Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Morgan silver dollar. And 1921 was the last year for them. Has about .785 ounces or so of silver in it.

Bb

You are partially correct, they were made from 1878 to 1921, but the United States Mint started making them again in 2021 for the 100 year anniversary.
The USMint made them in three different varieties this year uncirculated, proof and reverse proof. from 1878 to 1921 they were made from 90% silver, the 2021 up is 99.9% silver.
Also the OP's coin has no mint mark meaning it was made at the Philadelphia Mint

GB1

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Morgan silver dollar. And 1921 was the last year for them. Has about .785 ounces or so of silver in it.

Bb

You are partially correct, they were made from 1878 to 1921, but the United States Mint started making them again in 2021 for the 100 year anniversary.
The USMint made them in three different varieties this year uncirculated, proof and reverse proof. from 1878 to 1921 they were made from 90% silver, the 2021 up is 99.9% silver.
Also the OP's coin has no mint mark meaning it was made at the Philadelphia Mint

Bad or good made at Philly?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have a very common 1921 Morgan. worth around $25-30 P marked are the most common.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My dad got these coins when my grandfather died. I told him today, worthless or not, there is a reason why he kept them.

I was just curious. Didn't know some here would make a soap opera out of it

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
To the ones that actually helped on info. Thank you

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Same as these.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
@OP, Cool coin. Enjoy your time with your dad.

My dad had a small metal tray (8"x10" +/-) with compartments that he used to collect coins. Had subway tokens, coins from Philippines and Japan from his time in the Navy during WWII. Also, all sorts of old silver U.S. coins, including at least one three cent piece. Nowhere to be found when he passed. Assuming one of the relatives made off with it while I was living in PA. As above, purely emotional attachment for me. But expect whoever made off with it cashed it out. I hate thieves.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Morgan Dollars are bad luck. I’ll PM you my address so you can send it to me and I’ll dispose of it for you.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A junk silver dollar will fetch $25-30 on eBay, or $75 at a local estate auction. People around here are strange.

Last auction I went to, I bought a bag of silver half dollars for $7 each. All the silver dollars went for $75 each.

Last edited by gregintenn; 11/24/23.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've been saving Silver Dollars for about 70 years, had over 100, but have started to gift them to my kids and grandkids.
Pictured is what I have left.
This year for their Stocking Stuffer I'm giving my three son's what's shown in the middle of the picture. New Silver Proof Morgan from the mint plus two old Morgans, 1878 & 1921. (First year and last year they were made) I already gave them the Silver Proof of the Peace Dollar (2023 along with an original 1923.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"The older I get, the better I was"
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gregintenn
A junk silver dollar will fetch $25-30 on eBay, or $75 at a local estate auction. People around here are strange.

Last auction I went to, I bought a bag of silver half dollars for $7 each. All the silver dollars went for $75 each.

[Linked Image]

My local pawn shop occasionally gets someone in selling him their silver dollars, Peace and Morgans. He must get them for a song, because he then puts them in the glass case for $20.00 apiece. That's what I paid for those pictured above, and for these below.

[Linked Image]

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I love silver coins. I need to find a silver Ike that someone has opened from the wrapper, I have several but no way I’m opening them.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I sold my small collection this past summer.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Son in law Chris is.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
$crooge McDuck is.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
B
Kinda looks a little off there are a lot of fakes out there

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

[Linked Image]

My local pawn shop occasionally gets someone in selling him their silver dollars, Peace and Morgans. He must get them for a song, because he then puts them in the glass case for $20.00 apiece. That's what I paid for those pictured above, and for these below.

[Linked Image]

I am usually a buyer at $20. Probably at $25 right now.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Back in the early 60's when they started making the "wafer" quarters, you could still get Franklin halves, silver quarters, Mercury dimes and Buffalo nickels. Curious, I began to hang onto some of them.
I'm not a "numismatist" by any means, but I was able to hang onto about $15 (face value) in silver coins.
Working a construction job back in the 70's. A general foreman was watching our crew set a big pump motor. During a pause, i noticed him clinking some coins in his hand. He had five Franklin halves.
The rest of the crew laughed at me because i paid him $5 for the five of them!
I still have all five! They're worth about $15/ea!
Found a trophy somebody threw in tgevtrash. It was an acrylic block with a silver dollar embedded in the back. Hit it one time with a hammer and the 1923 silver dollar popped out on my hand!

Forget which years, but two or three years of nickels contain silver.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Back in the early 60's when they started making the "wafer" quarters, you could still get Franklin halves, silver quarters, Mercury dimes and Buffalo nickels. Curious, I began to hang onto some of them.
I'm not a "numismatist" by any means, but I was able to hang onto about $15 (face value) in silver coins.
Working a construction job back in the 70's. A general foreman was watching our crew set a big pump motor. During a pause, i noticed him clinking some coins in his hand. He had five Franklin halves.
Found a trophy somebody threw in tgevtrash. It was an acrylic block with a silver dollar embedded in the back. Hit it one time with a hammer and the 1923 silver dollar popped out on my hand!

The “war nickels”. 1942-1945 I think. They weren’t even half silver, but did contain some.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

The “war nickels”. 1942-1945 I think. They weren’t even half silver, but did contain some.

Not all 42’s but some, 43-45 were. They have a large mint mark above Monticello on the back and contain 35% silver.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 204guy, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,767
Posts18,515,462
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.