Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Why move around and place a e-caller, sit it next to you. No different than hand calling, and you don't give up your location by movement or too much scent.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Why move around and place a e-caller, sit it next to you. No different than hand calling, and you don't give up your location by movement or too much scent.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
TRN all about location, it don't come then move around and try again, there is a reason why some didn't come at first, you should of figured it out by now. I'm not a mag. dumper either I have the shot or let it walk and then come at another angle, and at times use same sounds, no big whoop. Dam you really lagging behind in this game. LOL

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
For about 20 years, I had a private duck hunting club that let me hunt coyotes on it. It was the best producing property I have ever had, and it is now owned by Colorado Parks and Wildlife, but, I now get to duck hunt on it.

Anyway, most of the time I went, usually 2-3 times a month, October thru April, I would get 2-3 coyotes each time, and this was on 710 acres.

A couple of times a year, I would get skunked, not even seeing a coyote. I'd go out again in a few days, and things would be back to normal.

When I got skunked, nothing worked, neither vocals or prey sounds, I would not even see a coyote.

The coyotes are the only ones who know why they did not come to the call THAT day, and they never told me.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Quote;A couple of times a year, I would get skunked, not even seeing a coyote. I'd go out again in a few days, and things would be back to normal. ; Unquote They did'nt hear you the first trip and happen to move back into area you was calling in or was drawn back into the area by your calling from days before. Late arrivals. LOL I called a spot just before dark with no takers, had fresh snow on the ground. The wind blew good that night and let up around 5:00 a.m. and I went out to check for tracks where I set up and found a fresh track from a coyote that came in that mourning. Had to be a 12–14-hour time difference. I got back out of the 1x2 mile section and did a drive around to see if coyote was still in section or if it left. Got to east side of section and found coyotes track going in and then just down road 50 yards found its track coming back out out. Thus the late arrival to check out my stand. The coyote most likely heard my calling day before but may have been turned back due to traffic on a paved highway and when things got quiet it decided to come check things out.

Last edited by TA 17 Rem; 11/28/23.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The wide variation of experiences we've had is extremely interesting to me, and I always like to compare notes with other successful coyote hunters.

I've talked to guys that turn on the caller and leave it run for the entire time on stand. They tell me they are successful.

My style of calling (handcalls) is 15-20 seconds of noise, then I'm quiet for 2-3 minutes, then repeat, and I am successful.

About the only thing I am certain of is, coyotes will always, always, try to approach from downwind.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TA-1-Rem, Now that you are giving all this EXPURT advise tell us and show us the Coyotes you have killed last season. you show me yours i'll show you mine. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Quote; About the only thing I am certain of is, coyotes will always, always, try to approach from downwind: Unquote Sure if you give them a reason too, they will. YOY coyote unsure of itself and the sound you are using, same for some older coyotes unsure of themselves, over aggressive sounds will cause a coyote to go down wind so it can smell what's there or see. I prefer to use sounds that get them excited then they tend to ignore caution and charge right in. Set up so travel to you is much easier, use a cut bank for example or fence line. Depends on area but some will come to 200 yards before they try to go down wind, should be dead at this point if set up right.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Been calling, hunting coyotes for over 30 years, I don't have to show or prove anything to you.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
k22hornet, I almost agree with you, but I have had Coyotes come from up wind and never see me and hit me more than once. Rio7

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TA 17 Rem, You just a beginner, I'm 85 been calling sense I was 14 years old last year my score was 332 Coyotes and 63 Bobcats, not bad for a old man and i can show pictures of most of them I think you have let your Alligator mouth over load your Canary Ass Hole. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You only call hunt in Texas behind locked gates so what do you know?? LMAO.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by RIO7
k22hornet, I almost agree with you, but I have had Coyotes come from up wind and never see me and hit me more than once. Rio7

'Almost agree with you', lol, those are better odds than my wife agreeing with me!

I have had them come to me with the wind at their tail a few times as well, just not often. They start out upwind, and as they get closer, they swing out to try and get downwind. I like to bark at them to get them to stop, before they hit my downwind scent cone.

I do tend to hunt very open areas, and guys that hunt tight cover might have different experiences.

I had the opportunity to laser a coyote coming in from dead downwind of me. I put my laser on scan, picked him up at about 775yds and lasered him on the approach. At 491yds, this coyote jumped into the sage and took off.

Fascinating animals!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TA 17 Rem, I do call a lot of private land with permission, Texas is mostly private land but i am not the only one calling Coyotes in Texas on private land. Enough excuses put up or shut up. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
But how many call on same ranch as you, and yes I seen some of your pictures of single kills mostly which tells a lot, also in pictures you put up how many was trapped before you laid rifle on them for hero shot?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I don't call or hunt Texas and you don't call anywhere else, so my numbers are unimportant.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
And since you only call Texas your skills are limited, miss one just go find another. LOL

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
you or anyone else send me your cell number in a text and I'll get you some pictures. LOL

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TA, You sound like Biden Voter To Me. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
getting little personal aren't we?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

714 members (163bc, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 76 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,723
Posts18,494,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.