Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hear ya go, an article written by an honest-to-goodness “gunriter” in an actual magazine (if e-zines qualify, a subject for another time) that re-enforces all your core beliefs and notions about sporting arms. He makes some excellent points, and if you, like the author ignore some pertinent and inconvenient truths you’ll come away from reading it feeling fully vindicated about all those naysayer posts you’ve made. Enjoy!

https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/confessions-of-a-lead-slinging-luddite/?mc_cid=5d1b00f36d

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course many of the points he makes are true, but he seems lost in the mists of time, dreaming about a world that is long gone, but doing his level best to recreate it, if only in his imagination. That's certainly one way to go through life...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd never heard of Roger Pinckney, but I sure enjoyed the article that you have posted.

I don't agree with his statement that the 250-3000 is superior to the 243 or that the 87 grain bullet is useless, but everyone has an opinion, some even based on actual experience.

"The 250 Savage, invented in 1915, was the first commercial round to crack 3,000 feet per second and was marketed as the 250-3000, though that was with a useless 87-grain bullet. The round really comes into its own with the 100-grain round-nose at 2,800, far superior to the much newer 243 Winchester that tends to get sketchy up against thick-skinned mature boars, often to a hunter’s dismay and peril.".

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Pappy,
Fun little article and I find myself agreeing with most of it on one level. But I enjoy my variable scope, synthetic stock, decoppering powder, and high-tech bullets at the same time. Thanks!

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Of course many of the points he makes are true, but he seems lost in the mists of time, dreaming about a world that is long gone, but doing his level best to recreate it, if only in his imagination. That's certainly one way to go through life...

I do that, a lot, but occasionally achieve a breakthrough, especially with guns. I mean, how many 98s can one old fart actually use?

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ttpoz
Pappy,
Fun little article and I find myself agreeing with most of it on one level. But I enjoy my variable scope, synthetic stock, decoppering powder, and high-tech bullets at the same time. Thanks!

I singed up for that free daily when I subscribed to the regular magazine. Enjoying both, along with Sports Afield. Lets hope they survive.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Enjoyed that - Thanks for posting the link!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good reading, and thanks for posting. I guess I'm somewhat of a luddite when it comes to that stuff. Sometimes I sort of miss the days when I could easily obtain things like 6.5mm bullets for my 6.5x55, before the demand for them increased so much.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Modern cartridge components have improved/changed things about a hundred time more than any new hedstamp has. Not that other improvements haven't, but a great bullet means a lot more than less body taper or altered shoulder angle.

Think shotguns for instance. New gauges/headstamps didn't appear & change the game, same 12 or 20, just better stuff inside.

Enjoyed the article, thanks Pap

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There are a lot of us old phart gun nuts but sadly the guys buying the latest whizbang rifles and cartridges are the ones spending their money and thus driving the market for things that go BANG.
OTOH I just rebarreled a 308 to 6.5 Creed and love it.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent article filled with truths, many too painful for "modern man" to acknowledge.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
He's got a good grasp on firearms, but not the people who use them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Excellent article filled with truths, many too painful for "modern man" to acknowledge.

It also includes several technical errors:

A-Square Partition? A-Square's soft-nose bullet was the Dead Tough, a very different design. He may have been thinking of the Swift A-Frame.

Useless 87-grain bullet? Speer's 87-grain Hot-Cor is designed for the .250, with a jacket as thick as their 100-grain .25 Hot-Cor, and works well on deer

He is also mistaken about using 100-grain round-nose bullets in the .250. The original Savage bullet was a spitzer, though not as pointy as many today. I have an original box of Savage factory ammo which featured a 100-grain spitzer.

Karamojo Bell did not switch to the 7x57 due to being "wearied of searching for ammo for his 6.5x54." Instead the Austrian 6.5x54 ammo he ordered in large lots started splitting cases upon firing.

"Most modern chamberings of 7x57 use the standard American twist-rate of 1:10." I have yet to measure the twist on any of the several commercial American 7x57s I've owned, both military and commercial, and found a 1:10 twist. Most American sporters feature a twist around 1:9, the same as for most other American 7mm cartridges. 1:10 is the standard American twist-rate for .30 caliber rounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've not cracked open an issue of that magazine in years, but recall that such errors were more common there than in other magazines.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I made it through paragraph 3.

there's not been a significant advance in firearms technology since the 1930's

Oh, please. Movin' on.

Oh wait, he did do me a favor. Just one more writer I can skip.

Last edited by Puddle; 11/25/23.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good article, thanks. If you look at it from a hunter's perspective what he uses and writes about will still work for a lot of hunting. Got to admit I like and shoot the old rifles, Best deer I ever shot was with a 7x57. I guess he never tried the 30-06. That ones been in continuous production for 120 years and still popular today.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice article. I enjoyed reading it on this rainy morning.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by 5sdad

It also includes several technical errors:

Not at all uncommon, both in print, and especially from YouTubers, even some of my favorites. Saw one just yesterday that said Kimber’s been making 1911s for “40 years”.

Can’t say I’ve ever caught you in error, but I live in hope😛

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For subscribers, Petzal’s got a great one in the latest issue of Gray’s on one of my favorite subjects: Lunch.

That one contains an error of omission, he neglected the leftover Thanksgiving turkey sandwich, a staple of us in the East during deer season.

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/25/23.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Pappy348
For subscribers, Petzal’s got a great one in the latest issue on one of my favorite subjects: Lunch.

Oughta make the Daily eventually…

That one contains an error of omission, he neglected the leftover Thanksgiving turkey sandwich, a staple of us in the East during deer season.

I hope to have ours gone so to start over at Christmas. Thanksgiving dinner for 8 - 11 with rug-rats - would have fed 50, at least. Walked in, and there were two tables of food set up, food stacked in the hall, food stacked out on the deck. (dogs never even tried it!). I then made 4 trips from our car bringing in more food, and got reamed the next day after finding the buns still in the car, under some cloth grocery bags...

So my wife invited a neighbor couple over last night and made a whole new complete Thanksgiving dinner for about 8.... Turkey and all. The only leftovers from the day before served was some bean dish.

I'd go "ice" my tendonitis, but no way I'm opening that fridge/freezer!

Last edited by las; 11/25/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (22kHornet, 219 Wasp, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,092
Posts18,501,938
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.