Print Thread
Hop To
#18955132 11/24/23
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
so let's say your right handed or at least shoot right handed. do you take your magnifier off your optic to the left or the right?..

I'm right-handed truly left eye dominant. fairly new to magnifiers. it came set up to flip off to the right side I switched around to flip off to the left side but I'm beginning to wonder if I messed up and should have left it alone.??

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
I'm right-handed truly left eye dominant.
Sounds like a hot mess,

Myself a lefty, I can relate….

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My Burris came setup to tilt left which I felt was wrong. It was my first time using it and it being on the left interfered with my view using both eyes open with the Eotech. When I got home I turned the mount around to go the other way.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
My Burris came setup to tilt left which I felt was wrong. It was my first time using it and it being on the left interfered with my view using both eyes open with the Eotech. When I got home I turned the mount around to go the other way.
me being cross-eyed dominant maybe why I'm having a hard time making up my mind which way to be. when I use both eyes open to scan but then I need to shut my left eye to make a accurate shot with such setup.

my whole life shooting optics are open sides I just learned to shut my left eye. now the Red Dot systems I can generally keep both eyes open and then just fine. but then you throw this magnifier in the process it's kind of a in between deal and I haven't really decided yet...

pistols are easy to overcome cross eye dominant

shotguns I now have some special glasses that make the process much easier..

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My opinion:

Shoot the gun both ways and see what's more comfortable for you. I have guns with magnifiers and LPVO's, and while I prefer the LPVO by far, I won't [bleep] on someone else's preference. If you are right handed and you prefer to swing the magnifier to the right to clear the left eye FOV, go for it. A clear FOV will contribute to your ability to keep both eyes open while using the rifle.

I used to be a left eye dominant right handed shooter. Not so much an issue with sidearms, but it's definitely an issue if you shoot various rifles and shotguns, as you will be forced to lean your cheek to far over the stock in all the wrong ways to fire with some semblance of accuracy. A 12 gauge shotgun with 000 buck in the pipe will not fail to teach a lesson. I'm now comfortable using my right eye with rifles, and I'm able to maintain focus with both eyes open. Took some serious practice, but you can do it. The crazy part that's hard to explain in plausible terms is that when I pull a sidearm I'm right back to being left eye dominant.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

273 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 36 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,438
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.