Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
JGray Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
There's been a few discussions recently on the 7 PRC and factory ammo velocities. Rather than tag onto one of the other threads, here are results with my Seekins Element (22" barrel). I initially bought 5 boxes of 175 ELDX and 180 ELDM ammo and shot most of that up before handloading for it.

1st session with handloads included 64 - 67 gr of H1000 and 64 - 67 gr of RL26, both with 180 Scenars and Fed 215M's. With the Magnetospeed and firing 1 round with each charge, results were as follows:

Factory 175 ELDX. 2726 fps

64 H1000. 2681.
65 H1000. 2762.
66 H1000. 2770. Light ejector mark
67 H1000. 2845. Noticeable ejector mark

64 RL26. 2833.
65 RL26. 2901. Light ejector mark
66 RL26. 2907. Noticeable ejector mark
67 RL26. 2957. Noticeable ejector mark

I decided on 65 RL26 and loaded a batch to finalize zero and hunt with. 2nd session with that load showed 2887, 2874 and 2882. Basically 2880 fps...

Comparing to my 7 SAUM (24" barrel), 61 gr RL26 and 180 Scenars gives me 2920 fps and no pressure signs. 61.5 gr gives ejector marks and slightly sticky bolt. I haven't experienced a sticky bolt in the 7 PRC but felt I should stop where I did based on ejector marks. Not sure what to think - seems the 7 SAUM equals the 7 PRC with less powder. FWIW, I'm using ADG 7 SAUM brass vs Hornady 7 PRC brass.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff, JG!

Thanks, for putting those numbers up. After almost 80 rounds on my Element in 7PRC. I averaged out at 2767 from boxed 175gr eldx ammo.

I’m headed to the range this second to shoot some preliminary speeds on a new Fierce Carbon Rage in 7PRC with a 24” tube.

My Garmin Xero C1 landed a couple days ago. Curious how the Garmin does. Just the small size alone of the Xero, if it does what it’s supposed to do. Will be a huge win over setting up my Labradar.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for posting that JG.

Be interesting to see how better brass would act in the PRC.

Semper Fi
J
JGray Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Good stuff, JG!

Thanks, for putting those numbers up. After almost 80 rounds on my Element in 7PRC. I averaged out at 2767 from boxed 175gr eldx ammo.

I’m headed to the range this second to shoot some preliminary speeds on a new Fierce Carbon Rage in 7PRC with a 24” tube.

My Garmin Xero C1 landed a couple days ago. Curious how the Garmin does. Just the small size alone of the Xero, if it does what it’s supposed to do. Will be a huge win over setting up my Labradar.

🦫

In a 24", I would think factory ammo should get 2800-2850 and RE26 should get to 2950'ish.

Buddy of mine just sold me his Magnetospeed V3 so he could buy the Garmin. Haven't heard any reports from him yet, but it sounds great.

J
JGray Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

I've been wondering if the ejector marks are due to soft Hornady brass and there's more to be had with ADG or similar. I see ADG is now making 7 PRC.

I did find that neck tension varied somewhat when reloading the Hornady brass. Not confidence inspiring...

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGray

I've been wondering if the ejector marks are due to soft Hornady brass and there's more to be had with ADG or similar. I see ADG is now making 7 PRC.

I did find that neck tension varied somewhat when reloading the Hornady brass. Not confidence inspiring...

I was thinking the same thing myself. The loads and powder you used shouldn’t be straining or redlining anything. I guess you never know but those seemed pretty mild.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hmm. I am trying to decide if a suppressed 7prc Element/180s will make all my other rifles obsolete.

Problem is that I can’t get ‘26.

J
JGray Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
From what I've been reading, quite a few folks are moving away from RL26 in favor of H1000 due to temp stability and consistency. Those doing so seem to feel the benefits are worth the velocity penalty. I have several lbs of both and will be comparing the two in more detail. So far, H1000 seems to group a little more consistently.

