Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I have an early 80’s REM. 700 BDL 30-06 that shoots well but the trigger is, well, a factory REM. trigger. I’ve used Timney’s before, but I hear a lot of good reviews on the TT also. Not looking for an 8oz. target trigger pull, just a nice clean 3lb. pull for a hunting gun.

Thanks for your replies in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Elk Country

Last edited by elkcountry; 11/23/23.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I was fortunate to have Norm Thompson tune my BDL 270 Win trigger to a crisp 2 1/2 lbs. He's passed sadly. I hear the Shilen triggers are better that the Timneys. Not sure if they still sell them.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t believe you’d be disappointed with a Timney.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I prefer Trigger Tech

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They are both really good.

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have used both, they are easily installed and both triggers perform equally well. Get the one you find the best deal on and you will be well pleased.....Good luck...Hb

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Old Walker triggers are not that hard to adjust. I have a few original that came at 2 or 2.5 lbs. I also adjusted few from 4.5 to 3.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wide or narrow trigger shoe will help narrow down the choice. I have mostly timney and like the wide blade but two trigger techs I have are crisp, especially the diamond in my Rim-X.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Trigger Tech. No brainer

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've owned both and would select a TT every time.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have good luck with TT Primary and they are on sale at Red Hawk.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Have several of both.

My Timneys have all been great, my 3 Triggertech specials and my primary are also great. My TT Diamond was a steaming pile of dangerous dog crap. Couldn't get it to go below 12-13oz safely while being advertised as safely adjusting down to 4oz.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the replies all!!

Any others?

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by elkcountry
I have an early 80’s REM. 700 BDL 30-06 that shoots well but the trigger is, well, a factory REM. trigger. I’ve used Timney’s before, but I hear a lot of good reviews on the TT also. Not looking for an 8oz. target trigger pull, just a nice clean 3lb. pull for a hunting gun.

Elk Country
I've installed several of both of 'em over the years and my customers have all raved about the Trigger Tech.. FWIW..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
TT for me as well. I have 5 or 6 of them, and some replaced timneys and they are fantastic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Walker trigger works fine if you follow directions adjusting them and keep them clean. However for peace of mind I have replaced a few of mine with Jards.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish TT made a replacement for the Rem 600/660 trigger.....

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
With so many “Aye’s” for Trigger Tech, what attributes can you aver that put’s them ahead of Timney?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have both, and they're both great, but I prefer the shape of the TriggerTech better than the wide/flat Timney.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ky221
Have several of both.

My Timneys have all been great, my 3 Triggertech specials and my primary are also great. My TT Diamond was a steaming pile of dangerous dog crap. Couldn't get it to go below 12-13oz safely while being advertised as safely adjusting down to 4oz.
Did you have the TT Diamond in a factory 700 or Custom action?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
With so many “Aye’s” for Trigger Tech, what attributes can you aver that put’s them ahead of Timney?
Its really nice to be able to adjust the trigger without taking the stock off, I also like the narrower shoe on the TT

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

There is really nothing the TriggerTech doesn't do better than Timney except have a low price tag. I have had a couple of Timneys and never found them any better than a well tuned Walker trigger. If you don't have the moxy to tune a Walker trigger, or lack confidence in your work, then by all means buy a Timney. It will get you to the same place .. but no further. I have a Timney Calvin Elite. I would really like to like it but I can't tune the final bit of creep out of it. I have two TT Specials in 700s and one in a Kimber that again, I couldn't get that last "hiccup" out of despite having several others that tuned nicely. In each case it was no more difficult to get to a pound than to back the screw clear out, then set it in 1 click. Install. Check. Shoot. No additional fuss, nothing getting back out of "tune" over time. I also have a single Diamond for a 700 clone (side bolt release, not trigger-mounted) which currently is in a Christensen Ranger .22 set at about 4 ounces. I like it a lot.

Compared to Timney, I guess the consistent win by comparison for TriggerTech is the TT triggers don't seem to have any creep or drag at all where it is detectable, and seems like it can't be completely removed, from the Timneys.

I'd still take a Jewell over TriggerTech but that's a different story.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by elkcountry
... just a nice clean 3lb. pull for a hunting gun.

Elk Country

Adjust the Walker trigger in it and save your money. I have two Timneys and one TT to replace some of the "improved" X-mark triggers. Those three and most of the Walker triggers are set at about three pounds and I can't tell enough difference to warrant the extra money. If you want to get lighter than about 2 1/2 lbs then yes, upgrade.

