Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Midway has 62 police revolvers on sale. Quality nowadays? Non returnable.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kennyd
Midway has 62 police revolvers on sale. Quality nowadays? Non returnable.
62 of them? That's a lot. grin

Do you mean Model 1862 (Colt replica) Police Revolvers? Those are cool little guns. Frankly, though, I had one that I really couldn't make work worth a crap. When you buy the pocket sized Colt replicas from Uberti, you are taking a big chance of getting a gun that needs a lot of work to make function correctly.

I've had three, the 49 Pocket Model (.31 caliber), the Pocket Navy 1862 (.36 caliber), and the 1862 Pocket Police (.36 caliber) that you're considering. The 49 worked out of the box, and I still have it. The Pocket Navy needed extensive tuning of the action before its timing was right, but after that, I kept it and still have it. I gave up on trying to get the Pocket Police to work right and sold it at a pawn shop. I actually sent it back for warranty work first. They failed to make it function right, and wouldn't take it back again.

It's the luck of the draw with the Uberti pocket guns. If you want reliable function, you're much more likely to get one that works out of the box if you buy a full sized Colt Navy or Colt Army, or even more so, the Remington New Model Army. I've never come across a Remington New Model Army that didn't work fine right out of the box.

PS Uberti quality is the best of all the Italian replica makers.

Best shot of getting a Colt Pocket Model that works is to find one of the Colt branded Signature Series replicas. They are technically Uberti, but fitted and assembled in the US by a Colt subcontractor (bearing the authentic Colt name), and they tended to work right out of the box because of that.

K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Yes, the 62 police, I have a ,Woolworths. 36 Griswold Gunnison since 1969. I just admire the streamlined baby open tops.
There is a Colt at the LGS for twice the price. Appears unfired, a shame almost to use it. Still looking.

Still up in the air over whether colorado will let one in with out the 3 day wait and FFL--just in case I want to take up train robbery.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yes, the 62 police, I have a ,Woolworths. 36 Griswold Gunnison since 1969. I just admire the streamlined baby open tops.
There is a Colt at the LGS for twice the price. Appears unfired, a shame almost to use it. Still looking.

Still up in the air over whether colorado will let one in with out the 3 day wait and FFL--just in case I want to take up train robbery.
Those are not classified as firearms, and may be sent directly to your door in most states, without going through an FFL or waiting period.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Can you give me a link to the item?

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Those a not classified as firearms, and may be sent directly to your door in most states, without going through an FFL or waiting period.

Here in the hellish State of N. J., you'd need to jump through hoops and apply for a permit to purchase a handgun, then wait for a month or two to have it approved. Wouldn't make any difference even if it was a flintlock.

And even then, Midway wouldn't ship it here.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That doesn't say it's on sale.

Regardless, based on my experience with the Uberti pocket-sized Colt replicas, You have about a one-third chance of being able to use it right out of the box. There's a one-third chance the average gun owner (with some gunsmithing skills) would be able to make it function with a little action work, replacing nipples with higher quality aftermarket nipples, etc., and there's a one-third chance that only a highly experienced gunsmith would be able to make it work worth a damn.

Much better chance of getting a good one if you buy a service sized Uberti cap and ball revolver, like an 1851 Navy or 1860 Army. Best chance of all for an out of the box Uberti or Pietta would be the New Model Army - Remington 1858. For some reason, the Remington replicas just tend to work right out of the box. I've had three of them (Remingtons) from both Uberti and Pietta. I currently have one from Uberti and one from Pietta. Both work great, and never required any work whatsoever to get them to function right at the range. The third one functioned flawlessly, too, but I just didn't need three of them, so sold it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can remember many of these things (not uberti) but off brands from spain I think. Gander Mountain sold them for $69-79 in the late 80s.
Me and a bud each got one summer after high school and packed our own heat. lol

Used to hot load them with jacket hollow points and patches. Somebitch would shatter 8” concrete blocks at 10 yards. Aka what you boomers call cinder blocks.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
I can remember many of these things (not uberti) but off brands from spain I think. Gander Mountain sold them for $69-79 in the late 80s.

Used to hot load them with jacket hollow points and patches. Somebitch would shatter 8” concrete blocks at 10 yards. Aka what you boomers call cinder blocks.
I thought cinder blocks and concrete blocks were two different things.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ash, cinder, concrete

Ya think

If I said concrete, I wouldnt want it construed as sold poured blocks.
Whether the names get glossed over or misconstrued, just so you know they are the hollow void blocks that we use on foundations.
Get any guffer over 60 on a job or job order they will use the term cinder, we call them concrete. The block plant calls them concrete where I buy them. I’m sure the composition are different. Certainly?

