Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Buford_T_Justice
First of all, I've been lurking here since the late 80s. Used to cut big timber with a guy who invented WiFi. I never thought things would get so bad that I would have to make an account but Stick can't do this all by himself anymore.

Second, how many rifles does Stick have to throw in the creek before you'll listen? HOW MANY SCOPES HAVE TO BE TAPED? HOW MANY STOCKS HAVE TO BE PAINTED HIDEOUS COLORS BEFORE YOU'LL SEE THE LIGHT? He does it all for you guys and you just won't learn.

You do have a lot in common with Big Stick.

He knows how to ruin a rifle and brag about it.

Liars do lie, this site hasn’t even here since the late 80’s

Logger that invented Wi-Fi had to be Al Gore.

And I’m sure he is proud to have you as a comrade in harms…

Listen. You've clearly never run a 1200cc saw 800 feet up in a slash pine in southern Wisconsin with 20 other loggers pounding hard ciders and singing Christmas carols in German. STICK HAS DONE THAT. That's how he knows a 257 Roberts became a pellet gun when the 6 Creed came out.

ALL STICK WANTS TO DO IS TEACH YOU WHICH CARTRIDGES WILL BOUNCE OFF OF DEER AND ELK. If you keep this up, he's going to have to post a picture of destroyed scope rings and a 4 point black tail. Why do you make him do it? Why won't you just throw a few rifles in the creek and LEARN FROM IT?!

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
First of all, I've been lurking here since the late 80s. Used to cut big timber with a guy who invented WiFi. I never thought things would get so bad that I would have to make an account but Stick can't do this all by himself anymore.

Second, how many rifles does Stick have to throw in the creek before you'll listen? HOW MANY SCOPES HAVE TO BE TAPED? HOW MANY STOCKS HAVE TO BE PAINTED HIDEOUS COLORS BEFORE YOU'LL SEE THE LIGHT? He does it all for you guys and you just won't learn.

Shrapnel - I do my best to stay out of Stick and Burns debates. That said, my read on Buford is that he's meant to be satirical. Unless scope tape really does increase penetration? 😂😇

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

Shrapnel - I do my best to stay out of Stick and Burns debates. That said, my read on Buford is that he's meant to be satirical. Unless scope tape really does increase penetration? 😂😇

THE ONLY THING SATIRICAL IS YOUR MATH SKILLS. A 30-30 drops 547 feet at 400 yards with -1300# of energy. Based on those numbers, and the fact that I ran a 900HP Yamaha with a 9 foot bar on a Christmas tree farm in Rockies cutting down 7 trees at a time, it's a scientific fact that a .270 can't kill deer past 17 yards. STOP RESISTING AND LEARN.

R
RPN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
[quote=shrapnel][quote=Buford_T_Justice]

Unless scope tape really does increase penetration? 😂😇

I don't think it increases penetration, but when properly applied it does make it harder to withdraw.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Coyote10
The Japs lost because the were communist sacks of schit and tried to mess with America.

Uh, ok.
I am pretty sure there is even more to that executive summary.

Not really. They bombed Pearl Harbor.
That makes them communist sacks of schit who messed with America. Then we kicked their jap azz. The end.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The Japs lost because the were communist sacks of schit and tried to mess with America.

Uh, ok.

That makes them communist sacks of schit who messed with America. Then we kicked their jap azz. The end.

The Japanese had a fascist regime leading up to and during WW2. Fascists hated communists (think Nazis and Soviets...). So, yes, bombed Pearl Harbor. No on communism.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

THE ONLY THING SATIRICAL IS YOUR MATH SKILLS. A 30-30 drops 547 feet at 400 yards with -1300# of energy. Based on those numbers, and the fact that I ran a 900HP Yamaha with a 9 foot bar on a Christmas tree farm in Rockies cutting down 7 trees at a time, it's a scientific fact that a .270 can't kill deer past 17 yards. STOP RESISTING AND LEARN.

laugh laugh laugh

Tarquin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hell yeah... trust the science

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Comparison of the 6.5 CM and 270 Win reveals the 270 Win may still be the best big game mountain/alpine/field carry chamber around outfitted with 22-inch barrel. When both are loaded with 143 and 145 eld-x bullets the 270 Win outperforms the 6.5 CM well past 500 yards and at 300 yards is significantly more potent in velocity and impact energy. You can make the case regarding recoil between the two, but honestly the 270 Win is a pussycat and far from teeth rattling. Perhaps the 6.5 CM is more accurate at 1,000 yards, but a 270 Win is plenty accurate at any sane hunting ranges and certainly at 500 yards. The 270 Win has around 200 fps greater velocity and around 230 ft-lbs more energy at impact at 300 yards. The 6.5 CM has a 0.10” less WD at 300 yards.