J
JGray Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

I located some ADG brass and have some ordered, so will start over with that soon.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I too found some ADG brass and ordered 100 pcs. I noticed ADG's notice to reduce loads due to their heavier brass and smaller volume cases, just like when using military brass. I've been using Hornady cases because that's what I have, looking forward to trying the ADG. Now if Garmin would just hurry up and get more Xero C1 Pro Chronographs on the shelves!

I still have boxes of Hornady 175gr ELD-X and 180gr ELD-M, but very interested in what some handloads will achieve. Not interested in trying to make my 7mm PRC a 28 Nosler, just the best 7mm PRC I can make it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGray

I located some ADG brass and have some ordered, so will start over with that soon.

I’ll be watching!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watching this thread with keen interest. I almost pulled the trigger on a Christensen Arms Mesa FFT but have not because of this very issue. Unless I can get 2900 with a 175 ABLR, I'm not switching from my 270/150 AB set up.

After gacking the numbers, I can't see me packing a rifle that weighs a pound more than my 270, with more recoil to gain 50 or so yards extra wind deflection margin. Meaning - assuming an elk has a 16" vital zone, to keep all bullets inside of 8" max wind deflection is the margin of error so to speak unless you hold for wind. Anything after about 380 yards requires a wind hold if wind is blowing. My 270 load keeps them inside 8" with a 10 mph wind out to 335 yards. The 7 PRC 175 ABLR at 2900 hits 8" at 380. If I wanted to run a 270/150 ABLR, it hits 8" at 365. All bullets mentioned are moving 22-2300 ft/sec at those distances - or fast enough to work. I would never shoot past 500 unless I was dealing with a wounded animal and have passed on animals past 400 more than a few times. Wind is something I don't take lightly. I've seen it blow 180 degrees different between me and my target when shooting across a canyon or ravine.

Possibly the biggest difference may be the frangible bullet thing - but if I'm being honest that is my biggest concern shooting the high BC bullets at significant speed. Anyone that knows me is aware that many of my elk were shot at bow distances in the timber. I think a ABLR would be OK but the ELDX still has me concerned because it's not bonded and I've seen alot of pics of pieces of ELDX bullets. I'd hate to splash one on a close quartering to shot at 2900 and end up with a rodeo.

In the end, if I can get 2900 in a PRC with a 22" barrel, I'll stick my toe in the high BC bullet game. I do think a 175 gr 'more frangible bullet' gives a margin of error on the splash effect. In my mind, the ABLR may be better for what I normally run into.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hodgdon shows over 2900 and nearly 3k with every powder they list with the 175 ABLR in a 24” barrel. I don’t think it’ll be any big trick to make 2900 out of a good 22” barrel.

Hodgdon always seems to be the most grounded and trustworthy in my opinion of what’s possible.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hodgdon shows over 2900 and nearly 3k with every powder they list with the 175 ABLR in a 24” barrel. I don’t think it’ll be any big trick to make 2900 out of a good 22” barrel.

Hodgdon always seems to be the most grounded and trustworthy in my opinion of what’s possible.

Agreed on Hodgdon, although will say, I routinely get a bit more velocity than they do with the same charges. The weird thing is that almost all other powder and bullet maker data says the same thing on the PRC. I'm doubly perplexed on the discrepency because I've owned more than a few 7 mags and 2900 with a 175 was no big deal. I'm starting to think there is something with the Horn brass. I shoot alot of Horn brass (308, 6.5) and have never had an issue. I'm hoping the guys on this thread reshooting with ADG brass post results. I really want to try the 7 PRC - a 22" barrel, 8lb shooting a high BC bullet covers 99% of the animals and ground I hunt.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s certainly where I’ve gotten to myself. Works great for my hunting.

Semper Fi
J
JGray Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bwinters
My 270 load keeps them inside 8" with a 10 mph wind out to 335 yards. The 7 PRC 175 ABLR at 2900 hits 8" at 380. If I wanted to run a 270/150 ABLR, it hits 8" at 365.

In the end, if I can get 2900 in a PRC with a 22" barrel, I'll stick my toe in the high BC bullet game. I do think a 175 gr 'more frangible bullet' gives a margin of error on the splash effect. In my mind, the ABLR may be better for what I normally run into.

