Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Great write up bsa. Appreciated on my end for sure, will need to do this myself soon

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Great write up bsa. Appreciated on my end for sure, will need to do this myself soon

Thanks Cert, I appreciate it! It would be cool to see how the scope I sold you fares. I'll bet it will be spot on. I hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good test if you do everything right. IE.. action is precisely level, scope is mounted precisely level and reticle travels precisely vertically to the center or the earth, bubble level mounted simultaneously to ensure everything is aligned when doing the shooting

Or you can have your scope mounted precisely (accurate to .001” at 6”), ran through its entire travel while aligned with a laser-leveled, precisely marked board in MOA and Mil, and anomalies noted while the barreled action is held in a heavy fixture.

And not shoot 20 rounds

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If any discrepancies are noted in travel dialed to actual movement, the actual click values can be calculated and input into your ballistic program to have perfectly accurate output solutions

But if you can’t send your rifle and scope to Score High Gunsmithing for the precision mount, the tall target test will do if you have the time to devote

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA, I suspect your scopes are actually tracking as they should, I have owned several NF scopes and checked I think 3. ALL of them track spot on and have ZERO error I could find. I can detect a tracking error within 1%. This brings up an issue I have talked about for years but the board mocks me and makes fun of my methods. Frankly I don't care because I know what I have come up with works. if it didn't I would quickly see the scopes not RTZ if they moved and weren't held firmly. IMO there isn't a way to truly test tracking unless its done statically and mounted in or on something that allows the scope to be adjusted without shooting it. Nightforce actually tests this in their factory, They themselves test tracking without shooting it, but rather banging it and putting back in their own fixture.

The problem with actually shooting the gun to check this is even on a steady benchrest your zero can wonder slightly. Bench technique is hard to maintain exactly enough because how the gun recoils off the bags effects its zero, heck even the way you are sitting at the bench does too. I see this magnified with my AR15's because the form of the rifle is hard for me to have consistently ride the shooting bags. Then of course you have accuracy of the rifle, which may be effected by barrel heat and lots of other factors.

lastly recoil resistance and holding zero. I personally think the actual scope will hold zero better than most people think, I have a theory that what people are seeing is scopes shifting in the rings ever so slightly, which is often seen in some sort of impact, which could include recoil.

kudos to you for testing this BSA, I wish more people would. it also shows you're interested in what exactly is happening.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 11/26/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
BSA, I suspect your scopes are actually tracking as they should, I have owned several NF scopes and checked I think 3. ALL of them track spot on and have ZERO error I could find. I can detect a tracking error within 1%. This brings up an issue I have talked about for years but the board mocks me and makes fun of my methods. Frankly I don't care because I know what I have come up with works. if it didn't I would quickly see the scopes not RTZ if they moved and weren't held firmly. IMO there isn't a way to truly test tracking unless its done statically and mounted in or on something that allows the scope to be adjusted without shooting it. Nightforce actually tests this in their factory, They themselves test tracking without shooting it, but rather banging it and putting back in their own fixture.

The problem with actually shooting the gun to check this is even on a steady benchrest your zero can wonder slightly. Bench technique is hard to maintain exactly enough because how the gun recoils off the bags effects its zero, heck even the way you are sitting at the bench does too. I see this magnified with my AR15's because the form of the rifle is hard for me to have consistently ride the shooting bags. Then of course you have accuracy of the rifle, which may be effected by barrel heat and lots of other factors.

lastly recoil resistance and holding zero. I personally think the actual scope will hold zero better than most people think, I have a theory that what people are seeing is scopes shifting in the rings ever so slightly, which is often seen in some sort of impact, which could include recoil.

kudos to you for testing this BSA, I wish more people would. it also shows you're interested in what exactly is happening.

Interesting, however the ATACR is spot on on every test I've done with it. The SHV on the Winchester model 70 308 also holds true in these tests. The 3 other Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 are showing the same exact issue. They climb ever so much with each increment on the dial. I see that as a mechanical issue within the scope itself. Like I said in an earlier thread though, this does not matter as much as some would think, as long as you know it's happening and you verify on hard targets at distance. One reason, among a few, that ballistic calculators have always been close, but not exact.

