a little, but not much. Using 2 rifles to compare side by side is always a fun test, whether shooting at steel or paper targets way out there, or these tall target tests. Either way, dueling rifles is always fun.

The other day, I was shooting one of these targets in 5-9 mph winds, and you can see where it effected both rifles. Winds started picking up a bit when shooting at the 20 moa to 35 moa, then backed off again. However, the little 53gr v-max I was shooting didn't seem to be affected as much as the 140gr ELD-match I was using in the Tikka CTR. Strange since the 53 has a much lower bc. (around .291 vs .625, if I remember right). Another weird thing I've noticed is that same 53gr V-max has shot some very tight groups at 4-600 yards. Sub 1" at 400 and sub 3" at 600 yards. You guys can examine these targets and see what you think:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Check that Nightforce SHV 5-20X56 out, it's tracking higher with every group. At 37 moa up, it is about .8-1 moa out, when hitting the 38 moa orange dot. That is 3 out of the 4 SHV's that I have that are tracking in a similar manner. Just something to watch for, if you decide you want to buy one. Otherwise an exceptional scope for the money. I love the glass and like the MOAR reticle on these ones.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.