We have high strength, lightweights, etc

I know old farts still calling Yellow Wood and pressure trested lumber as WOLMANIZED lumber.
Got old farts calling 6mil foundation vapor barrier “visqueen”

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Uberti quality possibly better than ever, & a surprisingly good price considering the seller.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cinder blocks contain fly ash But EPA frowned on that.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agree. Since Beretta bought them quality went up.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Still have mine. $99 Pietta
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Quality items

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

[Linked Image]
The brass framed ones have always been the much less expensive route, but they don't hold up as well. You will find that the cylinder-forcing cone gap will gradually widen with use. The South used brass frames in their Colt copies because of not having enough steel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hadite blocks.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Did ya get the kit with the fancee powder flask?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

[Linked Image]
The brass framed ones have always been the much less expensive route, but they don't hold up as well. You will find that the cylinder-forcing cone gap will gradually widen with use. The South used brass frames in their Colt copies because of not having enough steel.
This one came with a stern warning not to overload it due to the brass frame.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Stalite block in this neck of the woods. A good bit lighter than a full concrete CMU. Masons love em.

K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I thought the same was 439 last week, and now marked down. Free shipping helps a bit
If iget one I want the small frame, and open top. The old woolsworth (marked Williamson italy) gun does ok, brassframe and all. If I get serious I use a new fangled cartridge six gun. Probably should hold out for a Colt, or at least Taylor reworked gun.

Fewer cinders left from coal burning nowadays. Fly ash for concrete will be next.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The first few years I lived in Texas as a grad student I was classified as a New York resident and therefore could not legally buy a firearm from a dealer.

Consequently my first handgun was a well-used Uberti .44 Remington that the previous owner had shortened that long post front sight to point of aim. I shot it all the time. The mistake I made it would get so fouled during extended firing sessions that the cylinder would get hard to rotate with the hammer. Eventually the pawl chewed up the teeth on the back of the cylinder, new cylinder through the mail and it was good to go.

Eventually I passed it on to the teenage son of a friend who worked on a dude ranch in New Mexico where they would greet the guests on horseback firing guns into the air..

It became his favorite handgun and he would take off by himself for days in the Lincoln National Forest bringing it along as his sidearm. No problems with that particular Uberti.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The first few years I lived in Texas as a grad student I was classified as a New York resident and therefore could not legally buy a firearm from a dealer.

Consequently my first handgun was a well-used Uberti .44 Remington that the previous owner had shortened that long post front sight to point of aim. I shot it all the time. The mistake I made it would get so fouled during extended firing sessions that the cylinder would get hard to rotate with the hammer. Eventually the pawl chewed up the teeth on the back of the cylinder, new cylinder through the mail and it was good to go.

Eventually I passed it on to the teenage son of a friend who worked on a dude ranch in New Mexico where they would greet the guests on horseback firing guns into the air..

It became his favorite handgun and he would take off by himself for days in the Lincoln National Forest bringing it along as his sidearm. No problems with that particular Uberti.
While the Remington reproductions tend to be more reliable than any of the Colt reproductions, the price is that you will need to remove the cylinder of the Remington about every third or fourth cylinderful, clean the cylinder pin and its channel, relube, and reassemble, in order to avoid the problem you speak of. The Colts can go much longer between cleanings like that because of the design of the arbor. Same observation was made during the Civil War.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I got one of them with a 5 1/2 barrel cool fun peace.. mine is a Uberti

Last edited by ldholton; 11/26/23.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ldholton
The 1862 Pocket Police?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ldholton
The 1862 Pocket Police?
yes

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
if you want pictures I can do it to a text number way easier than I can do it to hear from my current location..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cimarron Arms five-shot .380 conversion, distant precursor of the j-frame, dunno if it’s Pietta or Uberti. If’n I had $647.39 plus tax burning a hole in my pocket I could be interested. A home defense arm with class.

[Linked Image from ]

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/cimarron-62-pocket-navy-conversion-380-acp-6.html

IIRC all the various Colt .36 Navy revolvers approximated the muzzle energy of a .380. Wild Bill approved 👍🏻

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I bought an Uberti Hombre SAA in .45 Colt about 3 years ago and I like it very much. So far have put about 200 rounds through it. Seems very well built and shoots accurately.