Some will blast the Walker trigger as being unsafe. I've never experienced the problem with any of mine but then again I keep mine clean.
Until I do I'll stick with the Walkers.

YMMV.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a Timney trigger in a Win Mod-70 and a Trigger Tech in a Rem 700. They are both good triggers. If I had to pick only one I would give the edge to the Trigger Tech.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Both are great triggers, the Trigger Tech seemed easier to install.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by T_O_M

There is really nothing the TriggerTech doesn't do better than Timney except have a low price tag. I have had a couple of Timneys and never found them any better than a well tuned Walker trigger. If you don't have the moxy to tune a Walker trigger, or lack confidence in your work, then by all means buy a Timney. It will get you to the same place .. but no further. I have a Timney Calvin Elite. I would really like to like it but I can't tune the final bit of creep out of it. I have two TT Specials in 700s and one in a Kimber that again, I couldn't get that last "hiccup" out of despite having several others that tuned nicely. In each case it was no more difficult to get to a pound than to back the screw clear out, then set it in 1 click. Install. Check. Shoot. No additional fuss, nothing getting back out of "tune" over time. I also have a single Diamond for a 700 clone (side bolt release, not trigger-mounted) which currently is in a Christensen Ranger .22 set at about 4 ounces. I like it a lot.

Compared to Timney, I guess the consistent win by comparison for TriggerTech is the TT triggers don't seem to have any creep or drag at all where it is detectable, and seems like it can't be completely removed, from the Timneys.

Thanks for the education.

RE: Jewell triggers
I have three. One came with my Borden custom. It was set by Mr. Borden, so it works as it should. The other two I won’t be using. I replaced them with Timney’s, which, I much prefer. The replaced Jewell’s were mushy. That is not the goal in a, supposedly, top of the line trigger. The second strike was the non-existence of customer service from Jewell’s. Don’t understand that place AT ALL! Seems like a secret society. Anyway, I don’t care for their triggers. I may be the only one in the shooting world. Jewell gets a lot of accolades from many shooters, but never from me.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have both..but prefer the TT.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Triggertech for the win. I had a timney about 20 years ago with the sear cut at an angle that was terrible and that soured me towards timney most times. It was visually obvious and timney didn't seem interested in helping out at that time. Triggertech has great customer service in the odd chance you night need it. I just bought 3 more triggertechs yesterday.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 11/25/23.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've switched to Calvin Elite 2-stage. They are my favorite so far. I do like my HVR TS as well but Jewel is no more

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have various triggers from both and they are all good. I have confidence to hunt with either brand based on my experiences. There is not a wrong answer. Look for the features, trigger shoes, styles, colors, deals, etc and choose either brand.

My last few bolt builds have all had Trigger Techs, as that is what the smiths preferred. My next build will probably have a TT as well.

I have a 700 Mt Rifle in the back of the safe that has not seen much use lately and needs a trigger. I want to try a Calvin Elite and will use this as my excuse.

I ordered a Timney single stage, skeletonized AR trigger this past week on sale from Red Hawk. It was comparable to the TT in price so I liked the look and the singe stage. I need a 2nd AR trigger but will try this one out then decide which next; possibly the TT to try something different. The point is both companies produce good products.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple TT AR triggers. They are great....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have some rifles with Jewel triggers, some with Timney, a few Bixn-andy, but more TT triggers.

Jewel, is my least favorite, but that’s due to the tactile feeling on my finger of their trigger.

They all work. No complaints.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
I have both, and they're both great, but I prefer the shape of the TriggerTech better than the wide/flat Timney.

FWIW, Timney’s can be ordered with a narrow shoe.

All of my Rem 700’s have Timney’s. No shade on Trigger Tech. Just no reason to change.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I put wide trigger shoes on most everything....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Just for sake of the discussion, I gotta say, the two stage trigger on the Sig Cross rifles is pretty good.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just for sake of the discussion, I gotta say, the two stage trigger on the Sig Cross rifles is pretty good.

I’d little experience shooting a rifle with a 2 stage trigger, until I bought a Tikka SuperVarmint that came with one. I liked it a lot on the varmint rifle.