I'm curious about your 270 load with the 150 ABLR. I'm also working with that bullet and RL26 in a 1:9 Fieldcraft and getting some inconsistent pressure signs.

In the 7 PRC, I've no doubt that 2900 with 175's is doable in a 22" barrel with RL26, but not sure about other powders.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The ADG brass is great brass it stacks up right with Lapua
The 7 won't be immune to clicker problems either running the ADG without the back end opened up to .535 especially at the 2900fps. Manson even puts it on there website there reamers are saami except they have .535 at the .200 line

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I followed DeanA down the ADG brass path this morning. I have a box coming to try against some once fired Hornady brass casings.

I’m also doing a bullet change out. Again, DeanA lead me to a sample pack of 170gr Hammer bullets I’m going to try along with some 168gr VLD Hunting Bergers. Heck, I’m certain I can at the very least generate some consistent velocity that I’ve been struggling to obtain from my boxes of Horn 175gr eldx ammo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

**I used my Garmin Xero C1 Chronograph yesterday to check some early speeds on my Fierce 7PRC and Fierce Mini Rogue in 6.5 CM. There isn’t anything I hate about the Garmin Xero. For me, it’s a game changer just in portability and ease of set up.

It’s an extremely small unit - palm sized. Even my cell phone is bigger. It comes in a box with a charging cable and small legged tripod that screws into the bottom of the unit. You charge the unit for 4 hours after opening the box. Then you’re ready to set up for shooting.

The Garmin is feature rich with pairing to your cell phone via the Shotview App for those who like stored data on their phone. The unit also allows you to enter a specific bullet you’re shooting - if you want kinetic energy and power factor information. Or, go with simple choreographed speed, without the nuisance of bullet type being fired.

The Xero C1 is using Doppler like Labradar. One could assume Garmin has targeted Labradar users and hoping to take market share and then some from them.

The small unit is extremely easy to get setup and ready for capturing a fired round. I’m far from a tech geek, but where I would sometimes struggle remembering what I needed to do to get my Labradar on ready. I had no issues like that with the Xero C1. It’s very intuitive with simple button pressing to manage and maneuver through the screen.

Another feature of the Garmin, is there isn’t a time limit to get a shot off, like the Labradar would go into sleepy mode. Then you have to hit the button to wake it up. I hated that. I would always feel rushed to take a shot. My eyes were always looking to see if the orange light was still on the LRDR if I was taking longer to get comfortable. The Garmin just sits there waiting, almost indefinitely to capture your shot.

Positioning the Garmin, when using a rifle is a lot simpler than the LBRD. With the LBRD, you must remember where the unit needs to sit in relation to a naked muzzle, which is a different position than if you have a break or suppressor attached. I placed the Garmin where my barrel met the forend of the stock. Worked perfectly. No error reading. I would typically get one or more error readings from my LBRD.

The Garmin is a simple. Just point in the direction of the target (no alignment sight) just point it and place the unit 5” to 10” behind the muzzle on either side of the barrel. Readings from fired shots are fast. I don’t know if the readings on the unit appear faster than a LBRD or a MagnetoSpeed, but it’s an extremely fast reading.

For portability and set up on a shooting table. There’s no comparison to the Xero C1. It’s light as a feather, taking up little to no room on a bench. My LBRD was a PITA to get squared away on my bench.

Smaller is better. Lighter is better. Features are better. Set up for game on, is simpler. To me the Garmin kills the competition in everything that is important to me.

The only question is…How’s its long term durability going to be? That’s the unknown. Guessing I will find out over time.

I forgot. The Garmin does Bow, Pistol, and Airgun as well. With specific settings for each weapon.

I say get one.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My load so far with my Mossberg patriot (El Cheapo)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I painted her so she is "somewhat Prettier".....If I dare to use the word. LOL

All velocities from my FX True Ballistics---Love it!

Still working up withthe heavier bullets

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fortis,

How do you like your Vortex LHT scope?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,546
Posts18,491,649
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.