At 500 yards with 10 rpm twist the 270 Win still hold the edge at 150 fps greater impact velocity, shooting 6” flatter and retaining 180 ft-lbs greater impact energy, while only being 0.50” greater in wind drift in comparison to the 6.5 CM at 500 yards.

After 100 years with the 270 Win, the most modern of chambers such as the 6.5 Creedmoor can’t get by the 270 Win until you get out to around 700 yards. Nothing new here to see except the 270 Win with 10 rpm can still hunt with best of them with power to spare on big animals no matter what bias is brought into the conversation.

A 6.5 lbs, 22-inch barreled 270 Win rifle makes for a great carry gun that is performing at magnum speeds without the barrel length and recoil of a magnum.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Comparison of the 6.5 CM and 270 Win reveals the 270 Win may still be the best big game mountain/alpine/field carry chamber around outfitted with 22-inch barrel. When both are loaded with 143 and 145 eld-x bullets the 270 Win outperforms the 6.5 CM well past 500 yards and at 300 yards is significantly more potent in velocity and impact energy. You can make the case regarding recoil between the two, but honestly the 270 Win is a pussycat and far from teeth rattling. Perhaps the 6.5 CM is more accurate at 1,000 yards, but a 270 Win is plenty accurate at any sane hunting ranges and certainly at 500 yards. The 270 Win has around 200 fps greater velocity and around 230 ft-lbs more energy at impact at 300 yards. The 6.5 CM has a 0.10” less WD at 300 yards.

At 500 yards with 10 rpm twist the 270 Win still hold the edge at 150 fps greater impact velocity, shooting 6” flatter and retaining 180 ft-lbs greater impact energy, while only being 0.50” greater in wind drift in comparison to the 6.5 CM at 500 yards.

After 100 years with the 270 Win, the most modern of chambers such as the 6.5 Creedmoor can’t get by the 270 Win until you get out to around 700 yards. Nothing new here to see except the 270 Win with 10 rpm can still hunt with best of them with power to spare on big animals no matter what bias is brought into the conversation.

A 6.5 lbs, 22-inch barreled 270 Win rifle makes for a great carry gun that is performing at magnum speeds without the barrel length and recoil of a magnum.

Yup.
Just a great American hunting round.

280 rem with a 140 is pretty impressive as well.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Rossimp

No, Ross. This isn't how math works. Back when I was cutting down giant sequoias with a 1400cc hawgmaster and a 16 foot bar, I watched a guy try to shoot a squirrel at 500 yards with a .270. The squirrel caught the bullet and threw it on the ground. Now, if we're talking 1500 to 1700 feet above sea level and ocean temps in the Atlantic are below their 100 year average south of the Titanic wreck, a .270 firing a 130 grain goya bean beer can slammer is going to drop 127.5609945897 inches at 300 yards and will only have 19# of energy left. Good luck killing elk with that, Ross. NOW do you see why Stick has to throw rifles in the creek? HE DOES IT FOR ALL OF US. BECAUSE YOU POST THINGS LIKE THIS. STOP AND LEARN SOMETHING.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Uh, ok.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means

Last edited by Paradiddle; 11/20/23.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I also have trouble grasping the recoil argument from some folks. I have a Kimber Adirondack in 6.5CM. A 7-8# 270 isn’t much (if any) step up in recoil, and running suppressed, it’s even less.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I also have trouble grasping the recoil argument from some folks. I have a Kimber Adirondack in 6.5CM. A 7-8# 270 isn’t much (if any) step up in recoil, and running suppressed, it’s even less.

I never noticed much difference between a 6.5cm M70 FWT and a 280 M70 FWT. But I could definitely see a 10 year old feeling the difference.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Running suppressed, either is somewhere between a 223 and a 243, to me. Suppressors solve more issues than just noise. wink

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If I weren’t so old and creaky, I’d have a 8” 7-08 barrel fitted to my Heym 98 that’s currently a .308, and go forth and slay…

but I am, so I won’t. It’s a fine thing to contemplate though…. geezer daydreamin’🤔

Ok , I gotta bite , 8” 7-08 ? Kenneth

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
8" twist

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 75 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.