These tests are great for those wanting to make sure their scope is tracking true in the vertical plane, along the vertical axis. However, as some have mentioned before, what will get you is the wind. It will also show if you cant your rifle and your scope is not level to the world when you pull the trigger. Those that are interested, should check out their equipment to make sure there are no huge variances in the tracking, as well. I'm sure we have seen some scopes that showed weird results, even when trying to zero a rifle at 100 yards.

Just the science behind this, if a test shows me that a certain scope is tracking in a certain manner (even after a few tests), I can ascertain that the mechanicals of the scope are causing it. Not saying that they are bad, just that maybe the pitch on a screw inside the adjustment system may be slightly askew. Again, some of you guys should shoot this and see how your equipment fares. There's only one way to find that out, and a static test is often times misleading. Actual real world recoil from the rifle is the only way to be totally sure about what it's going to do in the field.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Higginez

Method seems solid.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okie john
I'm guessing that when you only have a few weeks to teach a bunch of people to adjust indirect fire, you simplify it as much as you can and accept a slight loss of precision.

I remember being taught Gradians at one point in time. 100 grads = 90 deg. Seems easier than Milrad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

That joker must be trolling for a visit from the homicide investigators.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

That joker must be trolling for a visit from the homicide investigators.

Yeah! What an idiot!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah! What an idiot!

Spot on

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Guy has to be kin to Big Stick.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Guy has to be kin to Big Stick.

Totarry!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Still as classic as its original release date…

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by joshf303

Still as classic as its original release date…

Agreed. Makes my guts hurt I laugh so hard.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by mathman
Who uses that to approximate 2000*pi?

The US military does.

Scope manufacturers do not, however. March got caught up in this early on when they were using 6400 “MRAD” per revolution. People thought the scopes were adjusting incorrectly until it was discovered that March was using the old military standard. They then changed to the proper 2000*pi mrad per revolution, like everyone else.

Math is the universal language, but we all need to agree on the rules, including rounding and approximation rules. wink

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Since I'm not shooting artillery fire.....not worried about it!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Wondering if you guys have done the tall target test to confirm your scopes tracking? Seems like an interesting thread topic, and a good check for your longrange rifles. Even though most of you probably confirm on hard targets, like I do when finding dope. Anyway, I've done some tests on some of my Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 rifle scopes and found only 1 is tracking real true. The others are all climbing just a little more than the dial reads. The one ATACR I have is spot on as well:

Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor, 7-35x56 ATACR:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Today's testing included a Winchester model 70 308 Winchester and a Tikka T3 Varmint 22-250. Both set up with a Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 MOAR reticle.

I was burning up some ammo from another rifle, so the Tikka was not shooting to its full potential accuracy wise. However, this is a tracking confirmation test:

And the target shot earlier today:
Zero consisted of the Winchester's load slightly off to the left side of the orange dot, and the Tikka's load slightly right of the orange dot, so as to not confuse the groups. As you can see, I ran out of elevation adjustment with the scope on the 308. However, it gets me to 1,000 yards. The 22-250 still had some left. The ATACR has a chidt ton of elevation left. 75 moa total, to be exact.

This guy Bryan Litz seems to think the tall target test is worth doing. Check out the video:

This is also a good test, if you are seeing POI shift at long range. Your scope may not be tracking in a vertical plane, or you could be canting the rifle/scope. My buddy is sending his Vortex Razor in because it fails a windage tracking test.

If any of you have done a tall target test, share your results here. Thanks!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ic-uhd-hunting-scope-review#Post17363385

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting test...have you tried it at 50 yards? I am assuming you are shooting at 100 yards. I don't see how you can verify tracking when you have so many things which can affect your results that you can't control. What about the wind, repeatable bench technique, mirage, shooter fatigue, 3 shot groups, canting, and the inherent accuracy of the rifle? I wonder if shooting closer at 50 yards would allow you to get a closer approximation to verifying tracking. Moving the scope adjustments changes your point of aim, now you are using your point of impact to verify the change in point of aim. Just some food for thought. Testing like this and discussing it will get us all closer to the truth.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (16gage, 160user, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,870 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,406
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.