Ever had a gator come after ya?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
^^^^^ sheepshead.

+2.

Those small trout are probably too watery. The red would be way under size here.

Last edited by local_dirt; 11/25/23.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by efw
Looks like a blast Paul love the multi-species aspect.

It's not unusual to come back from a marsh trip with 5 different species. Specs, reds and largemouth bass are the most common. Black drum, flounder, and white trout are regulars. The Sheepshead was a first from a kayak and my first ever on an artificial bait.

Paul, have you ever tried shrimp tipped jigs for the Reds?

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Ever had a gator come after ya?

I have only had 2 interesting encounters with gators. I was in Davis Bayou in Ocean Springs and had a large gator swim directly out of a cove right toward me. When it got about 10 feet away, it started flaking me until I got away from the cove. It submerged and the bubble trail led back to the cove. I paddled up a little creek on the opposite side of the cove and heard baby gators sounding their call.

Another time I was walking my dog along the banks of a lagoon when a smallish gator exploded out of the water, jaws popping toward Shadow. I instinctively jumped in between them and it lunged at me. We backed away and I saw a number of babies in the water where she came from. I went back a while later with a camera and enticed her to come at me again. This is her. You can see a few babies in the lagoon behind her. She took her motherly role seriously.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Unless they have babies, they aren't normally aggressive.

They will get after a topwater bait.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by efw
Looks like a blast Paul love the multi-species aspect.

It's not unusual to come back from a marsh trip with 5 different species. Specs, reds and largemouth bass are the most common. Black drum, flounder, and white trout are regulars. The Sheepshead was a first from a kayak and my first ever on an artificial bait.

Paul, have you ever tried shrimp tipped jigs for the Reds?

Yep. I'll tip artificial baits when the bite is slow.

My favorite bait is a Slayer Baits Sinister Swim Tail 3.5" in Houdini color. That's what you see hanging out of the sheepshead's mouth. These baits are lightly infused with a scent. Not like Gulp baits that need to stay in a broth. They don't stink up your tackle box either. They have incredible action. As I slowly troll the bait along, I can see my rod tip vibrating from their action. Few other baits do that at slow speeds. They are also very tough. It's not uncommon to catch 10-12 fish before they start coming apart.

https://slayerinc.com/product-category/soft-plastic-baits/sinister-swim-tail/

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How can there only be 1 high and 1 low tide per day?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
^^^^^ sheepshead.

+2.

Those small trout are probably too watery. The red would be way under size here.

The red was right at 16" That's the lower limit in LA. We can keep 5, only one of which can be greater than 27" I like the smaller trout. LA just changed the creel limit from 25 per person to 15 per person and the lower size limit from 12" to 13" I had half a dozen or so between 12-13.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rufous
How can there only be 1 high and 1 low tide per day?

It's that way across much of the Gulf Coast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You should start a thread about the fish you catch with pictures.

It would be fun.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

It would be fun.

I don't post a ton of pictures because I don't take a lot of pictures, and I don't want my face all over the internet like you, you fatass drunk vodka-nosed moron.
I don't need to feed my ego, like you do.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

It would be fun.

I don't post a ton of pictures because I don't take a lot of pictures, and I don't want my face all over the internet like you, you fatass drunk vodka-nosed moron.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
^^^^^ sheepshead.

+2.

The red was right at 16" That's the lower limit in LA. We can keep 5, only one of which can be greater than 27" I like the smaller trout. LA just changed the creel limit from 25 per person to 15 per person and the lower size limit from 12" to 13" I had half a dozen or so between 12-13.

Paul, I got to a point with trout that I rarely keep them. I don't know what they're like in Louisiana, but here in Florida by the time you fillet them and cook them there's not much left because they have a lot of water in the meat. Reds are a completely different story. I'll eat them all day long. An easy way to cook them is in tin foil. Spread some butter on the bottom of the foil, lay the fillets in, mayonnaise, butter, sliced onion on top. Little fresh ground black pepper, paprika sprinkled on top or Tony's. Wrap them up sealed in the foil and cook them on the grill. They're done when you're ready for them. As long as you don't pierce the foil, you don't ruin the fish. Pour the sauce and the onions from the tin foil over the fish when you serve. Delicious. Gotta love some Reds. Sometimes do them in a cast iron skillet if it's not a big crowd. Do snook the same way.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Pedal kayaks are the way to go for fishing and photography.

Of course you would have a " pedal" kayak
🤣

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Pedal kayaks are the way to go for fishing and photography.

Of course you would have a " pedal" kayak
🤣

Of course! I even wear spandex for a more authentic experience. I really want to catch a Halibut off my yak.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
^^^^^ sheepshead.

+2.

Paul, I got to a point with trout that I rarely keep them. I don't know what they're like in Louisiana, but here in Florida by the time you fillet them and cook them there's not much left because they have a lot of water in the meat. Reds are a completely different story. I'll eat them all day long. An easy way to cook them is in tin foil. Spread some butter on the bottom of the foil, lay the fillets in, mayonnaise, butter, sliced onion on top. Little fresh ground black pepper, paprika sprinkled on top or Tony's. Wrap them up sealed in the foil and cook them on the grill. They're done when you're ready for them. As long as you don't pierce the foil, you don't ruin the fish. Pour the sauce and the onions from the tin foil over the fish when you serve. Delicious. Gotta love some Reds. Sometimes do them in a cast iron skillet if it's not a big crowd. Do snook the same way.

I love redfish any way it's cooked. The way you described sounds outstanding. When I get larger ones, I'll grill steaks. A little salt, lemon pepper and Tony's. I drizzle them with lemon butter. That keeps it moist, causes a flare-up and gives it a light char. With this one and the sheepshead, I'll cast iron skillet blacken them. Specks are just so-so to me. I fry them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It would be fun.

Just so we are clear you don't have any pictures and you won't be starting a thread such as the one Paul did in which you act like an azz?

I am pretty sure Paul never posted his mug in this thread, just the fish he caught that you bitched about being watery and to small.

Just Checkin?

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am pretty sure Paul never posted his mug in this thread,

Damn, where are my manners.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

It would be fun.

Just so we are clear you don't have any pictures and you won't be starting a thread such as the one Paul did in which you act like an azz?

I am pretty sure Paul never posted his mug in this thread, just the fish he caught that you bitched about being watery and to small.

Just Checkin?

You're a phony. You always have been. You charge way too much for your copycat rifles. You're a diluted yuktard getting all your "information" from the neocon pipeline.. And you're a vodka-nosed red faced fatass drunk. Period.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

It would be fun.

Just Checkin?

By the way, I never bitched about any fish. I made a comment about the texture of a fish of which I've caught thousands. More than you will ever see in your useless lifetime. (Lies, just like you always do). Now go back to your vodka bottle and your cot, you pathetic drunk.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am pretty sure Paul never posted his mug in this thread,

Damn, where are my manners.

You 2 have the the purtyist blue eyes. But.

Quit posting that all over the internet. It's frowned on by those who lack pictures.

You're taking away their safe space where everyone is equal, even if they never do shit but shit post.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, AdamT204, 12 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 731 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,959
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.