Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by saddlesore
A person needs to find out if their engine needs an emulsifier or demulsifier. One is for engines that has a water filter and one that doesn't. Putting the wrong one in doesn't do much good.
Are there diesel engines that do not have water separator fuel filters?

Don't think I've seen one.

They learned from the Olds 350.

Most drillers of the time in the oilfield ran them as "crew cars" on off-road, drilling rig diesel. For that reason, they were popular in oilfield towns because many non-drillers in those towns ended up driving them also. Despite their terrible reputation and an ensuing class action suite because of it, people in those towns would mount a seperator up near the radiator brackets to filter water out and with a few other tricks, run them 250,000 miles plus down oilfield roads without problems and really good fuel mileage. I do remember my mom's 1982 Olds 88 gelling during a snow storm bringing us to school. I don't remember it getting below zero in that town, so I'm guessing it was 5 or 10 degrees, though could've been colder. Back then, some would mix ATF as an anti-gelling agent.

I remember the 5.7 diesels being in Oldsmobiles, pre-6.2 Chevy / GMC pickups and maybe Buicks. Not sure what else they ran them in.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where we live it rarely gets below 20* so fuel gelling is not much of an issue. When the nights get down to freezing, I usually plug in my diesel trucks just because it makes me feel better. Don’t most diesels have a provision for heating the fuel to keep it from gelling?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
huh?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 45_100
Where we live it rarely gets below 20* so fuel gelling is not much of an issue. When the nights get down to freezing, I usually plug in my diesel trucks just because it makes me feel better. Don’t most diesels have a provision for heating the fuel to keep it from gelling?

Mine has an engine block heater.

I'm not aware of a fuel heater.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Ram diesels have used a fuel heater since 2012, if not earlier in the chassis mounted filter/water trap.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The 7.3 powerstrokes have a heating element under the filter, which is on top of the engine in the valley.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Regular Power Service when it gets cold. A bottle of Red Power Service 911 on stand by for really cold.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heated fuel filters were a thing on semi trucks for a long time (Davco, usually). Couldn't even spec them on the last two Kenworth's I bought. We spend a good bit more money on Power Service, just in case. Fuel return rates are down, too, so it's all harder to keep from turning into cream cheese.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In all my years working in Alaska and living 60 miles south of Canada I've never put anything but fuel in a diesel....and I have 3 currently.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Ram diesels have used a fuel heater since 2012, if not earlier in the chassis mounted filter/water trap.

My company truck is a Chevrolet

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stringnut
Red dye (or 'high sulfer') diesel fuel is non taxed (where I am from anyhow) and only to be used in vehicles on non public roadways. That, plus tractors, generators, etc. I believe the sulfur levels were reduced for emissions reasons.

Red dye, off road, fuel does not contain high sulfur content. It is the same as highway diesel. However, there is no road tax paid on it. Hence the red dye to identify it. If it had high sulfur you could not use it in any diesel equipment built after 2007. It plugs the dpf in short order. We are talking a few hours.[/quote]

I saw a Ford Explorer with a new diesel engine in 2009 burned up at just over 1000 miles when I was in Afghanistan. It was a low sulfur engine using high sulfur diesel. The heads were off the engine and the pistons were literally melted to the cylinder walls. Needless to say the company I worked for had to start buying vehicles that could use the high sulfur diesel. I understand they went to Toyota's and were getting them from India.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 11/26/23.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The block heater warms the coolant in the engine block which would warm the fuel in close proximity to the block, filter, pump, etc. I was thinking some if not all had a heater in or near the filter system to warm the fuel coming from the tank. Doesn’t keep fuel from gelling in the tank which I think, is the purpose of winterized fuel and some fuel additives. Could be mistaken.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (338reddog, BABore, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 7 invisible), 1,675 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,953
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.