I’m not sure about a big fur rifle. I guess it would be just fine once a guy got used to it.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have Triggertech in my R700 and it is great. Timney also makes a great product. You can't really go wrong.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Triggertech for me. I've had a few timney's that were terrible but it's been about 15 years ago. I did rifle basics and shilen before triggertech came out but everything has been triggertech since then.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 11/28/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have Timneys and original Walkers. The Walkers are totally safe and very adjustable if you keep them clean and adjust them properly. I have a couple of re-built ones that are every bit as good as my Timneys. Can't comment on TT.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have five or six rifles with Timney triggers in my safe, and while they are a definite improvement over the triggers they replaced they just are not as crisp at letoff as the one Trigger Tech Special I have on my Model Seven---and that one replaced a Jewell. I wish they were all Trigger Tech.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
ive used both and prefer the trigger tech.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska

FWIW, Timney’s can be ordered with a narrow shoe.

Good to know! I haven't deliberately ordered a Timney for anything, yet. The two I have came on Fieldcraft rifles, and they have the wide/flat shoe. They are great triggers, just feel different.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Get which one you can find on sale. The are both good. Don't over think it, you probably aren't shooting long range competition, and deer can't tell the difference.

Last edited by reivertom; 11/30/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Timney for me. Tried 2 TT’s and did not like them. Main thing for me was the safety detent was almost non-existent. Too easy to flip safety off accidentally. And safety knob stuck out too far. No problem with any of my Timneys.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I’ve had a few hiccups with the Walker trigger. I put a TT in my model 700 last year. It was easy to install and I love it. I would agree that the safety goes off a little more easily than the Walker, but that is not a problem for me the way I use the rifle.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've used well tuned Walkers ( 2 3/4#) Shilen, Timney, Rifle Basix, Dayton-Traister, Kepplinger Single Set, Jewell and Triger Tech ( thanks Redneck!) eventually I went to the TT Special. Loved the rest "except for two reasons".

1. Once set, everything is fitted to such close tolerances, a "sage seed" locked up my rifle (Shilen) have had other get gunked up in rain/snow hunts. TT's do not get gunked up to the point it disables the rifle. They don't develop "creep", like Walkers usually end up.
2. As I got older, my hands got stiffer, especially in cold temps. I like the fact I can start out the trip with a 1-1.5# Trigger and if turns colder or hands act up, with a simple wrench, tighten it up to 3# if my hands get too stiff to "finesse" the trigger, ha.

Mind you, I grew up using rifles right off the shelf, some with the most sloppy, spongey, stiff, nightmare triggers. Missed alot...learned alot. All I needed was "time and money" to sort out my "fevered, Rifle Loony Mind's Desire" of the Perfect Rifle Set-up. smile Trigger Tech baby, yeah! PS Yeah, I even had a TT Special put in that new to me Mark V Ultra Lightweight 338/06, oh yeah!

tt

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/02/23.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Three TT on Rem 700s. Two Timneys on Win 70 classics. All set to 2.5 lb via trigger scale. I can't tell the difference at the bench or in the field.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both, and both are good/great. IME, the performance or perceived ‘quality’ of the trigger, is somewhat affected by the action it is installed in and how they interface.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A couple of days ago I installed a TT Primary in my recently acquired M700 Ti, set the pull to 2 1/2# and am very pleased. PSA was selling them for $120 a week or two ago. Hard to pass up.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Thanks for the education.

RE: Jewell triggers
I have three. One came with my Borden custom. It was set by Mr. Borden, so it works as it should. The other two I won’t be using. I replaced them with Timney’s, which, I much prefer. The replaced Jewell’s were mushy. That is not the goal in a, supposedly, top of the line trigger. The second strike was the non-existence of customer service from Jewell’s. Don’t understand that place AT ALL! Seems like a secret society. Anyway, I don’t care for their triggers. I may be the only one in the shooting world. Jewell gets a lot of accolades from many shooters, but never from me.

Question .. what pull weight are your Jewell triggers set at?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Trigger tech

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I replaced all my timneys with trigger tech and never looked back.
I have diamond two stage, primaries and specials, and every single one of them blows a timney out of the water.
The next step up would be Bix'n Andy.

Love Ksmïthïnhïzzër/fląvöřÐ.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own several Jewel, Timney and TriggerTech triggers. All I buy now are TriggerTech’s.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TriggerTech for the win! For me anyway.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,479
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.