Last edited by purplelantern; 11/27/23.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by purplelantern
I bought an Uberti Hombre SAA in .45 Colt about 3 years ago and I like it very much. So far have put about 200 rounds through it. Seems very well built and shoots accurately.
They go to much greater lengths to make sure their cartridge guns work than they do to make sure their cap and ball revolvers work. I've owned a few of their cartridge guns and still do. Never had a problem with any of them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Cimarron Arms five-shot .380 conversion, distant precursor of the j-frame, dunno if it’s Pietta or Uberti. If’n I had $647.39 plus tax burning a hole in my pocket I could be interested. A home defense arm with class.

[Linked Image from ]

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/cimarron-62-pocket-navy-conversion-380-acp-6.html

IIRC all the various Colt .36 Navy revolvers approximated the muzzle energy of a .380. Wild Bill approved 👍🏻
Those are very cool. I've been tempted, myself, but word on the street is that none of the open top conversions will hold up to an extensive diet of modern smokeless powder loads. The top being open is a significant weak point when it comes to smokeless powder cartridges. The connection between the barrel, arbor, and frame is just too flimsy to hold up to much of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image from ]

Those are very cool. I've been tempted, myself, but word on the street is that none of the open top conversions will hold up to an extensive diet of modern smokeless powder loads. The top being open is a significant weak point when it comes to smokeless powder cartridges. The connection between the barrel, arbor, and frame is just too flimsy to hold up to much of it.

That's probably why they went with .380 on that particular model.

Seen the .38 spl's shoot decent with light cowboy action loads, but I'd hate to give it a diet of hot loads. Just not made for that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another good source for muzzleloading equipment and guns is Dixie Gun Works.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/

Uberti 1860
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When it comes to cowboy guns I prefer Uberti over say the Ruger. I just like the originality of the Uberti's, and I have found they are made rather well, and can take a LOT of abuse. I have a 7.5" .38WCF that shoots like my Python. My son's Uberti has had nothing but abuse and it keeps going.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Love my Uberti Cattleman .45. Came from the maker with two cylinders: a .45 ACP and a .45 Colt. Flawless function, and shoots dead on, point of aim, point of impact, with both rounds, at typical gunfight distances.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Another good source for muzzleloading equipment and guns is Dixie Gun Works.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/

Uberti 1860
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yepper, the DGW annual catalog was the black powder equivalent of the Sears catalog for many years, just full of cool stuff and load info. I detoured through Union City one time just to visit their showroom. They had a ‘51 Navy on the shelf actually badged Dixie Gun Works like they weren’t any more but they wouldn’t sell it to me.

I forget the name behind the operation, not Val Forget, he was the Navy Arms guy. I hope they are hanging in there OK, I noticed on their website they are no longer open for business on weekends.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Turner Kirkland was the Dixie Gun Works founder

I was there years ago and it was a candy store.
I've noticed since his death that a good bit of
the old standard merchandise has gone away.

I miss Mountain State Muzzleloading too

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Not sure if the Log Cabin Shop is still there.
I saw Track of the Wolf a while back still
online. I guess they're still open

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Not sure if the Log Cabin Shop is still there.
I saw Track of the Wolf a while back still
online. I guess they're still open
Oh yes. I've been ordering from Track of the Wolf for year. Just this year I've ordered some things, like lead round balls, for example.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I imagine T.O.T.W. will probably be the last
place in the nation to buy traditional B.P.
firearms and accoutrements pre war
between the states era

Even Cowbelly's used to have a fair selection
of traditional B.P. goods, but no more.
They all but died after Bass Amateur Shop
bought them out

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranger99
I imagine T.O.T.W. will probably be the last
place in the nation to buy traditional B.P.
firearms and accoutrements pre war
between the states era

Even Cowbelly's used to have a fair selection
of traditional B.P. goods, but no more.
They all but died after Bass Amateur Shop
bought them out

18th century reenacting/trekking has all but vanished after the "golden age" of the 80's-90's. Participation and interest has dropped to near nothing. Once-major events are now no more. Artisans have retired. Vendors have closed up shop. I am told that cowboy/old west shooting interest is likewise plummeting now.

It's just simply a matter of us old people ageing away. Younger people are NOT interested in the eeeevil White man's history. In fact, they often outright despise it, so they're definitely not keen on reliving the horrible, oppressive, rayciss past. And, of course, most aren't the least bit interested in ANYTHING that doesn't involve flashy, state-of-the-art, electronic gizmos.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (44mc, 35, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,729 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,456
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.